Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #169
Tal

Drives: Old
GM is working on it, they are being relatively quiet though. Here's an article from last August, what they are working on is an update to the 6.2, 450+ hp and an extra mile per gallon or so to top things off.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...uto-com-54138/

LS1 97-04 (8 years)
LS2 05-07 (3 years)
LS3 08-10 (3 years)

It definately seems feasible to me that GM could update the LS block by 2011 or 2012, that doesn't mean they will just that they realistically could do so. 2011 would be a logical time for the update since the C7 Corvette is scheduled to launch in MY 2011 as well.

Back to the V6, I think it's a nice option, most muscle car V6's are just boring but I just don't think that can be said of 300+ horses under the hood, especially with the early reviews of it's good handling.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #170
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
Back to the V6 . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #171
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
You really think GM would sneak a DI V8 right under our noses and have it ready for the 2011 MY?
Highly doubt it.

I have a feeling the turbo is the way of the future....if gas prices continue the way they are....twin turbos w/ smaller engines. That way, the company can put out #'s that appease the gov't.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #172
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
If you had a factory turbo setup on this same displacement 3.6L DI DOHC VVT V6, maybe downed the compression a tad, though I don't know if you'd even have to considering the DI system's nature, I think you'd have a fire-breathing monster that still got close to 26-27 mpg on the highway if you kept your foot out of it. NA the damned thing gets 304 hp. That is phenomenal. A factory turbo setup could conceivably bump up the numbers into the 380-410 hp range. The EPA, CAFE, GM, and camaro enthusiasts alike could enjoy that car. 'Course, it would probably cost what an SS does(or will)...
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #173
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
It's too bad the V6 guages are way nicer than the SS "fat font" ones for those inclined to buy the SS.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #174
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I know just enough about this to be dangerous, but: My understanding is that DI works best with higher compression ratios. So a slightly smaller displacement with higher compression (i.e. a 5.7?) is not unlikely if they do put in a DI engine.

Would GM sneak in a DI engine? You betcha! There are strict CAFE goals that must be met and I guarantee they are engineering solutions across the board and will employ them asap.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #175
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
If the high pressure injection system can be produced relatively cheaply and reliably, IMHO there is no good reason NOT to incorporate the DI system onto ANY engine. Also, the DI doesn't necessarily 'prefer' high CR, it's just that it *is capable* of running 85 octane gas in that environment. theoretically, the higher the CR the better, and DI allows you to run a CR and fuel that would destroy the engine were it port injected. This process (high CR) creates more power from a given displacement and reduces emissions AND consumption of fuel. It's win win win. If you can do it realiably, (DI injector pressures are insane, in Diesel injector territory-they're essentially the same animal) and relatively inexpensively, it makes sense. Look at the new Porsche 911. This year's model has more power and less emissions and fuel consumption, all due to the DI Porsche put in it. They no doubt upped the CR too, however.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #176
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I personally think it looks better than the SS.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #177
kmdrum79

Drives: 2018 Audi SQ5
I have a question. I currently have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with the 3.9L, 240hp engine. Do you think the V6 will feel much different than it? What about the V8? Is the horsepower increase noticable when you initially accelerate or when you decide to stomp on the accelerator when you see a Mustang on the freeway and want to leave it in the dust?
kmdrum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #178
RealQuickCamaro

Drives: Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdrum79 View Post
I have a question. I currently have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with the 3.9L, 240hp engine. Do you think the V6 will feel much different than it? What about the V8? Is the horsepower increase noticable when you initially accelerate or when you decide to stomp on the accelerator when you see a Mustang on the freeway and want to leave it in the dust?
Yes you will notice a noticable differerence because it has 60 more horsepower along with 42 more tq. the transmission is better and geared better. u will notice also a difference in fuel g6 is rated at Hwy: 9.8 L/100 km and the camaro is under 9.0km per 100 km, the camaro only weighs 228 pounds more than the g6
RealQuickCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #179
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
For me, the V6 is looking better and better. The only thing I was iffy on was the sound of it, love the sound of the SS and I was worried the V6 wouldn't sound anywhere near as impressive. The video with Jay Leno revving the engine on his kinda helps, but I need to hear it in person first. Still though, 300 HP is more than enough to have fun with
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #180
MAROobsession

Drives: 05 Honda Accord V6
Im sort of in that same position as u with a g6 having a 2005 honda accord with the same amount of power, despite a few minor mods. Im sure u feel a good difference between our cars with the v6... RWD helps alot.

It's funny theres a thread that was going back and forth on the forum i used to go on regularly for my accord. It was talking about the v6 honda and other cars in its class with 250hp+ and whats the best value for the money. I throw in the fact that the V6 Camaro will be the best bang for the buck car starting at 23k with 300hp n thread goes dead for the past five days now... haha. It's true it going to be such a great car for the money.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #181
dsatch

Drives: 2001Buick LeSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I've never had a negative opinion of V6 Camaro's. I've owned 2 V6's ('91 RS and '02 Coupe) and loved them both.

But I've been saying all along that I wanted the V8 this time around.

I haven't owned a V8 since my first car ('82 Berlinetta) 16 years ago. So I think it's time to get back to where I started. lol That, and I need to overcompensate after driving around in a 103hp Aveo for 4 years prior to getting the new Camaro.

WELL said bro, I am gonna go for the rs/ss and i dont care if i go to the grave broke from the gas bills
dsatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #182
camarofanatic

Drives: 2010 camaro
at first i was wanting the ss but when i heard the V6 has 300hp and better gas mileage cnt really go wrong with that...i did take into consideraiton that i drive 60miles to my college campus a day up hill down hill traffic...heavy traffic and sometimes wide open Route 208 on those days i get out early but i ended up going with the 2lt rs it will be alot easier on my wallet and still be able to have 300 horses under my foot cant complain...i also think when people see the v6 perform in real life not in front of the computer screen i think it will change there preception...
camarofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote