Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
meltyface

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM LS3 w/ blk rally
Metra kit issue to be aware of!

Well for the past couple days my Metra Dash kit display has been flickering and after troubleshooting it with no solution I called Metra Tech Support and they informed me that once the display starts flickering it isn't because of a wiring issue it is because the display is about to go out. So since I have had my kit for a little over 20 months I now have to buy a new one!

*Another note make sure your installer updates the kit, apparently there is a firmware update that has to be done before installing.
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
meltyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Yep. Mine did the same thing. The LCD is completely out now, and I've had the kit for about the same amount of time. I'll be trying the Pioneer one next. The Metra was great for awhile (only one available when I got mine), but it just looks and feels cheap. The buttons stick, the fitment could be better, and the LCD was the final problem.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Same here. This makes you think twice about buying another. Did you ask if they will sell a replacement display?
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
mine went out and they sent a new one over night.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
Same. :(
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
Been through about 4 or 5 kits for this same problem, lucky for me mine was still under warranty so it hasn't cost me anything other than time.....but definently buyer beware
Attached Images

DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Y2k and Sarah,
Were your Metra units still under warranty when they failed? I would rather get a free replacement than shell out a bunch of coin.

Either way, it's kind of a hassle to remove and reinstall. I don't think I want to repeat the exercise every 18 months or so.

Last edited by SS Drifter; 06-22-2015 at 06:18 PM.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Yep. Mine did the same thing. The LCD is completely out now, and I've had the kit for about the same amount of time. I'll be trying the Pioneer one next. The Metra was great for awhile (only one available when I got mine), but it just looks and feels cheap. The buttons stick, the fitment could be better, and the LCD was the final problem.
Pioneer? I've only heard of Scoshe, Metra and Alpine kits.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Pioneer? I've only heard of Scoshe, Metra and Alpine kits.
Argh Alpine is what I meant. I was talking to someone at work out Pioneer stereos while I was posting
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
Y2k and Sarah,
Were yor Metra units still under warranty when they failed? I would rather get a free replace than shell out a bunch of coin.

Either way, it's kind of a hassle to remove and reinstall. I don't think I want to repeat the exercise every 18 months or so.
That was one of the first things i upgraded when i purchased my car in late 2009 and started flickering about 5 months ago. Really don't think its still under warranty.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
iMONEY

Drives: RS 2011
Just started happening to me yesterday. Thanks for the heads up. could have used it yesterday instead of digging in the dash lol. Time for a scosche or whatever its called.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
Y2k and Sarah,
Were yor Metra units still under warranty when they failed? I would rather get a free replace than shell out a bunch of coin.

yeah, mine was less than a year and they warranted it.

by the way, i've never had any other problems with it than the flickering display. all the buttons worked fine.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
My Metra display just started flikering blue then green, and stays green after a few minutes on.

It's 6 months old now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
exactly why I have not upgraded my radio yet.. Im close to having the car for 2 years now and Im sooooo tempted to upgrade as I have the DD unit sitting at home but Everyone seems to have some kinda problem with metra.. I personally do not like the Scosche kit so im stuck... I mean people pay very high price for the stupid kit and the company cant even make it work right???