Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
What I was trying to get across was that Jamie has a stroked L99. Not a complete new engine. And he's boosting more than you will boost as you state. With just a cam you will be 600+ rwhp on a stock block. Stroke it and raise boost 2 or 3 psi and you're looking at near 700.

Your power level goals are perfect for the maggie.
But if you decide you want to run say.. 8s... Then the maggie just isn't enough blower unless you do some serious weight reduction.
Ageed and thanks for your reply.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #30
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator0512 View Post
i can tell you a fact i learned! the jannetty after-sale support is fantastic. however the support from gm for the lsx crate motor is ZERO!

jannetty will support you in ways that gm has not even dreamed of.

go with jannetty, they got me into the low nines right off the trailer and have given me the absolutely best customer service in the land.
I learned that long ago with Ted and his crew, best out there, only guys I will work with. I know there are alot of great shops out there, nothing against them in any way, I started with Ted and he has done great things for me and helped me out of a couple tight spots when things did not go just right which was a result of plain and simple bad luck.

Looking at it the way you discribed, your right, I would much rather have Ted backing the engine then GM!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
i know these guys will steer you away but if you're really that scared of boosting throw in some meth for safety. Nothing like having good gas + a safety net to conserve your internals.

Good luck on your goals. Gonna be a killer! Get ready to buy some slicks lol
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
Fiftydriver

Quote:
i know these guys will steer you away but if you're really that scared of boosting throw in some meth for safety. Nothing like having good gas + a safety net to conserve your internals.

Not scared of Boost at all, Have total confidence in Teds tuning abilities and I know that is the key to safely running boost. I am running 9 lbs right now on a stock L99 and its working great, just want more durability is all and I know Ted and you guys will get me there on the right track.

Thanks again for all the info. Meth will certainly be an option I will consider, thanks.

More to come!!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #33
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
We have a Brand New GM LSX 376 Long Block FS as well ready to ship.
Keep in mind the pistons are the weak link in the LS3 motors. To my knowledge no one has ever broke a stock rod. There are a few people running around on other forums with the LSX 376 Longblock making 900+HP. We can also build you a Forged shortblock as well. We have a few motors ready for assy. We also build our engines in house in our engine assy. clean room. Feel free to call us and we can talk about your needs and goals.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #34
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Yeah i wouldnt buy a crate engine, if you are going to add to it. Build it to what you want. A few people have already made that mistake on here
Old 06-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Actually I have JRE 416 Engines already built, at least until someone sees this post

The added weight of the Iron block and the Forged pistons are the only difference between your stock LS3 and the LSX 376.
Specs and price??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #36
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:

Things can still break! Ask me how i know.... Remember i took every precaution available. I would blend 104 sunoco 3 gallons per tank to 93 octane gas...I also had the ALKY meth setup. I still chipped the top ringland of the #5 piston. The 12psi didnt help nor did the abuse i put it thru.

I think i was a little light on the injector side of the equation with the 65#. I wll send these injectors out to have them tested. I think the #5 may have been the weak link considering i was pumping in the meth on top of the fuel.

Anything can happen, even when taking all the precautions...just realize this.

It was not the tune. It was tuned by one of the best LS tuners out there, Taylor Sims, Dallas Performance. I also had the tune verified by another shop. When installing my GForce setup this shops tuner downloaded the tune from DP due to issues with my ABS and traction control. That tuner told me the DP tune was pretty impressive
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Things can still break! Ask me how i know.... Remember i took every precaution available. I would blend 104 sunoco 3 gallons per tank to 93 octane gas...I also had the ALKY meth setup. I still chipped the top ringland of the #5 piston. The 12psi didnt help nor did the abuse i put it thru.

I think i was a little light on the injector side of the equation with the 65#. I wll send these injectors out to have them tested. I think the #5 may have been the weak link considering i was pumping in the meth on top of the fuel.

Anything can happen, even when taking all the precautions...just realize this.
I bet your motor would still be running if you had higher injectors!

