Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Is the SS AIRAID Calif. legal?

Someone suggested that only a couple of the intake units are CA (CARB?) approved. I can't find anything definitive from the manufacturers websites.

I know it will be years before I have to pass a smog check, but If I can get an intake that performs well AND is Calif. approved, I might as well.

The intake I get will likely get a Vector or Jannetty tune.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post
Someone suggested that only a couple of the intake units are CA (CARB?) approved. I can't find anything definitive from the manufacturers websites.

I know it will be years before I have to pass a smog check, but If I can get an intake that performs well AND is Calif. approved, I might as well.

Hello OBSSEST,

The Airaid Intake System for the 2010 Camaro system is currently pending with CARB.

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
asroka

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post

I have emailed a few of the manufacturers and I know for a fact that Hennessy, K&N, Fastlane, and CAI models are not CARB certified and none of them say they have plans to do it at this time. I actually got those responses right from the manufacturers. Except for K&N who say it right on their website.

I plan to go with the Airaid.
asroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
The money it takes to get a CARB cert is rediculous, from what i've heard. It's not worth it for most of the shop CAI's to get one. K&N, Airaid, and possibly BBK are the only ones I can think of that would have enough invested in CAI's to make CARB worthwhile.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
flipfire

Drives: 2010 Summit White SS/RS
I've got the Airaid installed. I live in CA.. I absolutely love it!

The SS Airaid intake is not yet legal in CA, but you won't have to smog for a couple years. Airaid is currently working to get it approved, but if it isn't by then , I wouldn't worry. I am no mechanic to say the least and I had it installed in 45 minutes. Just get the Airaid and if it isnt approved by the time you have to smog, swap it out with the original.

In my opinion, the performance gain and ESPECIALLY the way it makes the SS sound with a nice exhaust is PRICELESS!!!
flipfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
does anyone know which cai's are, or are working to be, CARB compliant? I live in Cali myself and I wanted the cold air inductions cai but James from cai said they do not plan on getting carb cert. I know airaid and k&n are working to be, any others?
ducq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
ADM's are NOT CARB approved...probably never will be either.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
Airaid is a great kit, I have a few customers from California that have em.
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
ANY CAI that doesn't have the factory carbon filter will not be able to get a carb number. Who ever offers the CAI with the sealed lid, will more than likely be the only company to get a CARB #.

If you have a "friendly" mechanic that can do you smog check in 2016 you don't have to worry about it. Or you can keep your factory air box for the next 5 years and put it back on for an hour to get your smog check done.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
asroka

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
ANY CAI that doesn't have the factory carbon filter will not be able to get a carb number. Who ever offers the CAI with the sealed lid, will more than likely be the only company to get a CARB #.
That's this one http://www.coldairinductions.com/car...roducts_id=875

I emailed them and they said they don't have it. They did not indicate whether they were looking to get it, but I didn't explicitly ask.

There are quite a few CAIs of various designs that have CARB certifications, but for other applications. CARB has a lot of red tape and most mods for the 2010 Camaro that fall under their purview have been around for less than a year.

At some point there will probably be lots of CAIs that are legal in California. At this point the Airaid is a good choice, because they are willing to spend the money to get certified (They were in the middle of the field in the Jannetty test. Small gains throughout the curve and a peak gain of 9.2 rwhp, 5.9 ft-lbs. Not bad for $350)

Quote:
If you have a "friendly" mechanic that can do you smog check in 2016 you don't have to worry about it. Or you can keep your factory air box for the next 5 years and put it back on for an hour to get your smog check done.
That's true, but there is always a risk that some cop will hear you blasting down the road and decide to look under the hood. Then he can give you a fix it ticket and you will have to get it inspected. You can still play games with them, but if you get caught again it gets real expensive real fast.
asroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Usually, my stance with emissions-legal parts always sways toward conservatism when I post. I've had many run-ins with law enforcement (not because of racing...) regarding legal parts and have paid several hundred dollars in fines due to non-CARB-legal parts. aving said that, I'd always gone to a BAR referee with my SLP lid on the car. It has SLP writen across the top of it, so it's not like I was hiding anything. However - not a ONE time was I asked if I had a CARB number for it. Maybe it was the polished stainless LTs that the officer was more concerned about, lol, or lack of cats' another time, but no one EVER asked about the intake lid. I'm not suggesting not to worry about it, but since, technically, if it doesn't have CARB EOs, it isn't legal. It's up to you, but it might not bring as much attention as loud exhaust does, especially if it still utilizes all of the stock smog lines and such.

JMVHO.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote