Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #43
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
I didn't see the back end, but it was a woman driver. She pulled in behind me to take the ramp onto Glenmore around 4:30, then beside me until we went separate ways.

Can't put 18's on the SS due to the Brembos. I have 19's all around. Mine's a manual and its easy enough to slow the car down without brakes, but have to be careful gearing down at high rpm's if roads are icy.

BTW, I'm a lady driver too and had no problems winter driving. The back end will slide out around corners if you are going too fast, but the TC kicks in. Depending on where I was - I'd turn mine off for a little extra fun... Made me giggle every time. Some may feel you are crazy for driving it, but honestly, its reliable, heavy and just as fun in the winter as summer.

The only time I wouldn't drive mine is when the snow got too deep in our culdesac. Not using my splitter as a plow!! The pic is coming home from work....

Good for you! I, too, am a lady driver who travels through the already snow covered Sierra Nevada mountains via Interstate 80. This thoroughfare is not for the faint of heart; but my SS gets me where I want to go. I carry a shovel to get off my block, rather than wait on the snow plow.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #44
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Your good to go, Dont let these people fool you or make you feel bad about driving in the winter , 1st off these cars are tanks in the snow 8-10 inches is no problem, The smartest thing you did was buy snow tires . You will have a blast all winter .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #45
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Don't park on the street where sand or salt trucks fling out millions of paint-killing projectiles!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #46
Camaro_Firebird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS black 6 speed
I have a 2010 SS and have driven it in the snow.... not good. Tires are too wide and you may get stuck in a parking lot trying to back out. Buy a winter car.
Camaro_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #47
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Firebird View Post
I have a 2010 SS and have driven it in the snow.... not good. Tires are too wide and you may get stuck in a parking lot trying to back out. Buy a winter car.
It's not that the tires are too wide... stock SS tires are summer only and are plain dangerous to drive in anything more than a dusting of snow. I tried driving in about 10cm (4") of snow on the stock tires and did not do well... my neighbour had to push me back into my driveway.

To the guy posting from Michigan who is considering coming to Ontario for Krown rust proofing I would say go for it. They have a very good warranty and stand behind their product.

OP correct me if I'm wrong but in Alberta they use sand and stone instead of salt. So you've got a different set of problems with stone chips and windshield cracking but corrosion isn't what it is here in Ontario. Drive safe and you'll be fine

Last edited by detamble13; 09-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #48
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Firebird View Post
Yes, wide tires are bad for snow (in addition to performance tires). You want narrow tires to sink down into the snow and maximize the force over area. That's one of the reasons I put my snow tires on 18 inch steelies instead of getting snow tires for the 20 RS wheels. I know the steelies won't fit over the SS Brembos, but I'm sure there are other options for SS folks.

The right tires make all the difference in the world. I bought my car in the middle of the winter (year end deal) and I couldn't even get it in the driveway with RS wheels and tires. Now that it has Blizzaks and more narrow wheels it handles great in the snow. The only time you even notice it's rear wheel drive is when accelerating a bit too fast around a corner. It accelerates off the line with no fishtailing and handles deep snow without any problems.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #49
nvofevery1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 6 Sp Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Winter cannot come soon enough for us Floridians!
True statement!!

And don't waste your SS Camaro in the Winter! Spend 5 grand, get an old reliable 4Runner and you're g2g!

nvofevery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #50
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Proper Camaro Winter Check List:

(1) Beater Car ( )
(2) Park Camaro in garage ( )
(3) Change Oil ( )
(4) Car Cover ( )

haha
(5) battery tender
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #51
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
No 'anti-scratch' snow brush is saving your paint from the brush.

To remove snow from the car, use your hands. Don't wear a coat or jacket with an exposed zipper or buttons, or rings on the gloves or cuffs.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #52
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Yes, wide tires are bad for snow (in addition to performance tires). You want narrow tires to sink down into the snow and maximize the force over area. That's one of the reasons I put my snow tires on 18 inch steelies instead of getting snow tires for the 20 RS wheels. I know the steelies won't fit over the SS Brembos, but I'm sure there are other options for SS folks.

The right tires make all the difference in the world. I bought my car in the middle of the winter (year end deal) and I couldn't even get it in the driveway with RS wheels and tires. Now that it has Blizzaks and more narrow wheels it handles great in the snow. The only time you even notice it's rear wheel drive is when accelerating a bit too fast around a corner. It accelerates off the line with no fishtailing and handles deep snow without any problems.
What about caliper covers on a 2LT RS? Think there would be a fit problem?
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #53
StealthZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Whoa. I truly feel for you Camaro owners who live in those aggressive climates. I guess I'm spoiled living in Las Vegas where the weather is optimal.
StealthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
What about caliper covers on a 2LT RS? Think there would be a fit problem?
How far do the caliper covers stick out past the calipers? I would find a V6 with the steel wheels and see what kind of gap there is to the calipers. I doubt it would be an issue.

I'd tell you what kind of clearance I have, but I won't put my winter wheels on for another month or so.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #55
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Proper Camaro Winter Check List:

(1) Beater Car ( )
(2) Park Camaro in garage ( )
(3) Change Oil ( )
(4) Car Cover ( )

haha
We have a winner!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #56
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
It's not that the tires are too wide... stock SS tires are summer only and are plain dangerous to drive in anything more than a dusting of snow. I tried driving in about 10cm (4") of snow on the stock tires and did not do well... my neighbour had to push me back into my driveway.

To the guy posting from Michigan who is considering coming to Ontario for Krown rust proofing I would say go for it. They have a very good warranty and stand behind their product.

OP correct me if I'm wrong but in Alberta they use sand and stone instead of salt. So you've got a different set of problems with stone chips and windshield cracking but corrosion isn't what it is here in Ontario. Drive safe and you'll be fine
The city seems to have changed up the mix, the sand gravel mix is a lot finer than what's been used in the past. In all honesty, my windshield is cracked in 4 places and not one was from the winter. Stupid summer construction season and trucks dumping boulders off their loads have caused every one except 1 (which was actually thrown up by another camaro on a cruise in August).
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, tires, winter driving