Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Question I need advice fellas!

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to look at my post! Im in a little bit of a predicament here... basically I am stuck in between getting a tune or not... the only thing that is holding me back is my power train warranty getting voided. Say something bad were to happen to my car, and I needed maintenance, would I be able to have my PCM flashed back to its stock strategy, leaving it absolutely untraceable by a dealership? I was actually offered a tune for free, and id hate to pass it up... tell me what you think guys! Btw, 118mph speed govenor on my car... dont want that since I upgraded tires and wheels! > Thanks
CamaroJoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
family man

Drives: .
The dealer will know if you had a tune even if you returned it to the stock tune. So it's up to you if you want to roll the dice and take a chance. Do you have any mods that require to need a tune?
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
warranty you can kiss goodbye. but the dealership would have to prove that your tune caused whatever to go wrong. like you can tune your car and your side mirror stops working. its still under warranty once you flash your car you cant do the oki doke and flash it back. they will still know its been flashed. also do you have any engine mods, like exhaust, CAI, headers, etc. if not you will want to get RETUNED when you add that stuff later
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
CamaroJoe96

Thanks for the reply guys! I have an axle back exhaust and an injen CAI, any thoughts? Planning on high flow cats as well
Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
I wouldnt worry about getting a tube unless you were doing some more serious mods. Long tube headers would require a tune, but since you have 2013 you can't get headers, so I wouldn't worry about it.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
so far you really dont have anything that requires a tune or will even be worth losing your warranty for. i would hold off untill what you have the mods that require the tune.
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
and if the ECM/PCM are EVER touched the dealer WILL KNOW. even going back to 'stock perimeters' the dealer will know it's been accessed.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
CamaroJoe, when you are ready for a tune, just go for it! I was a bit hesitant as well about losing my warranty, but the engine runs so much more efficiently that there really isn't much that can go wrong. Got my car tuned and don't regret it one bit! It's only if you get a "bad" tune that something may go wrong, but just find a reputable tuner and you should be fine.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
CamaroJoe96

Thank you all for going out of your way to give me your input! I'm gonna go with Iwantone2 on this one, im actually getting the tune for free, and I'm gonna "roll the dice on this one" thanks again guys!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
Thank you all for going out of your way to give me your input! I'm gonna go with Iwantone2 on this one, im actually getting the tune for free, and I'm gonna "roll the dice on this one" thanks again guys!
Let us know the difference after getting it. I'd love to hear of the noticeable gains!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
haha i dont blame you i would do the same thing but it thought i would try and give you the "grown up" advice haha
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
CamaroJoe96

Ill let you guys know how it is! I know I may not have a lot of mods, but honestly after I get my high flow cats in the future, theres really nothing more to do performance wise, being the fact that I cant get headers. Mainly, I just want that annoying govenor off, and be able to use my mods to their full potential... I thankyou all again for your help! Keep my power train in your prayers!
Joey
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Question: Do you take the car to the track?

If not, I never feel the need to "use my mods to their full potential" on regular roads, I never go over 100 on a normal road, and even on the track 118+ is not really necessary depending on what you're doing.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1LE View Post
Question: Do you take the car to the track?

If not, I never feel the need to "use my mods to their full potential" on regular roads, I never go over 100 on a normal road, and even on the track 118+ is not really necessary depending on what you're doing.

not to mention if a cop catches ya doing that your going to jail, getting criminal charges, and having your car impounded. and also instantly become un-insurable.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1ls, 3.6l, advice, tune