Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Video of Camaro visibility

Saw this on Edmunds and thought that those who haven't been in one might be interested.

Edmunds article
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...isibility.html
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
SorrowCamaro

Drives: looking for a Black: 1SS & an LS.
I saw this a few days ago; I've heard a lot of people list the visibility as a "con" in the car, but I don't think its that bad.

Black/Black 2SS. Can't afford one yet, but one day.
SorrowCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Takes getting used to, ask any Corvette owner. They will tell you they had to adjust when getting their car.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
When you sit in one for the first time, you may feel or notice the more restricted view than normal. After 1st 10 minutes of driving, you're already fine with it and adjusted. The key to safety and getting comfortable with your viewing area from the driver's seat is to eliminate your blind spots by positioning your mirrors correctly. There are threads on here somewhere on how to do it but the traditional way many of us were taught decades ago about how to adjust side mirrors does not work well on just about any car. The main mirror inside the car will show you everything behind you 3 lanes wide. The side mirrors do not need to be aimed down the side of the car, rather, they should be angled out more so that they are aimed at your blind spot. The visual you should see when a car is coming up behind you to pass is 1st in the main inside mirror. As the car approaches and passes on either side, you should be able to see the car transition smoothly from the main inside mirror to the outside mirrors in a way that you never lose sight of the car. It takes some getting used to but once you have trained yourself to be comfortable with that setup...no more blind spots. Works in all vehicles, not just the Camaro.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I found the interior mirror to be pretty restrictive. It's sits right at the point where it completely blocks the vision of the first car to your right at a 4way stop.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
When you sit in one for the first time, you may feel or notice the more restricted view than normal. After 1st 10 minutes of driving, you're already fine with it and adjusted. The key to safety and getting comfortable with your viewing area from the driver's seat is to eliminate your blind spots by positioning your mirrors correctly. There are threads on here somewhere on how to do it but the traditional way many of us were taught decades ago about how to adjust side mirrors does not work well on just about any car. The main mirror inside the car will show you everything behind you 3 lanes wide. The side mirrors do not need to be aimed down the side of the car, rather, they should be angled out more so that they are aimed at your blind spot. The visual you should see when a car is coming up behind you to pass is 1st in the main inside mirror. As the car approaches and passes on either side, you should be able to see the car transition smoothly from the main inside mirror to the outside mirrors in a way that you never lose sight of the car. It takes some getting used to but once you have trained yourself to be comfortable with that setup...no more blind spots. Works in all vehicles, not just the Camaro.
What he said!
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I have sat in 5 Camaro's at the dealership, including a test drive and I am used to it within 2 secs each time I sit in the car.

I drive a 2007 Acura TSX right now.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
This did the trick for me.

The mirrors positioning is something most people get wrong. Do what Edrock said and you will be fine with the blind spots! I drive in CA where traffic and most drivers are insanely horrible.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
When I took the test drive, the only visibility issue that I thought was a problem was the front right roof pillar. Be very careful when someone steps into the crosswalk to cross the street. I think I will easily get used to driving it though. I've been driving an SUV that sits up high and has lots of glass for the past 8 years. It will just take a little while to get used to the Camaro.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
Quote:
I too have adopted this mirror positioning this technique, but i also use the fisheye mirrors just in case.

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Going from the Camaro to the tC, the biggest visual restriction the Camaro has that I've noticed is backing up. Maybe it was just me, but when I looked over my shoulder while backing up, I still couldn't see where the rear of the car was (like I can with the tC). So I just used my mirrors and was a little more careful when in reverse. Other than that, the longer windows actually increase visibility over a standard 4 door car as the b-pillar isn't blocking your view.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
wow, shes' putting that camera at eye level... the rear view mirror is right in your face!

I have to go see one and see how it is from a shorter person's perspective lol
Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
The only problem I have had with visibility is when backing out of a parking spot, or seeing traffic to the right rear when merging seeing out to see if anyone is coming.. other than that backing normally is not a problem..I use my mirrors to back up, All 3 of them...
The thing is I had a worse problem when driving my Sky with the top up...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
wow, shes' putting that camera at eye level... the rear view mirror is right in your face!

I have to go see one and see how it is from a shorter person's perspective lol
I adjusted the rear view mirror up as far as I could, it helps ..