Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #43
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
I just got my cam and heads done. I'm using amsoil signature 5w30. As far as I read it's good enough. I'm thinking about putting in some zddp additive.
I don't have cats so I don't really care that much about that.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #44
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
What does the PF48R bring to table? Is it just bigger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It has more media and a thicker case. I have them in stock but they are over double the price of the PF48 at $12.95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
That is correct. We use mobile 1 BUT only 0w-40 which has a good zinc content.

In the last few years we have seen a good amount of cam/lifter failures. All different brand cams so I rule the cam out. Most common answer was using whatever oil was on sale.
I think the cams falling apart is what causes the oil pump pressure valves to stick. I've had a mellings stick before.
So, best I could say is use the correct oil and filter, change regularly.
The zinc issue is more related to none roller flat tappet set ups and there haven't been any findings stating that lower zinc levels affect roller set ups. I've seen this exact same thing on 100% stock LS3 and L99's so I wouldn't attribute it to only aftermarket cams needing higher grade oils. I've also seen it on multiple camshaft brands so you can't say it is a Comp Cams issue. I've talked with a lot of long time GM LS builders and they generally say the check valves stick due to dirty oil and that can happen with any oil on the market or pump for that matter. It could be the detergents being used in the newer oils as well but this is all speculation at this point.

I also recommend changing your oil and filter regularly as I stated in my original post. Going forward we will advise customers to use Red Line 5w30 or other high grade oils with the PF48R filter on ALL vehicles including 100% stock cars. The cost is double but at the end of the day it is cheaper than replacing parts or an engine for that matter.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #45
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Is the PF48R any better than a Mobil 1 or K&N filter?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #46
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
PM to Jordan to discuss this further

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #47
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
someone above mentioned the oil pump failure didnt apply to L99s. the later consensus is the pumps fail from engine/cam failure - perhaps as a result of oil quality.

Soooo...

Is the L99 pump any different than the Ls3s?

Has there been stock oil pump failures of L99s with cams? Dont think an LS3 conversion is Required for All cams (VVT?)

Seems to me the pump could still fail as a result of a cam failure on a L99.

Also (mentioned in one of my other threads):

Any reason besides cost why one shouldnt run a higher zinc oil such as the Joe gibbs LS30, even if the car isnt cammed (stock internals)?
This is a good question because I can only think of one L99 oil pump failure from this site in 4 years. There have been many LS3 oil pump failures reported and yes the L99 and Ls3 oil pumps are different.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Back on the road again...

Picked the car up on Friday. Now running stage two JDP grind and making 456 RWHP and 418 RWTQ. I am happy to have my baby back and will be changing oil more frequently!

Thanks for the lively discussion on this thread everyone. I hope no one has to go through this expense and at least takes away some learnings from my experience.

Thanks to Jordan and Jeremy at JDP Motorsports for the outstanding support and quick turn around of "UGO2SLO"!

-Dane
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
someone above mentioned the oil pump failure didnt apply to L99s. the later consensus is the pumps fail from engine/cam failure - perhaps as a result of oil quality.

Soooo...

Has there been stock oil pump failures of L99s with cams? Dont think an LS3 conversion is Required for All cams (VVT?)

Any reason besides cost why one shouldnt run a higher zinc oil such as the Joe gibbs LS30, even if the car isnt cammed (stock internals)?
If I remember correctly, the oil pumps on the L99 can provide the higher pressure/flow required to modulate the cam phasing.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Dane what's the grind on the JDP stage II cam?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #51
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Is the PF48R any better than a Mobil 1 or K&N filter?
The Mobil1 and K&N Filters are both manufactured by Champion Labs. I prefer the A/C Delco PF48R to either of those filters personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
PM to Jordan to discuss this further
PM replied too!! Sorry for the delay!

Quote:

Soooo...

I've seen the pumps fail in both LS3 and L99 applications although they seem more common with the LS3..

It certainly won't hurt to run a higher quality oil in any application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8daneh View Post
Picked the car up on Friday. Now running stage two JDP grind and making 456 RWHP and 418 RWTQ. I am happy to have my baby back and will be changing oil more frequently!

Thanks for the lively discussion on this thread everyone. I hope no one has to go through this expense and at least takes away some learnings from my experience.

Thanks to Jordan and Jeremy at JDP Motorsports for the outstanding support and quick turn around of "UGO2SLO"!

-Dane
She is running like a champ! I'm glad we were able to get her turned around quickly, Dane! Thank you for your support and I'll see you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
If I remember correctly, the oil pumps on the L99 can provide the higher pressure/flow required to modulate the cam phasing.
That is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonAKOO View Post
Dane what's the grind on the JDP stage II cam?
Solomon - It is our 231/247 camshaft.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #52
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
????? when did they pull VR1? I haven't looked lately but I know you can still buy it online.

I'm still running M1 5w-30 on this car but my internals are all stock. I'm starting to wonder if I should change to something else next time. VR1 would be my choice if I do.

I've just recently started running VR1 in my '69 after reading about all the oil issues.
Interesting, I'm currently running non-synthetic VR1 as well. Coming up on my first change since FI and Cam....hopefully it's coming back if it really did get pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint
I heard the same. In fact that's what my shop was going to swap mine out for during the cam install (but we forgot ).

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #53
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Vader pretty much summed it up. If you go with a cam then you should also change oil. Amsoil zrod, vr1, joe Gibbs, rp all are good oils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
We've done testing on numerous cam packages in long duration high RPM instances over thousands of miles with Mobil1 and we haven't has issues. I do prefer Red Line personally but it is twice the cost of Mobil1 and I also like the PF48R filters over the PF48. There are other good premium brands out there as well I just prefer Red Line.

I tried searching, but is there any thread on C5, comparing the oils? Im an oil noob, and will be installing my cam in a few weeks.

I read in a few places that the Zinc content is a concern mainly with flat-tappet cams?

What weight do I need, and how often should I change it? (Its my DD)

My shop uses Mobil 1 on everything, so im still trying to decide....
Old 11-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #54
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Id still use 10/30 synthetic just use one with more zddp.
Zrod
Vr1
Joe Gibbs to name a few.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
If anyone is interested in the amount of ZDDP in AMSOIL lubricants here is the info.

Code:
  Primary Recommendations  Phosphorus Level (ppm)  Zinc Level (ppm)

Break-In Oil (BRK)                                                     2040             2265

Z-ROD®   10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ZRT)      1320              1440

Z-ROD®  20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil (ZRF)       1320             1440

Secondary Recommendations Phosphorus Level (ppm)  Zinc Level(ppm)

Premium Protection 
  10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AMO)                     1265              1378

Premium Protection
   20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil (ARO)                     1266               1379

Series 3000 5W-30 
  Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDD)              1266               1379

15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine 
  Motor Oil (AME)                                                      1267               1377

AMSOIL Synthetic  Racing Oils Phosphorus Level (ppm)  Zinc Level (ppm)

DOMINATOR® 5W-20
  Synthetic Racing Oil (RD20)                                   1424               1575

DOMINATOR® 10W-30 
  Synthetic Racing Oil (RD30)                                   1424               1575

DOMINATOR® 15W-50 
  Synthetic Racing Oil (RD50)                                  1424                 1575

DOMINATOR® SAE 60 
  Synthetic Racing Oil (RD60)                                   1424                 1575
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #56
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
so should we be using 10w-30 if we have a cam? I dont want to loose my warranty not using dexos
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote