Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #2129
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Thought you were trying to get away from square!

I don't like wheels (for me) with all those little nubs or screws around the lip. Too many crevices for road crap and brake dust to get in there and slowly start eating its way through things. Now those Forgelines are sweet and a clean face.
Good catch. LMAO!!!

The Forgelines are the top one. WITH all the little screws/bolts, the Vossens are the next three.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #2130
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Even as I put my car closer to the road racing side of things I still will ultimately have a drag car at heart due to the auto tranny. I'd be on the fence about it even if I could do it for very low cost or even free. Much less to have to spend 5k to do it. (just a geusstimate, I really do have no idea but way too much for me. hahaha)

I still may end up with the Vossens. I did a few photoshops with the Forgelines and Vossens. The Vossens would be a staggered set-up.

I'll shamelessly post them right here, right now.

Ya, post pics.

As far as driving on them go, guys on the track are sure loving them.

I'd be pretty tight but still good with 305 35s in rear but not sure about 315. I'll have to check into it. But the perfect square would be disrupted.
Those second wheels (Vossens, I think) look great! Very clean, and not overly "blingy".
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #2131
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Those second wheels (Vossens, I think) look great! Very clean, and not overly "blingy".
Agreed. And would save me a ton of money.

I would NOT get my balanced set-up but would still be good performance wise and save me some money, and look good, and save me some money, and get rid of these Savinis and save me some money.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #2132
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Agreed. And would save me a ton of money.

I would NOT get my balanced set-up but would still be good performance wise and save me some money, and look good, and save me some money, and get rid of these Savinis and save me some money.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #2133
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Good catch. LMAO!!!

The Forgelines are the top one. WITH all the little screws/bolts, the Vossens are the next three.
Okay, then I like the Vossens.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #2134
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Ok here's a couple quick shots. Don't have a tape measure handy, but you can see how big the gap is.

And yes, if you go 3 piece, get hidden fasteners. So much easier to keep clean, and looks better IMHO

Sent from my payphone using carrier pigeons.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #2135
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Yeah the 315s would be tight, but I think my offset will work.

Either way, no 30 series for me when these wear out. Just too short

Sent from my payphone using carrier pigeons.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #2136
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z

I think that looks good! Nice and even throughout the wheelwell.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #2137
PQ
Booooosted.

Hey, Redemption, do you have any pics futher back? Hard to tell that close.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #2138
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I don't care for the dishy look of the Vossens. But, that is personal preference. But, I do like the 5-spoke look on these cars.

I am excited for you to get some wheels that will make you happy to drive your car again.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #2139
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I don't care for the dishy look of the Vossens. But, that is personal preference. But, I do like the 5-spoke look on these cars.

I am excited for you to get some wheels that will make you happy to drive your car again.
That's actually the appeal to me. The concave look. Of course the front won't be so deep. Just the pics I grabbed.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #2140
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I don't know enough about what is most beneficial as far as tire widths go up front for auto x or road racing. I guess I was asking to find out, not to criticize. I've heard that 20" wheels are a good choice for that (that's why I went for 20s for street driving). They're a good compromise between performance and looks too.

Is a 305 tire recommended for road racing? I would think it would cause the front tire to have less grip (fewer lbs. per square inch) digging into a curve. Although, it would have more contact patch. These things are always a compromise.

Personally, I like the look of a wide tire in the back and a 275 or 285 up front.

Does such a wide tire up front cause any issues during tight turns? I mean, is the wheel going to rub the wheel wells (especially on a lowered car)?

Good luck. I hope you are absolutely 100% happy with your choice of wheels and tires this time. Let's all put the Savini nightmares behind us.
Em,

I never thought for a moment your post was being critical. I don't think Dragoneye did either. Joe was referring to my passionate stand regarding wheel and tire fitment for the 5th Gen.

We have used a wide range of test drivers at Pedders. They are all SCCA Champions, INDY Car drivers, NASCAR drivers or Suspension Engineers that are weekend racers or offer consulting services. This video clip has Paul Tracy behind the wheel of the Pedders USA Camaro on Xa coilovers and the SS Brembos with Colbalt Friction pads.

This video has John Buttermore of Neargbrook Motorsports behind the wheel with Supercars and CTS-V brakes and Cobalt Friction Pads

All of our drivers find the Bridgestone RE-11 305/30/19s on Forgeline 19x10.5 wheels to be an ideal fitment. Generally, a full race slick on a road course will be much faster than a street tire. At Gingerman that is generally accepted to be four or five seconds, an eternity in motorsports. They feel the RE-11 is so good the difference would be half that.

The square wheel and tire fitment has a number of advantages. The inherent push in the 5th Gen is reduced with matching front and rears. Grip, stability, predictability, feel... I could go on for pages.

Making the fitment work with absolutely no rubs or restrictions of any kind is something we are very proud of. We worked this out with Dave Schardt the owner of Forgeline. Dave has delivered on every special project we worked on together including a monster build Challenger for Richard Petty. Talk about pressure, walk into Mr. Petty's garage and tell him this is the wheel and tire fitment we are going to run with my suspension on YOUR car. Smart man that he is he took my advice The Challenger is pulling steady state 1.4 G turns on custom offset Forgeline 19x10.5 wheels with Bridgestone RE-11 wheels.

There are a number of high quality wheel MFGs. Forgeline is my preference after working with some of the others. I know that what I get from Forgeline. My life and my drivers lives depend on it. Those that have worked with me on any project that is intended for the track find me to be obsessive when it comes to safety. I am not a hot shoe behind the wheel. I can drive well enough to get a car sorted and ready to bring in the professionals. If I hurt myself or worse on track I have no one to blame but me. If a driver gets hurt in one of my cars... I give the same instructions to every driver, every time they head out to the track. Don't scratch my car. You'll be running on the edge in a street car at race car like speeds. We have no HANS or any of the other safety equipment you are used to in a race car. If you don't scratch my car, you'll come off the track the same way you entered it. Don't scratch my car. Gods speed.

When people ask me about wheels, the only recommendation I make is FORGELINE. I trust Dave with my life and my driver's lives so why would I recommend anything less?

When people ask me about tires, I recommend Bridgestone RE-11s. It is what we have used on our last six project cars. Why would I recommend anything less?

PQ and I have had numerous lengthy discussions about his pending wheel and tire purchase. Take a wild guess what I want him to do Without being presumptuous, I think Randy asked because he respects my opinion. Tire life is a concern. The look is important. Randy is a grown man and will choose what works best for him and I will not be disappointed or offended in any way if he doesn't choose 305/30/19 RE-lls on Forgeline 305/30/19s. I would say the odds are 10,000 to 1. Just like my safety message to my drivers, my wheel and tire advice to Randy will not change. I know what works. I know what is best. Those that disagree with me have not had enough time or done enough research, They will come around

And for Randy, anything will be an improvement!!!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #2141
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2142
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I like the first 2 ...the others not so much..........

Dumb question if you have 315's now...why can't you go back with 315's?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle