Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Steve. this is the thread I had in mind.
Got it. Yours didn't have that top plate did it? I emailed someone that will know.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #16
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
If you are correct, then I was mistaken...perhaps you can tell me this:

I replaced my "factory-hurst" with the after-market hurst...seemed to go ok and shift ok...what about brackets, etc. with that combo?

Also I have taken out a stock shifter and it appeared identical in over-all dimenstions to the "factory hurst"...and "bracket" appeared identical.

perhaps I was confused by the photos or whatever...or missed something along the way...your knowledge and assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
Yes- the factory GM/Hurst shifter can be replace with the aftermarket Hurst without changing the bracket. This is due to the way the main pivot bearing is housed/retained in the aftermarket shifter. The aftermarket Hurst shifter was specifically designed for this possibility. This is why you didn't have a problem.

The factory GM/Hurst lever and bracket are different than the stock shifter. The geometry is different as well as some of the material and construction methods used to make them. The differences may appear subtle (most people won't notice them just eye-balling the parts) but they are different.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #17

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
Yes- the factory GM/Hurst shifter can be replace with the aftermarket Hurst without changing the bracket. This is due to the way the main pivot bearing is housed/retained in the aftermarket shifter. The aftermarket Hurst shifter was specifically designed for this possibility. This is why you didn't have a problem.

The factory GM/Hurst lever and bracket are different than the stock shifter. The geometry is different as well as some of the material and construction methods used to make them. The differences may appear subtle (most people won't notice them just eye-balling the parts) but they are different.
Thanks for the info. However, I was surprised that when I looked into the aftermarket shifter, I never heard mention that the only true correct installation would be from factory hurst to billet plus. Meaning if you were to install billet plus to replace factory stock, the "bracket" would need to be changed to get the correct pivot point, etc.

My concern is for those who may have gone from stock shifter to billet plus and not been aware of this. Perhaps this is where the majority of vibration/noise issues are coming from?

Thanks again.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
Every Factory Hurst I see for sale includes that bracket, thats why its a $500+ piece. The aftermarket Hurst fits the stock bracket, thats why its a $169 item.
The guy that sold you yours probably still has your bracket in his car.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
Every Factory Hurst I see for sale includes that bracket, thats why its a $500+ piece. The aftermarket Hurst fits the stock bracket, thats why its a $169 item.
The guy that sold you yours probably still has your bracket in his car.
I think you mean the after market hurst fits the stock bracket that was for the factory hurst...the aftermarket hurst should not "fit" the stock bracket for the stock shifter(non factory hurst bracket) correct? Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
Quote:
I think you mean the after market hurst fits the stock bracket that was for the factory hurst...the aftermarket hurst should not "fit" the stock bracket for the stock shifter(non factory hurst bracket) correct? Thanks
No, I think I mean the aftermarket fits the stock. Thats why they make them, to fit those that didnt come with the Factory Hurst.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
Thanks for the info. However, I was surprised that when I looked into the aftermarket shifter, I never heard mention that the only true correct installation would be from factory hurst to billet plus. Meaning if you were to install billet plus to replace factory stock, the "bracket" would need to be changed to get the correct pivot point, etc.

My concern is for those who may have gone from stock shifter to billet plus and not been aware of this. Perhaps this is where the majority of vibration/noise issues are coming from?

Thanks again.
This is also incorrect. The aftermarket Hurst shifter (Billet/Plus) fits in exactly the same way for the factory stock AND the factory Hurst brackets... connecting directly from the bottom. Thus the shifter geometry for the Hurst shifter (Billet/Plus) is exactly the same in both brackets.

Vibration and noise come from the engine and transmission. Some Camaros have much more NVH coming from the engine and transmission than other Camaros (mine happens to be one of them). The stock shifter was designed to specifically try to hide this... but in doings so, they had to make it soft and spongy. The aftermarket Hurst shifter is a solid design and thus will feel much more directly connected to the transmission but will also transmit more NVH. It has been designed to connect the driver directly to the transmission and engine without hiding anything.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
When I bought my GM Hurst Synergy series shifter(red stitching on the shifter and boot) it replaces the entire shifter, bracket and all. It may or may not work without doing it, but you may have alignment issues.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151360
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
This is also incorrect. The aftermarket Hurst shifter (Billet/Plus) fits in exactly the same way for the factory stock AND the factory Hurst brackets... connecting directly from the bottom. Thus the shifter geometry for the Hurst shifter (Billet/Plus) is exactly the same in both brackets.

Vibration and noise come from the engine and transmission. Some Camaros have much more NVH coming from the engine and transmission than other Camaros (mine happens to be one of them). The stock shifter was designed to specifically try to hide this... but in doings so, they had to make it soft and spongy. The aftermarket Hurst shifter is a solid design and thus will feel much more directly connected to the transmission but will also transmit more NVH. It has been designed to connect the driver directly to the transmission and engine without hiding anything.

Thanks for clearing that up for me...I love the Hurst billet...I get a little noise in mine when on it hard in second and sometimes third...no noise at all if I keep my hand on the shifter...and I did not put in the noise reduction kit!!..It's just fine for me. thanks again.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
90503, have you tried to put the factory knob back on? I noticed that all the rattling went away when I used the factory knob instead of the Hurst knob. The hurst knob rattled like crazy and I could hear some kind of swooshing sound like air passing through or something. I checked everything and it's fine. It all went away after I used the factory knob.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
90503, have you tried to put the factory knob back on? I noticed that all the rattling went away when I used the factory knob instead of the Hurst knob. The hurst knob rattled like crazy and I could hear some kind of swooshing sound like air passing through or something. I checked everything and it's fine. It all went away after I used the factory knob.
I might try that one of these days...I just like the old school Hurst look...

I still have the noise reduction kit...might put the pads on the stick/spline part on top and see what happens...

Congrats on finding the clip!! lol
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
I might try that one of these days...I just like the old school Hurst look...

I still have the noise reduction kit...might put the pads on the stick/spline part on top and see what happens...

Congrats on finding the clip!! lol

Haha thanks!

Yeah I preferred the hurst knob as well but I couldn't live with the noise.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Haha thanks!

Yeah I preferred the hurst knob as well but I couldn't live with the noise.
yeah, my "noise" was pretty minor, I thought, only in a couple gears, completely goes away if I just keep my hand on the shifter...

I started out with the factory/hurst...if I could have put a chrome stick and ball on that, I would have left it alone!!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
glad you found the clip. I know how that noise thing is. Mine drove me nuts lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote