Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Racer606

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '03 Mini Cooper S
Looking for input on CAI to pick

I wanted to send out a request for some constructive feedback on which CAI to pick. I've narrowed the field down to ADM Performance, Cold Air Inductions and FastLane. I've got a lean toward one of them but not to sway any input I will simply state my thinking and take the feedback.

I'm doing my performance updates in two phases. The first phase will be done shortly which consists of LT headers, 3" X-pipe, exhaust and CAI. And the dealer doing the install will be doing a dyno tune on the install. The next phase will be adding a MagnaCharger in hopefuly the next 3-5 months. So I want to make one CAI purchase so I can use it now and use it later still.

All three units from my research currently seem to be able to buy once and use in both senarios. At least I think that is correct.

I like th fact that the FastLane and CAI designs could be painted or some other treatment done pretty easy to change its appearance. The ADM unit uses couplers to make up most of their tube which would mean color selection is limited.

The FastLane unit probably is shedding a few extra pounds as it is replacing the washer bottle with a smaller unit. The ADM Race also replaces the washer bottle and you can get another one from them to mount elsewhere but the fact that it uses a box probably negates the weight savings.

There is a concern about water effecting the FastLane filter with it being so low.

I know who won the shootout and all in all all three units did very well and considering the car will be tuned after install all three could possibly produce even greater results. But I'm looking also at cosmetic, fit/finish, etc. as well as performance.

Now if the FastLane unit was ceramic coated on the inside like the others then that could make things even more interesting.

Like I stated I'm looking for constructive feedback with no bashing of anyone's intake to help me make a final decision.
Racer606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
I went with the Cold Air Induction Inc. CIA. Got an e-mail that they are trying to get all preorders out by next Friday.....Yeah!! I will be getting a custom tune after install, just to squeeze everything I can.

Initially I liked their look to begin with, then Teds independant test sold me. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202

Just my thoughts- others may feel different

Mike

Last edited by Mzodarg; 11-25-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
I went with the Cold Air Inductiuon Inc. CIA. Got an e-mail that they are trying to get all preorders out by next Friday.....Yeah!! I will be getting a custom tune after install, just to squeeze everything I can.

Initially I liked their look to begin with, then Teds independant test sold me. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202

Just my thoughts- others may feel different

Mike

I too was torn between the ADM and the Cold air Inductions and after ted did the testing, it came down to cost and looks and i just couldnt justify spending the extra hundred dollars and went with the Cold Air Inductions.
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
I really like the fit & finish of the AirAid kit. We also offer the TSP cold air induction that will be finsihed & shipping this week. I'll test both on the magnacharger asap!!

Jason
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I was going to say wait for varara, dyno numbers b4 buying. But, it appears that you probably took into account the fact that the stock version wouldn't fit the SC'er. I hear a lot about cold air inductions kit. Maybe a good pick?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
I went with Cold Air Inductions too, I liked the look/price. Waiting for my order to be filled.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Now shipping the Halltech Yellow Jackets

More in stock Friday. NO TUNING REQUIRED. TUNING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Order now and use the Coupon Code "Forum" for a $50 discount.

Dyno tested now at 5 different speed shops all over the USA. Lowest numbers were 14 RWHP 10.6 lbs-ft torque, just bolting it on the stock Camaro. 34 RWHP when added to one with headers and cam.

One dyno showed 406 RWHP with the Halltech Yellow Jacket, American Racing Headers, high flow cats and exhaust. Simple bolt ons. That is 477 HP!

Simple instructions, ISO 5011 Certified Filtration for no warranty issues, and a lifetime warranty on our intake.

You are in good company purchasing a name brand cold air intake from Halltech. We are the largest manufacture of Corvette intakes in the World, and used exclusively by Katech Engine Development, Livernois Motorsports, Nickey Chicago, and many GM Chevy Dealers nationwide

Last edited by Halltech; 11-25-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
dwebster
DW's 2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS LS3-CAI/LG-Corsa
I went with CAI based on Ted's test. I have not heard or read any negative comments on fit or finish of their product. Order #19 anxiously waiting. I am also doing Corsa cat back and and a tune. Maggie later when I have an extra $8k. I was told that there are no issues with fit using the CAI with a Maggie
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Racer606

Thanks for the feedback and keep in it coming.

Looks CAI has been very popular. And I really can't find any negatives on any of the units.

I was initially waiting on the Vararam, even on the pre-order list, but the unit still is vaporware to the general public with no confirmed ETA when it will be, no independent testing done & published and no support for a Maggie until an undetermined time and no info. on will have I to buy a new version or can the first unit be adapted to work. Can't keep waiting on them any longer.

With regards to the warranty statement, the dealership where the car was purchased is doing the installs and doing the tuning. All bolt-ons done do not void any warranty. They've been installing Maggie's, full exhausts, etc. on dozens of customer cars already.

Again thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
You can't go wrong with CAI or ADM .. I have the ADM street unit and love it ..

Crowley
Old 11-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
No dyno #'s yet but love the fit and finish of Roto-Fabs CAI!!!!!
Attached Images

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
cuda_z28

Drives: 1994 Quasar Z28, 2010 SIM 2SS, 6M
I went with Cold Air Inductions, Great looking plus performance results....
cuda_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Racer606

Just an FYI to share...Got word from Cold Air Inductions that they are not sure at this time if their current model will work with a MagnaCharger. They are going to be testing and should have confirmation in a few weeks. If the current tube doesn't work they will get one that will work.

Last edited by Racer606; 11-25-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
I have the Fastlane. Check out the pics in the link closely. That is not what I expected for $460. The welds are mediocre at best, and you can see the difference in weld placement on the 2 systems pictured. The filter is down low, but that area is actually closed up pretty good toward the front. My IAT temps were staying pretty high on the dyno because we couldn't get a good flow of air to the filter. However, once I was out on the road they stay close to the ambient outside temp.

http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com/showthread.php?t=163

Last edited by BLK2SS; 11-25-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot the link
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote