Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
So since the V6 stock brakes stop the V6 just as quickly as the Brembos do the V8's, how much of a difference have you noticed with the Brembos on the V6? (Also, your setup looks nice)
Thanks for the kind words.

At this point, I think it fair to say my new brake setup provides a more consistent and smooth stop. I had issues with the stock v6 brakes not being consistent on my neighborhood downhill roads (pretty steep).

My track friends tell me this setup will also not fade (lose stopping power) as much after repeated hard stops.

I'm planning on taking the car to the dealer this week to have them use their computerized tool (Tech II?) to force flush the ABS reservoir and perform a final bleed. After that I expect the stopping power to improve as well. The reason I say this is I have test driven an SS. It seemed to stop better for me than my stock 2LT.

I'll report back soon.

Last edited by intensifi; 11-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

At this point, I think it fair to say my new brake setup provides a more consistent and smooth stop. I had issues with the stock v6 brakes not being consistent on my neighborhood downhill roads (pretty steep).

My track friends tell me this setup will also not fade (lose stopping power) as much after repeated hard stops.

I'm planning on taking the car to the dealer this week to have them use their computerized tool (Tech II?) to force flush the ABS reservoir and perform a final bleed. After that I expect the stopping power to improve as well. The reason I say this is I have test driven an SS. I seemed to stop better for me than my stock 2LT.

I'll report back soon.
Not trying to take away from your awesome work with the new brakes, but it sounds like there was something wrong with your stock brakes. They definitely shouldn't be showing any inconsistency issues going down a hill. I've definitely done a bunch of 100-0 stops in my car, and the V6 brakes hold up admirably. It's true they will fade eventually, but these brakes are still really hefty. It should take some pretty heavy track use to show issues, and even then, most guys I talked to were able to go out for a couple of laps before brake fade became an issue. 12" rotors are nothing to sneeze at.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
Not trying to take away from your awesome work with the new brakes, but it sounds like there was something wrong with your stock brakes. They definitely shouldn't be showing any inconsistency issues going down a hill. I've definitely done a bunch of 100-0 stops in my car, and the V6 brakes hold up admirably. It's true they will fade eventually, but these brakes are still really hefty. It should take some pretty heavy track use to show issues, and even then, most guys I talked to were able to go out for a couple of laps before brake fade became an issue. 12" rotors are nothing to sneeze at.
To your main point, I thought the same thing. I took them to the dealer. They ran a diagnostic and said everything was fine. So I figured I must need better brakes for my stopping tastes.

I agree the v6 calipers are hefty. The fronts feel much heavier than the Brembo fronts. After I clean them up, I'm thinking of adding them to my workout circuit as dumb bells.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Heads up: you can sell the V6 calipers for money on these forums. The SS drag racing guys use them to mount smaller lighter tires.

Well, I'm glad you are happy with your new mod! Doesn't forget to upgrade your signature too!
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
I just want to change my front brembos...I still have to bleed my rears right? Also does it matter what position my brake pedal is in when i do this? Thanks
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
I just want to change my front brembos...I still have to bleed my rears right? Also does it matter what position my brake pedal is in when i do this? Thanks
I learned from conservative mechanics a long time ago. So I was taught any time you crack the brake hydraulics open, you bleed them all. With modern cars and their ABS systems that may not be necessary, but why not be safe? Plus you are supposed to change your brake fluid every year or so anyway.

If you are talking about the two person manual bleed procedure, the person in the car maintains pressure on the pedal (don't go to the floor though) while the person in the back opens and eventually closes the bleeder screw. DO NOT let up on the pedal while the bleeder screw is open. That is how you get air into the system.

I used the Motive pressure bleeder for my install. It is very cool in that you can do almost all of the bleed with one person. I like to finish up with the two person approach though as the pedal is the real way the brakes are applied while driving.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #21
intensifi

I got the car back from the dealer today.

They did the tech II computer forced cycling of the ABS to drain/refill the reservoir with the new DOT 4 fluid. They also did one hell of a bleed job. Now the brakes start much sooner on the pedal depression.

These Brembos with the Hawk HPS pads stop so nice with the DBA rotors and Goodridge lines. And they are silent! Maybe that's the Permatex brake lubricant???

I wish I had done this mod much sooner. Highly recommended!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
What kind of brake fluid are you using? Also where did you find the best price for the goodridge lines and also the pads?
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
This is on my list eventually! Nice write-up, you actually answered a lot of my questions about the swap performance. I think I'm having some trouble with at least one of them not disengaging fully. I need to do a tear-down and check them out. My rotors also have some deep scoring... Need the upgrade soon!

And they look really nice!

And what exactly is "BOM for the GMPP V6 to Brembo upgrade kit"?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
What kind of brake fluid are you using? Also where did you find the best price for the goodridge lines and also the pads?
Castrol SRF. I found the best price for it on Amazon

I bought the lines and pads from Camaro5 member Sleez for a very good price. I believe he originally bought them from Maryland Speed during one of their sales.

I can recommend Apex. They have taken care of me in the past. I also hear good things about JDP.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
And they look really nice.

And what exactly is "BOM for the GMPP V6 to Brembo upgrade kit"?
Thanks.

Bill of Materials (BOM). I updated the original post.

Tags
brake, brembo calipers brakes ss, goodridge