Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
I came up to a stick driver's worst nightmare today... a dreaded stop sign on top of a huge incline! And of course, some jerk pulls up right behind me, leaving me no room for error... so I went for it, being quick off the clutch and on the gas, when this thing called "hill climb assist" came on, and I actually felt the car push me forward! How awesome! Any of you guys have any experiences with this too?
I'm so glad I don't have this

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #44
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Based on threads about it, I'm glad my 2010 doesn't have it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #45
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuzen View Post
Not too many hills in SC, but the ones I do come to a stop on, I usually just hold the clutch and gas peddle so I don't need the brake.
Feathering the clutch and gas pedal to keep the vehicle stopped on an incline will wear the clutch out prematurely, not a great idea.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Idiot proofing vehicles. Kind of like the light that comes on in most cars/trucks now: "Hey stupid, I know you're too lazy to check your tires, but they're low on pressure...get your lazy ass out and fill them up.". I saw a Dodge Ram the other day going down the road with about 4lbs. of pressure in his passenger side front tire. In his defense, it is a far walk around to the other side of the truck to check before he left the house.
you don't think maybe he picked up a nail or something while driving that's the point of the TPMS . to let you know when a situation like that has occurred. not so you don't have to check your tire pressure. it's helped me several times.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #47
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
Feathering the clutch and gas pedal to keep the vehicle stopped on an incline will wear the clutch out prematurely, not a great idea.
all the way in, or all the way out.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #48
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
you don't think maybe he picked up a nail or something while driving that's the point of the TPMS . to let you know when a situation like that has occurred. not so you don't have to check your tire pressure. it's helped me several times.
No, he didn't pick up a nail. He had just pulled out of his driveway. Thanks for your concern though.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #49
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword5 View Post
Try doing that in a double bucket truck that is four times bigger than your car.
My Camaro is an A6, but I have had issues when driving a truck loaded with soybeans or rice. Fun times...
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
Compuzen

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It's not usually for much more than a few seconds or much of an incline. Its one of the perks to living in southern South Carolina.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Compuzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
Hill assist as handicapped me more than helped me in my opinion. It would be great if just a bit more subtle.
With a new Camaro on the way, I am curious to know how this has handicapped you? TO me it just seems like it may help someone like my wife who gets very nervous about the steep hill / stick shift situation. Having not driven it, it seems like a good feature!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #52
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
No you don't. It's actually made people turn away from buying a camaro. It's horribly designed in how it works. If you can't get going on a hill get an automatic.
If a person is going to give up the opportunity to own and operate a great performance car that can do the things the Camaro SS/1LE and ZL1 can do because of hill assist, then they were not buying the car for the right reason anyway. If it stops them from buying an LT or LS, then the great performance value is not importatnt to them anyway.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #53
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
Bad, bad plan!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #54
zackex

Drives: 45th Camaro SS
If you don't have the skill for a hill start or the hill is extreme then use the EEEEEE Brake it's that simple now go out and find a hill.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #55
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Having not driven it, it seems like a good feature!
Well there's your problem. You haven't driven it. If you had you would realize its either not designed properly, or its not working as designed. It doesn't release the brake as it should which leads to aggravation at best and dangerously stalling out at worst.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #56
gajagfan

OK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Well there's your problem. You haven't driven it. If you had you would realize its either not designed properly, or its not working as designed. It doesn't release the brake as it should which leads to aggravation at best and dangerously stalling out at worst.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like it could be trouble. If it is, I am sure GM will correct the problem, or we as drivers will learn how to deal with it.