Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Could be the most helpful exhaust thread

I read all of the exhaust threads trying to decide what I want to do.

I think it would be VERY helpful if someone knowledgeable enough could rate the different setups in terms of loudness, from lets say 1 to 10, with one being stock.

A short pro's and con's with each one.

Ignore the afm, since that is easily solved either with Range or a tune.

Maybe a LS99 and LS3 set up to where they become the same exhaust wise.

So may threads have a specific question, that then turns into headers and such when the question was not seeking headers info. Gets confusing.

Anyone knowledgeable want to give this a try? You could help a LOT of people.

Thanks,

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Going through the same thing here. I've pretty much settled on ARH LTs w/HF Cats into the stock NPP mufflers.

Hope you get a lot of responses from tuners who hear various combos everyday.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Loudness is still a subjective matter. What's loud to me may not be that loud to you. The only way you're going to get anything definitive is if someone records the actual decibel reading of every exhaust.

I would suggest first deciding HOW obnoxious (or subtle) you want your car to sound. Once you narrow it down, find every exhaust that falls into that category and watch TONS of Youtube videos.

When choosing my catback, I factored in a few things before I even started to look:
-Mine isn't my DD, so I could deal with something more obnoxious and aggressive.
-I didn't want to spend $1000 on a catback for a whispering exhaust only slightly louder than stock (basically I wanted a good bang for my buck).
-I wanted an exhaust that would still sound decent if I were to ever get LT headers and and cam.
-Piping diameter.

With those factored in, I had it narrowed down to a few, notably the ATAK, Outlaw, and Corsa. After watching tons upon tons of videos I eventually settled on the Outlaw.

I guess the point of this is, you can read opinions all you want, but it comes down to what YOU want and what YOU prefer. There is enough information already out there, whether it's on this site or others, all you have to do is look harder!
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
Loudness is still a subjective matter. What's loud to me may not be that loud to you. The only way you're going to get anything definitive is if someone records the actual decibel reading of every exhaust.

I would suggest first deciding HOW obnoxious (or subtle) you want your car to sound. Once you narrow it down, find every exhaust that falls into that category and watch TONS of Youtube videos.

When choosing my catback, I factored in a few things before I even started to look:
-Mine isn't my DD, so I could deal with something more obnoxious and aggressive.
-I didn't want to spend $1000 on a catback for a whispering exhaust only slightly louder than stock (basically I wanted a good bang for my buck).
-I wanted an exhaust that would still sound decent if I were to ever get LT headers and and cam.
-Piping diameter.

With those factored in, I had it narrowed down to a few, notably the ATAK, Outlaw, and Corsa. After watching tons upon tons of videos I eventually settled on the Outlaw.

I guess the point of this is, you can read opinions all you want, but it comes down to what YOU want and what YOU prefer. There is enough information already out there, whether it's on this site or others, all you have to do is look harder!
+1

Couldn't agree with this more. I have Flowmaster AT Catback bc I like that loud, old school rumble and to be honest it isn't loud enough. I'm dropping headers w no cats this Friday. Its not a DD so I doubt it will bother me too much but if it does I can add HFC if needed. I'm a street rodders daughter. Grew up watching my dad build street rods, drag racing and car shows on the weekends with all those raw gas smelling, rumbling street rods rolling around, I loved it. I love that loud, obnoxious sound. If it was DD I wouldn't want it that loud but IMO this car should be loud!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It all starts at the front headers give the best tone/sound.

The catbacks are just going to fine tune the sound to your style.

Personally i like it loud so i went withno cats and qtp cutouts (basicLly open headers)

I plan to add corsa for when i want quiet/refined sound .

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I have one of the more "quiet" setups, and while I really like it, my kids hate how loud it is in the back seat.

Even youtube videos are misleading because they each are recorded with a different device (usually a cellphone) and very few of them have some type of "constant" for comparison sake.

When I had my Camaro up on the dyno, I was standing off to the driver's side rear quarter recording it on my phone. In person, there was more than just the sound, I could feel the exhaust. When I watched the video afterwards, it was nothing compared to live. It's just like a NASCAR race. I've been to a few in person and need earplugs, but during the "Crank it up" segments of the show even my 5.1 digital stereo system can't compare.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
SteelCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Even youtube videos are misleading because they each are recorded with a different device (usually a cellphone) and very few of them have some type of "constant" for comparison sake..
Absolutely, but most people don't have a way to hear every single exhaust in person, which is where watching multiple videos comes into play. I never stick to only one or a few videos, which is why I said to watch a ton above. One can still get a pretty good idea on sound from Youtube videos...most cameras and phones are fairly high quality these days.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

I know it is subjective, and the audio clips are unreliable, some are outside, some inside (echo anyone).

What I was hoping for was a list of "mechanical/audio" probabilities.

