Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
I'm getting the 2SS and I ordered a spare tire because if you get a hole in the side wall the air compressor isn't going to help one bit. But I'm wondering, does me ordering the spare tire mean I'm not going to get the air compressor also? I mean it should come with it if it's standard equipment for the 2SS but I didn't know if they were just going to leave it out because I got the spare tire also. Anyone know for sure?
The tiny donut spare tire won't fit over your 2SS Brembo brakes.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #16
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
JFTR, it Tag's picture.
I just cut and pasted it.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
I'm getting the 2SS and I ordered a spare tire because if you get a hole in the side wall the air compressor isn't going to help one bit. But I'm wondering, does me ordering the spare tire mean I'm not going to get the air compressor also? I mean it should come with it if it's standard equipment for the 2SS but I didn't know if they were just going to leave it out because I got the spare tire also. Anyone know for sure?
Carry a plug kit. Insert a plug and air it up until you get home or to a tire place. If its to big for that, call GM Roadside assistance or your own Roadside assistance.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Optima isn't worth the money, I have had to and they both crapped our in a year, I ended up going to autozone and getting a 5 year battery for half the price and no issues with it at all...

I've had one for 6 years,not a single problem
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
Both of these were in a car that would sit for a week or longer between startups(on my El Camino). and sitting outside, and After I talked to the guy at the parts store he told me that once they discharge they are nearly impossible to charge back up. I couldn't handle that, so like I said I bought a 800 CCA Autozone 5 year battery for half the price and have had no problems with it at all.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
SnoMoDude600

Drives: 2001 Ford Crown Victoria LX
I work at Batteries Plus and have had experience replacing the batteries in the trunk and under the back seats of imports (BMW, MB, AUDI) and domestics (Caddies, Olds, Pontiacs). The ACDELCO battery is manufactured by either exide, johnson controls, or a smaller manufacture. It all depends on who gives ACDELCO the lower price. They just slap their sticker on it. The battery is a Wet cell lead acid battery. It has a vent tube that vents the hydrogen gas and any acid overflow out of the car. The replacement of the battery will not effect the warranty unless it is under the OM rated CCA and then that depends on your dealer. The battery just wont be covered under GM warranty any more. If you do decide to replace the battery go with an Odyssey battery (http://www.odysseyfactory.com/batteries.html). They are greatly superior to anything else on the market. They use virgin lead and are a military grade battery. Optimas and other batteries use a percentage of recycle lead. I have also returned a high % of Optimas compared to what the manufacture says should be returned. I have had cases of the Optimas failing entirely in the first couple months of use. When you pay 200$ for a battery that shouldn't happen. Now the Odyssey are 200$ and higher batteries but you are really getting what you pay for with that battery. They also give you a 4 year free replacement warranty. The power output on the Odyssey is also well above what they are rated at. I have a HEPPC1500DT in my car. It is rated at 825CCA and it actually puts out over 1100 CCA. The battery is also 2 years old and it is still putting out this much power. The batteries are still not fully sealed. They have gas regulated valves that will vent gasses into the trunk and/or passenger compartment if the battery is overcharged/overheats/or is constantly charging. The AGM(absorbed glass mat or GEL cel) does not carry any liquid acid so you will not have to worry about any leakage. Also battery acid is not that strong and it will not instantly eat through a persons skin. I have spilled on it myself man times. As long as you wash and rinse with soap and water in a reasonable amount of time you will be fine. It will however eat through any non-plastic clothing (cotton and wool). Have lost many pants and shirts to that. Go to http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-faq2.aspx#16 for more information or http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-storeloc.aspx for you r nearest Batteries Plus. Or send me a PM and i will help you with your questions.
Joe Boisvert
Senior Sales Associate
309-663-2200
Batteries Plus 279 Bloomington, IL
SnoMoDude600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #21
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA488Fitter View Post
Thank Txturbo

Don't get me wrong I really like where the battery is.

But; it realy should be a dry cell.

I have seen the damage cause by a rollover in a VW with the battery under the rear seat.
The person lost the use of their arm from that battery acid; and again I will say not a pretty site.
Sure a freak accident but it can happen.
I still think a dry cell would be way safer.

I guess that the stats on this issue are low enough that it is a non-issue.

Anyone have more info on this battery.
Is it the same as use in the Vet? It must be.
I've had battery acid get all over me several different times, all I ever lost was t-shirts and blue jeans, never an acid burn on my skin. I will say the acid was hosed off with water in a reasonable amount of time, so no extended skin exposure.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
c0rsa180

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
I like the idea of the battery in the trunk much better than under the hood...my friend had his car broken into and all they did was break the hood latch and disconnect the battery so the alarm was disabled...I know my mothers Bonneville GXP has it under the rear seat and I like that except for the fact that if the car has to be jumped the chance of dirtying up the interior is very high...

Inferno Orange Metallic
2SS
RS
M6
ordered 2/17/09
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #23
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
lol I can see it now... Someone needing their car jumped and I back up to the front of them.. and they give me that "Wtf are you stupid?" look.. lol
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #24
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
It's in the trunk partly because of weight but mainly because of safety. Most crashes involve the front end. When you have a battery in the area were the damage is it makes it harder to disconnect. One of the first things rescue workers do after a significant MVA is disconnect the battery. This prevents several things the main ones are.

It removes possible ignition source(sparks), It also disables the electrical system so it diminishes the chances of undeployed air bags deploying and injuring the victims and or rescue worker post incident.

Also for those who are asking themselves "How do you jump start your vehicle or another vehicle if the battery dies?" there are terminals under the hood you can connect to.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #25
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Has anyone answered the question yet (yes I tried the search feature) if an Optima or Odyssey will fit and which model if the answer is yes?

- SK
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #26
MickGIS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black,White Stripes
Send a message via Skype™ to MickGIS
Jumper Terminals

Last edited by MickGIS; 12-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.
MickGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #27
JRunner01

Drives: 2019 Camaro
Will the Die Hard Platinum P5 Group 35 Fit?

Hello Everyone...

New to the forum and the Camaro... wondering if anyone knows if the Die Hard Platinum P5 Group 35 will fit? Looking to save some $$ and pick up the Sears knock off version of the Odyessy battery. This is the closest one they carry that should fit.

Only potential problem I see is the height, coming in 1" higher on this new battery compared to a group 94R which it calls for.

Just need to squeeze out another 1.2" in height to be exact.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by JRunner01; 11-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.
JRunner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #28
windzurfer
Roll Tide!!!!

Drives: 1987 Yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
same here, I use them in my offroad 4Runner (a Blue Top as main for vibration resistance and a Yellow Top strictly for electronics) and I also have one in my wife's Seqouia. No problems ever and they last 3 times longer than the standard AutoZone junk. I'm on my 2nd blue top for the 4Runner, 1st one lasted 8 years and never got week even with a winch and offroad lights being run off of it with the engine off occasionally.

When my Delco battery goes, it will get replaced with an Optima.
windzurfer is offline   Reply With Quote