Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Post Street Slayer Ultra Performance Clutches Data/Info

Today is the day! As some of you may know, over the past few months, we at Hendrix Engineering have been working with RPS Clutches, the leader in carbon clutch technology, to develop a new line of ultra performance clutches know as the Street Slayers. Unlike other clutches on the market, the Street Slayers were developed to hold massive amounts of power, while at the same time, keeping the engagement as smooth as a baby's bottom. To fit everyone's needs, we offer twin and triple disc clutches and several modifications to each model. It doesn't matter if you just drive your Camaro to and from work, or you are a full blown drag racing enthusiast; we have a Street Slayer Clutch for you. Our Street Slayer Twin series is the only "Full-Carbon" line of clutches available for the Camaro. The twins are designed to handle any abuse you throw at them, and are manufactured with longevity in mind. Most importantly, the twins feature factory like, smooth engagement, which makes for outstanding drivability. They're so smooth you just might forget that it's a twin disc clutch. With our carbon clutches, you will never have to worry about warping or bending. Our carbon clutches are so strong that the can withstand extreme temperatures higher than the melting point of steel without changing shape! Another great feature of our Street Slayers is that each one is fully rebuildable! Never again will you have to throw your old clutch in the dumpster and buy a whole new kit. All you have to do is order a rebuild kit, and your Street Slayer will be back to new in no time! Last but certainly not least, we offer a triple disc clutch, the Street Slayer Triple. It is also a "Full Carbon" clutch, meaning it shares the same features as our twin disc clutches and then some!

The first clutch in our twin disc lineup is the Street Slayer Twin, which is rated at 700 lbs-ft of torque. The Street Slayer Twin is a fantastic street clutch with extraordinary long life and factory smooth engagement. We use a full carbon floater plate which is GUARANTEED not to warp. this is because the carbon we use to make the plate can withstand temperatures over the melting point of steel without changing shape! Our competitors use steel floater plates that warp over time because of heat build up. A warped floater reeks havoc on your transmission, causing missed shifts, pre-mature syncro, and clutch wear. The all new Street Slayer Twin uses half carbon discs for better wear and heat resistance than standard full organic twin disc clutches. The floater side of each disc uses carbon friction to rub against the floater surface. This causes real carbon on carbon friction, which is designed to rub only against itself. The other side of each disc uses a high grade organic material just like the original Street Slayer. The outer disc utilizes a marcel spring that provides the factory smooth engagement feel. The Street Slayer Twin, like all of our carbon clutches, is fully rebuildable. The flywheel can be resurfaced, while The pressure plate ring, both clutch discs, and the floater plate are replaceable.

Street Slayer Twin:

The Street Slayer Twin Carbon is the next twin disc clutch in the Street Slayer lineup, rated at 750 LBS-FT to the tire! It has the same basic features as the Street Slayer Twin, as well as a few upgrades. This is a FULL carbon clutch featuring a FULL carbon floater plate, which eliminates the possibility of a warping associated with steel plates, and two FULL carbon discs. The Street Slayer Twin Carbon comes equipped with an aluminum pressure plate to lower the weight by 6 pounds. Other competitors only use organic facings with a heavier cast iron pressure plate. However, Our clutch is made from the finest aerospace carbon material available anywhere in the world. This is “real” carbon, which means it was designed to rub against itself. That is why every wear surface is covered in carbon. Don’t be fooled by any other clutch calling itself carbon, when the carbon discs rub against a steel flywheel, floater, or pressure plate. Other features include long life, fully rebuildable, great high RPM shifts, and most importantly a reasonable price. The Street Slayer Twin Carbon is almost the same clutch as our Street Slayer Twin Billet, but it comes with a considerably cheaper price. The only difference between the two is the Street Twin cover versus the Billet cover.

Street Slayer Twin Carbon:

Next up in our twin disc line is the Street Slayer Twin Billet, which is great for any serious racer looking for better 60-ft times or lap times. This is the best value in full Carbon twin disc clutches on the market, ensuring that you get the most bang for your buck. This clutch uses our unique "Strapless" design with a new billet aluminum cover and pressure plate. Our design replaces the traditional three strap system used to locate the old cast iron pressure plate in a steel cover. Our new system not only makes for a much lighter clutch, but also a stronger clutch. The Street Slayer Twin Billet does not use a marcel spring in the outer disc. Light weight discs and super fast shifts are very important features of our Twin Billet line of clutches, which is why the marcel spring is not included. Even without the marcel spring, this clutch drives smoother on the street than just about any twin disc clutch. This particular clutch holds up to 800 lbs-ft of torque to the tire. The discs in our Billet series are the lightest discs that we offer. The Street Slayer Twin Billet designed to transfer all of the power from under the hood to the ground! The Street Slayer Twin Billet is also fully rebuildable.

Street Slayer Twin Billet:

If you think the Twin Billet was badass, then you will love this one. Add another carbon disc and floater plate to the Street Slayer Twin Billet, and what do you have? A Street slayer Triple! The ultimate high performance FULL carbon clutch! This clutch is for any hardcore racer pushing 1000+ HP, then this is the clutch for you. It is the best full Carbon Triple Disc clutch on the market and is rated at 1200 lb-ft of torque! These clutches also use our unique "Strapless" design with a new billet aluminum cover and pressure plate, which replaces the traditional three strap system used to locate the old cast iron pressure plate in a steel cover, which makes for a significantly lighter and stronger clutch. This clutch does not use a marcel spring in the outer disc, because lighter weight discs and super fast shifts are a very important feature of our Street Slayer Triple. Also, since this is a Triple Disc clutch, we are able use smaller diameter discs than the Twin, which ensures the lowest possible inertia. Even without the marcel, this clutch drives smoother on the street than any other triple disc clutch. This clutch is great for the serious racer who is looking for better 60-ft times, as well as better lap times. All Street Slayer Carbon clutches use full carbon floater plates to eliminates the warping and bending associated with standard steel plates. This clutch was developed with longevity in mind and is fully rebuildable. The Street Slayer Triple can be special ordered with the capability of holding up to 1500 FT. LBS. to the tire!