Such as.
1. Stock
2. axle back only
3. resonator delete with stock muffflers
4. Cat back
5. Hi Flow Cats
6. Headers stock pipes and mufflers.

As I said I know it is subjective, but there must be some way of assuming with evidence a volume level. Meaning, which items quiet these exhausts the most. Muffler? Resonators?

Some pros and cons would be good, based on L99 and LS3.

Does this make sense?

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
need to measure db levels. may be at Camaro fest 5. some one with professional sound recording equipment should go around and record the common set ups with and with out long tube 1 7/8" headers.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
SteelCamaro

Again, all of that information can be found somewhere on this site or others. A simple two-second search yielded this thread regarding L99 vs LS3. I'm sure there's an endless amount more.

Here's my take on each setup, but someone else could have a completely different opinion.

1. Stock - Obviously the quietest option with no drone.

2. axle back only - Depends on the brand. They can range from barely louder than stock (1/10), to obnoxiously loud (10/10).

3. resonator delete with stock muffflers - A little bit louder than stock, maybe slightly raspier and not as refined sounding.

4. Cat back - Same as axleback, depends on the brand. They can range from barely louder than stock (1/10), to obnoxiously loud (10/10). Different brands use different types of mufflers and resonators, and will locate them in different positions throughout the piping. You'd need to be more specific on brand/type.

5. Hi Flow Cats - Assuming everything else goes untouched, these will amplify whatever sound you currently have (meaning the tone itself won't change a whole lot, if at all). If it's a catback, it will be a bit louder, if it's stock, it will be a bit louder, etc.

6. Headers stock pipes and mufflers. - Opens up the stock sound and sounds like LT headers would sound on many catbacks. Just don't expect anything incredibly obnoxious. I would say just north of middle of the road for this one.

As already stated, you would need dB readings for anything definitive, but even then that can still be subjective. Say you have your ideal "loudness" reading, but you don't like the particular tone of that exhaust or setup, then you are back to square one.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
And that doesn't even consider other mods like CAI, cam, FI, etc, because they also effect the sound of the car.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
SWAT

Drives: 2011 2SS RS L99
You tube clips can be very misleading IMO. You need to listen to various set ups in person.
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Thank you, this is a start!

If the L99 and LS3 are the same except for the Resonators and j-pipe in the muffler, why would removing it make is raspier on the L99? Does the LS3 use a resonator? (if so, it must be vastly different) What about a resonated x-pipe t replace it?

Where I am gong, is someone told me don't waste money on an axle back, it is cheaper and better to remove the big sound killer, the resonator on my L99.

That thread you linked to is helpful, but still not as good as what you posted.

thanks!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
Again, all of that information can be found somewhere on this site or others. A simple two-second search yielded this thread regarding L99 vs LS3. I'm sure there's an endless amount more.

Here's my take on each setup, but someone else could have a completely different opinion.

1. Stock - Obviously the quietest option with no drone.

2. axle back only - Depends on the brand. They can range from barely louder than stock (1/10), to obnoxiously loud (10/10).

3. resonator delete with stock muffflers - A little bit louder than stock, maybe slightly raspier and not as refined sounding.

4. Cat back - Same as axleback, depends on the brand. They can range from barely louder than stock (1/10), to obnoxiously loud (10/10). Different brands use different types of mufflers and resonators, and will locate them in different positions throughout the piping. You'd need to be more specific on brand/type.

5. Hi Flow Cats - Assuming everything else goes untouched, these will amplify whatever sound you currently have (meaning the tone itself won't change a whole lot, if at all). If it's a catback, it will be a bit louder, if it's stock, it will be a bit louder, etc.

6. Headers stock pipes and mufflers. - Opens up the stock sound and sounds like LT headers would sound on many catbacks. Just don't expect anything incredibly obnoxious. I would say just north of middle of the road for this one.

As already stated, you would need dB readings for anything definitive, but even then that can still be subjective. Say you have your ideal "loudness" reading, but you don't like the particular tone of that exhaust or setup, then you are back to square one.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
SteelCamaro

It becomes raspier and drones more because there are less components to muffle and refine the sound. The exhaust will produce a harsher note with nothing there to take the edge off the sound. It's really noticeable at WOT. Back to preference though, some people like that raspy sound.

The LS3 is a straight-through design, so removing the resonator wouldn't do all that much other than amplify it a bit. The L99's resonators are bulkier and do more than the LS3's, in that they also keep the AFM sound at bay. I've heard that removing them from an L99 exhaust makes the AFM almost intolerable. A proper X-pipe would probably take care of the AFM and drone, but in that case, you might as well just get a catback.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cama...ww.camaro5.com

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193148

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151676

There's even a thread a couple down from this one with most of the information you're looking for.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344029

Last edited by SteelCamaro; 02-26-2014 at 05:55 PM.