Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #29
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You guys know that in 2010 Mercedes Benz came out with satin finish on a lot of there car's, so you know there are cleaners for them, i was thinking of using there paint, will see.
Designo Magno... on the E Class no less.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/design/designo
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #30
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
If it's a custom blend it won't have a paint code - like the satin black pearl I wanted to paint my 2011 didn't have a paint code.

And the reason you won't see it as a production color is because it's a satin finish - you can't bush or polish scratches out of satin paint, it'll make the paint shiny. You're only option for paint "repair" is to repaint the panel.
That said, why not offer it anyway?
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #31
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
That said, why not offer it anyway?
Because as a manufacturer you have to deal with customers complaining about all the shiny spots in their matte paint job? Look at it from GM's point of view... pretty as it is, it's not practical for a track car.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #32
steel insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Because as a manufacturer you have to deal with customers complaining about all the shiny spots in their matte paint job? Look at it from GM's point of view... pretty as it is, it's not practical for a track car.
There are many manufacturers offering matte finish vehicles - I've already posted Harley & Mercedes examples.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #33
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
High maintenance on satin finishes is not necessarily true.

Harley Davidson has been using them on many models for many years. From flat to pearl to flip flop colors.

MOF, check out the 2013 V ROD, which has a satin finish pearl white finish. (white hot denim)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...scle.html#!pnw
+1

Satin or matte is not hard to maintain. White I've heard is tough. As for repairing a scratch, I'm not sure how it will be done but Hyundai must know something after releasing the below yet in a matte gunmetal color last year.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
+1

Satin or matte is not hard to maintain. White I've heard is tough. As for repairing a scratch, I'm not sure how it will be done but Hyundai must know something after releasing the below yet in a matte gunmetal color last year.
My guess is a scratch has to be reprinted. So yes, not high maintenance - but you'll be paying a pretty penny if you have to repaint each time you get a scratch.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
steel insane

Quote:
My guess is a scratch has to be reprinted. So yes, not high maintenance - but you'll be paying a pretty penny if you have to repaint each time you get a scratch.
I can tell you from my Harley experience it doesn't scratch easy. MOF, I never got a chip or scratch. Tough stuff if it's done right...
Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #36
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
There are many manufacturers offering matte finish vehicles - I've already posted Harley & Mercedes examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
+1

Let me highlight the relevant parts of my two previous posts:

1. "And therefore it is a no-go for those of us actually tracking the car. Impossible to clean the clag off without destroying the paint."
2. "pretty as it is, it's not practical for a track car."

Before I waste my time furthering my point, I'll ask the two of you to post up one photo each of you and your car after having driven at a track event. Because if you can't do that, then you simply don't have the background to understand the issue at hand.

If you do have tracking experience, please point out the clag cleaning technique and products you use to avoid damaging the matte/satin finish?

Fair?

The Z/28 is optimized to be a track car, why would GM then compromise on the serviceability of the paint?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #37
steel insane

You may be right regarding track usage, but not necessarily for other models.

Back to my original inquiry - if a paint code exists, I'd like to know it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #38
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
If it's a custom blend it won't have a paint code - like the satin black pearl I wanted to paint my 2011 didn't have a paint code.

And the reason you won't see it as a production color is because it's a satin finish - you can't bush or polish scratches out of satin paint, it'll make the paint shiny. You're only option for paint "repair" is to repaint the panel.
Gotcha, didn't realize it was satin. They could still put one out in a pearl color with a clear coat that's NOT satin. I'm mean all you have to do is open your eyes to the brand you've been putting pearl on for yrs....Cadillac.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #39
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Hyundai even has a matte color. On the Veloster
Attached Images

Last edited by rebelyell22; 11-06-2013 at 12:50 AM.
rebelyell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
One of the other threads veered off on the matter of this color's non-availability. For Oshawa to use this color would require its availability across the full Camaro line. An extra color that would mean the deletion of an existing colour. And, as it is a pearlescent color, this colour would then be an extra cost option.

As Stig points out, it's NOT a low-maintenance finish. And it's a very tough colour to properly match, should a repair be necessary. ALL metallic pearls are so.

Again, it's a Show Car. And Show Cars are often finished in non-available colors/finishes, and prepped to a non-production level. I dare say what we see on that car would have cost GM THOU$AND$. To replicate it, consider: Disassembly, prepping "A" and "B" surfaces, including engine compartment and trunk, and finishing to "Quality - Show Car standards", followed by complete reassembly. NOT a cheap deal. Consider $20K+ as your opening bid...

A very wise man, Mr. Lowdown!

(...also - I'm not sure we have the capability to paint a satin finish at Oshawa -- and further, there ARE issues with maintenance of satin finishes...esp. when 'burnt rubber' comes in contact with it!)
Old 11-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
A very wise man, Mr. Lowdown!

(...also - I'm not sure we have the capability to paint a satin finish at Oshawa -- and further, there ARE issues with maintenance of satin finishes...esp. when 'burnt rubber' comes in contact with it!)
Thanks Scott.

I totally dig the Matte White of the show car and my emotional side says "gimme!", but then the Mother's R3 using reality slaps me across the face. I'm glad it's not an option so I don't have the temptation.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #42

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Thanks Scott.

I totally dig the Matte White of the show car and my emotional side says "gimme!", but then the Mother's R3 using reality slaps me across the face. I'm glad it's not an option so I don't have the temptation.
Just get that psychedelic wrap they used at the Ring....Nobody will see you coming...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote