Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf80 View Post
And when the 2SS FINALLY comes in and is broken in, you betcha that there will be race results between us....=]
Should be a good run. That 3L Twin Turbo is a very nice engine ... it really has the power curve of a nice V8 !!

Crowley
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
its up to you they are similar yet totally different at the same time lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
Don't compare lease payments to purchase payments...

At the end of the lease you own nothing and you can't mod the car if you want to...

Better off with american V8 and the ultra low cost of maintaince..

Not to mention the Camaro SS should be faster.

Support america and buy american brands..

Just my personal preference..
I am leasing my Camaro through a bank... thats what our family does with all our cars
If you do not plan on keeping the car for too long why buy it? and I am gonna mod mine but towards the end of the lease you put it for sale for at least the amount you owe or more if you can get it and you are all good

cheaper payments when you lease

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #17
K-A

Drives: M-B E350 AMG Sport / '09 Malibu
Straight line performance, reliability (presumably), cost of owning/maintenance after the Warranty period, bang for the buck and $$ factor: Camaro SS.

Everything else: Bimmer.

The 335 may not be everyones cup of tea as nothing ever is, but it's in a different league than the Camaro, whether you're interested in that league is a different story.

....One thing to remember is those TT V6's are beasts with some (even light) mods are pure beasts. Once both cars start modding I would say it could be anyones game, and we all know how easy and relatively cheap it can be to squeeze power out of a boosted car.
'13 F10 BMW 535i ///M Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

K-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Straight line performance, reliability (presumably), cost of owning/maintenance after the Warranty period, bang for the buck and $$ factor: Camaro SS.

Everything else: Bimmer.

The 335 may not be everyones cup of tea as nothing ever is, but it's in a different league than the Camaro, whether you're interested in that league is a different story.

....One thing to remember is those TT V6's are beasts with some (even light) mods are pure beasts. Once both cars start modding I would say it could be anyones game, and we all know how easy and relatively cheap it can be to squeeze power out of a boosted car.
VERY well said. The 335i is one hell of a car....IMO one of the best in the world in terms of versatility and power. Yeah, it can run up to about 50K it you get trigger happy with the options....but it is in a different league to be sure.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
mega

Drives: 2007 mini cooper S
I did not want to wait on the camaro, so I went with a 135i, I dont like the 335i too big and they did not feel right, but the 135i feels really good

and for those that dont think it compares to the SS, be careful, at a stoplight they are the same, 1/4 mile will give that SS an advantage though, 135i's are putting down 4.6 - 4.7 0-60 stock, and not many stay stock long, the chips are really cheap now

I love the camaro but the overall package on the 135i sold me
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
VERY well said. The 335i is one hell of a car....IMO one of the best in the world in terms of versatility and power. Yeah, it can run up to about 50K it you get trigger happy with the options....but it is in a different league to be sure.

As far as capability, the 335i is top of the line when it comes to German cars.

Aftermarket is as deep and extensive as your pockets would need to be in order to pay for the parts. And the car, when it breaks.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

As far as capability, the 335i is top of the line when it comes to German cars.

Aftermarket is as deep and extensive as your pockets would need to be in order to pay for the parts. And the car, when it breaks.

the 335i or 135i engine is something like 15,000 $ to replace, top & bottom ends, one member from another forum had both turbo's go out, running too muhc boost, he got an expensive repair bill

chips are very cheap on the n54 now, jb3's are 300 $

on the jb3 chip, with cats and an intake they are getting 439rwhp & 448lbs. tq with 91 octane, and the 135i is a lighter car
Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
the 335i or 135i engine is something like 15,000 $ to replace, top & bottom ends, one member from another forum had both turbo's go out, running too muhc boost, he got an expensive repair bill

chips are very cheap on the n54 now, jb3's are 300 $

on the jb3 chip, with cats and an intake they are getting 439rwhp & 448lbs. tq with 91 octane, and the 135i is a lighter car
I can think of about 10,000 things, including dropping my schlong in a blender, that I'd rather do before I own a BMW running too much boost out of warranty.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I can think of about 10,000 things, including dropping my schlong in a blender, that I'd rather do before I own a BMW running too much boost out of warranty.
there's thousands doing it, for the most part bmw's are bulletproof, with some exceptions

on the one that I know of that's blown, his turbo's grenaded into the intake track, and he ran it with metal all in everything, realistically the intercooler should have stopped most of the debris
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #24
Aldrich Z06