Street Slayer Triple:
Old 12-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Post Why Clutch Pedal Sticks

Why Clutch Pedals Stick

There has been at lot of talk and speculation over the past couple of years as to why many stock GM clutch pedals stick to the floor during high RPM shifts. Here is the actual reason why and the only proper solution.

First, I have some background information so we are all on the same page. Most everyone with a sticking pedal problem can agree that the problem gets worse at higher RPM, and the problem really shows up at the end of a long straight. During normal driving, at RPM’s below 5,000, there are generally no problems at all, but over 6,000 and certainly over 7,000, the clutch pedal often sticks to the floor during a shift. Only when the RPM’s fall back down, does the pedal return to normal. This is a classic case of centrifugal force at work:, and the higher the RPM, the higher the centrifugal force.

A vector is the magnitude and direction of a given force; in this case centrifugal. GM and most aftermarket clutch companies use a long curved finger at the tip of the diaphragm mainly to give that "light pedal feel". The problem with this design, and the real reason behind the sticking pedal problem is: when the pedal is pushed to the floor during a shift, these curved fingers go below the horizontal line that is parallel to the flywheel. When this happens, the direction of force or "vector" on these finger tips is pointed towards the flywheel, helping to push the pedal down. The problem with this is that at high RPM, this vector helps to much.

The solution is a flat diaphragm that does not use a curved finger tip to help push the pedal down. The down side to this is a slightly heavier pedal during high RPM shifts, but the up side is no sticking pedal at even 8,000 RPM. We are proud that we have finally figured out a proper solution to this annoying problem. All of our twin and triple disc clutches use only flat diaphragms.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Reserved for more Info!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
I sent you guys a PM last week and still haven't heard from you. I called this morning and left a message. I sure would like more info on the Street Slayer Triple Carbon Clutch Kit !!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
I'm sure he will get back to you, he isn't one to let anybody slip threw the cracks.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
I'm sure he will get back to you, he isn't one to let anybody slip threw the cracks.
I better get a phone call or PM soon or I will be looking elsewhere. I got referred to him by Robert (SSE 4 2SS) and it's not looking good for them.

EDIT: I just got a call from Thomas, he has been traveling since Thursday last week and hasn't been on the computer.. Order Placed !!

Thanks Thomas,
Keith

Last edited by Camaro21; 06-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Triple!!!

Keith your gonna love it !!!
Name:  clutch3.jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  168.2 KB

I love mine even tho i havent drove it yet ..
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I've driven mine, fairly hard... and absolutely love it...

Release is simple, with no indication whatsoever of the on off switch I had with my other clutch...

It's smooth and easy to engage, and the full engagement is pretty high up so I have no doubt it is fully dis-engaging...

Pedal pressure is very light comparatively speaking... probably about the same as the stock clutch... but it certainly holds a heck of a lot more than any other clutch I've used...

This thing is a home run in any park...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I've driven mine, fairly hard... and absolutely love it...

Release is simple, with no indication whatsoever of the on off switch I had with my other clutch...

It's smooth and easy to engage, and the full engagement is pretty high up so I have no doubt it is fully dis-engaging...

Pedal pressure is very light comparatively speaking... probably about the same as the stock clutch... but it certainly holds a heck of a lot more than any other clutch I've used...

This thing is a home run in any park...

Agreed....I had this clutch on my Whipple setup and it was the absolute deal. Hands down the best clutch I've ever driven and fyi it completely cured the sticking pedal issue.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
please tell me your clutches come with the reaper bumper sticker

Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
I plan on going with the twin billet clutch for my twin turbo build. Does any body know if these are made once the order is placed or does tom keep them in stock.

SSE 4 2SS how do you like your TTI kit? I got the same thing but running alot less power..lol. Id like to keep mine around the 600rwhp mark

Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
I see a triple in my future. I will have to see how long the RXT holds up to my new motor and bigger power!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
That would be freaking awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
please tell me your clutches come with the reaper bumper sticker
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Haven't posted up on my triple results since a stuck open fuel injector changed my plans just before the weekend I wanted to test things. (flooded my exhaust system) Then found the new comp cams valve seals working there way off. Could be back on the road already, but in Mod Mode again

So far was very pleased with the triple carbon setup. Just a little more pedal pressure than stock (with my LPE return spring)..... but much less than the ZR1 CX max clutch. Releases alot higher as Robert stated.... no doubt it's getting full release. Tranny also installs alot easier with the Pfadt engine mounts since more clearance than ZR1 pressure plate. Still have to remove one mount and balance on tranny jack though, since mounts won't droop like the soft OEM ones. 1st gear takes a little more concentration.... mostly from totally changing the pedal engagement point. I was so used to low engagement that higher engagement threw me off at first. I still need to test my high rpm shifts, but so far very impressed with the Street Slayer Billet Triple Carbon setup
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood

Closed Thread

Tags
camaro, clutch, hendrix engineering, street slayer