You also abused the hell out of your car, and even like that, it freaking lasted a LONG time! Us regular joes ain't abusing it that bad and you were also 700+. Most of us are sub 700.

But yes, anything can break this is true!
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #38
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My engine isn't stroke or bored. The block that came with the car was only honed. I still have my stock crank and heads. Ted installed forged pistons, rods, and arp 2000 hardware. That's it, that's all. It's no secret or magic. My car never sees knock. Not even when it's 90 degres at the track. It's lived on 17 psi for a long time now. And everyone knows the abuse it gets. I think a major factory is the only fuel I run is 104. I don't add 5 gallons, 10 gallons, or whatever. My tank is always full of 104. I'm talking of when I am tracking it. Which is usually from march until nov. If I'm
Traveling with than 93 is fine. But any type of noisy and it'll be full of race gas. I think that is what has kept it together. That and my smooth driving style!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #39
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:

You also abused the hell out of your car, and even like that, it freaking lasted a LONG time! Us regular joes ain't abusing it that bad and you were also 700+. Most of us are sub 700.

Yes, like i said many times, i went thru 6 gallons of meth in about 6 weeks. I had already had my place in line with HKE so i pushed it a bit too hard. I have used the injector caluclator and at my 715rwhp or 835fwhp, i was at about 88% duty cycle, but did have the meth on top.

When we pull this motor im hauling it back home and i will break it down and see exactly how everything looks

I was over 4000 miles with 637whp at 7 psi and just under 2000 at 12 psi and 715whp. So it did hang on pretty good. it still drives fine, just puffs oil smoke thru the breather and blows oil smoke thru the exhaust under boost.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #40
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My engine isn't stroke or bored. The block that came with the car was only honed. I still have my stock crank and heads. Ted installed forged pistons, rods, and arp 2000 hardware. That's it, that's all. It's no secret or magic. My car never sees knock. Not even when it's 90 degres at the track. It's lived on 17 psi for a long time now. And everyone knows the abuse it gets. I think a major factory is the only fuel I run is 104. I don't add 5 gallons, 10 gallons, or whatever. My tank is always full of 104. I'm talking of when I am tracking it. Which is usually from march until nov. If I'm
Traveling with than 93 is fine. But any type of noisy and it'll be full of race gas. I think that is what has kept it together. That and my smooth driving style!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #41
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:

Isn't bull a m6? 700 hp on a m6 and 700 hp on a automatic are two different things. Any time you start pushing these motors hard you have to know that it's bound to happen. Bull knew that.. Jamie knew that.. Some people would rather go ahead and build the bottom end first nothing wrong with that it's smart. If you mess up and trash the block that's 1300 dollars you could have saved..
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #42
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Isn't bull a m6? 700 hp on a m6 and 700 hp on a automatic are two different things. Any time you start pushing these motors hard you have to know that it's bound to happen. Bull knew that.. Jamie knew that.. Some people would rather go ahead and build the bottom end first nothing wrong with that it's smart. If you mess up and trash the block that's 1300 dollars you could have saved..
To the OP, i really hate thread jacking so i apologize but i think you have your answer. JRE for sure!

Yes, i am an M6 and you are correct. I knew it was gonna happen especially after my RXT clutch and GForce 9" kit. It was my goal to punish the drivetrain and see how much the motor could take. But i did have my new HKE motor in the works about a month prior to smoking the #5 piston. I knew it was gonna go, i just was hoping my block would survive so i can sleeve it and build it as a spare. My borescope does show some light scoring on the cylinder wall....doesnt matter, i see RED or ERL sleeving it anyway.

I will have a light weight shortblock standing by. Im thinking NA and upping the compression for a 600rwhp NA motor just to try something different?

I think my goals with the car is more of an overall performer rather than just flat out straight line speed. There is a pretty good road course about 90 min from here. Eagle Canyon raceway i believe. I think that would be a good rush to run a few times a year.