Drives: 02 z06,10 2SS/RS, 04 Duramax,11 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I did not want to wait on the camaro, so I went with a 135i, I dont like the 335i too big and they did not feel right, but the 135i feels really good

and for those that dont think it compares to the SS, be careful, at a stoplight they are the same, 1/4 mile will give that SS an advantage though, 135i's are putting down 4.6 - 4.7 0-60 stock, and not many stay stock long, the chips are really cheap now

I love the camaro but the overall package on the 135i sold me
The 135 M is coming out in 2014 with a four banger and twin turbos and weigh less than 2900 pounds. The M3 is going back to a 6 cyclinder, and they are concidering a V6, that would be a first. The V6 would be better balance but the inline would be lighter. I build the X5 and the X6 and the M version of the two both have twin Garrett twin scroll turbos with 550 hp & 502 lb-ft from 1800 rpm on. I build BMWs but I a Chevy fan from day one.
My first car when I was 17 was a 67 SS 396 4 speed Chevelle.
Aldrich Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #25
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
its up to you they are similar yet totally different at the same time lol

I am leasing my Camaro through a bank... thats what our family does with all our cars
If you do not plan on keeping the car for too long why buy it? and I am gonna mod mine but towards the end of the lease you put it for sale for at least the amount you owe or more if you can get it and you are all good

cheaper payments when you lease
Better check on that, before you get too excited. With GM instability, most banks will not do leases.....the residual is so low that it is basically a loan cost anyway. And if you did what you say you like to do 3 years ago, and you wound up in the economy we are in now, where the used market is a BUYERS MARKET, you would have gotten hosed anyway.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #26
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

As far as BMW vs. The Camaro. One is for luxury and one is American Muscle. Unless you are looking at an M Series, which is not cheap, it is like driving a boring same old luxury car.

Yea , they do move, but they are not built to be badass, they are built to handle the autobahn.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #27
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Here is GM's take on the BMW to Camaro Comparison:
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #28
mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
As far as BMW vs. The Camaro. One is for luxury and one is American Muscle. Unless you are looking at an M Series, which is not cheap, it is like driving a boring same old luxury car.

Yea , they do move, but they are not built to be badass, they are built to handle the autobahn.
nothing could be further from the truth

if you have not driven a 135i or 335i or m3, and your a "car guy" you owe it to yourself to go test drive them, you will soon realize they are not boring at all. Definitely not boring luxury cars, I prefer the 135i handling over the current m3, it just feels better, every time I go to the mountains I get a big grin. I have the sport suspension on mine, I really wouldn't consider a bmw without it.

I will say the current 3 and 5 series have gotten too big for my taste, but they still handle like they are on rails

to say that they are boring luxury cars means that you probably have not had a chance to drive one yet.

The pontiac g8 gt feels similar to a 5 series, however the 5 series feels tighter and more connected to the road

I would be in heaven if I could get a 135i with a LS3, but the twin turbo is plenty of fun

I will even go so far as to say that I prefer the feel of my 135i over my boss's c6 Z06, probably more due to the wheelbase and seating position, the z06 feels really really big compared to the 135i. My previous car was an M3, and I prefer the 135i handling over the m3. I also had a turbo mini cooper, and that car was FUN, but front wheel drive and torque steer drove me crazy.

I'm hoping GM keeps the camaro alive, in 5-6 years when I'm done with the 135i the camaro will probably be my next car. The main difference between the 135i and the camaro for performance is the LSD, bmw wont sell the 135i with one, 3500 $ aftermarket for a complete diff.