Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The Official(?) AFM Hate Thread

I've noticed in a number of threads that folks are looking for ways to completely disable AFM. In some cases it seems to be because they don't like the way the car feels when it transitions from V4 to V8 or vice versa. I don't know if this is specific to vehicles that have been modified or have an E85 tune or something else.

When I drive my car, unless I am working' it, I honestly don't know what mode it's in (V4 or V8) unless I look at the IP. And I have never felt or heard it switch. I have watched it switch on the IP, but never felt a bump, shake, chuggle, or any other indicator that something is going on under the hood. The exhaust doesn't seem to sound any different when in V4 mode. Personally, I like the additional fuel economy I get from AFM.

I just took a long trip and saw the IP switch modes a number of times. My max 50 mile mpg was 30.3 and my max 25 mile was 32.4. No doubt a lot of that due to being in V4 for a lot of the highway driving, even at relatively high speeds. At one point in time I was in V4 mode doing 84 on a slight incline. Top down.

So for those that hate AFM, what is it about the feature that drives you over the wall?

Those that like it, feel free to chime in, too.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
It's never bothered me one way or another. I kind of like the fuel savings.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
ABM1SSSG3

Drives: 2017 Arctic Blue Metallic A8 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I've noticed in a number of threads that folks are looking for ways to completely disable AFM. In some cases it seems to be because they don't like the way the car feels when it transitions from V4 to V8 or vice versa. I don't know if this is specific to vehicles that have been modified or have an E85 tune or something else.

When I drive my car, unless I am working' it, I honestly don't know what mode it's in (V4 or V8) unless I look at the IP. And I have never felt or heard it switch. I have watched it switch on the IP, but never felt a bump, shake, chuggle, or any other indicator that something is going on under the hood. The exhaust doesn't seem to sound any different when in V4 mode. Personally, I like the additional fuel economy I get from AFM.

I just took a long trip and saw the IP switch modes a number of times. My max 50 mile mpg was 30.3 and my max 25 mile was 32.4. No doubt a lot of that due to being in V4 for a lot of the highway driving, even at relatively high speeds. At one point in time I was in V4 mode doing 84 on a slight incline. Top down.

So for those that hate AFM, what is it about the feature that drives you over the wall?

+1, When I ordered my SS I was already thinking that I wasn't gonna like it, but I was wrong, very wrong. My driving is about 40% highway & 60% stop & go. Best 50 mi stretch is 30.8 mpg, and that includes a little city. I didn't buy this car for economy by any means. I'm not light footed, but averaging 21.0 since delivery is a plus in my book. Seamless transition.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
I would just like an option to choose what I want !!

my c7 only did it in eco mode great idea !!! not all the time in the new Camaro ss
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Get a range module to kill it, they work.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I don't hate it. I like the fuel savings, for the most part I don't hear it going into V4. I do hear the AFM valves opening and a subtle change in exhaust tone when going to V8( stock NPP exhaust).

I have some annoyances with it though. On the highway when maintaining a speed, it will go into V4 and not producing enough power to maintain said speed where V8 and throttle position was enough to maintain speed. Now I know that is largely due to the road I'm on isn't completely flat, but still annoying. A few times though when accelerating from a stop under light throttle and it will go into V4 in the middle of acceleration. Almost like it's the A8's version of the dreaded 1-4 skip shift.

One concern I have with it is I have been reading and hearing is the lifter issues the 6.2 liter V8's(both truck and LT1) have been experiencing has been caused by too much back pressure when in V4. So I'm just wondering if that is a ticking time bomb for me or it's a combination of the back pressure and defective lifters and the back pressure just triggers the defect to manifest eventually.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
I have noticed the exhaust sounds much different in V4 mode but I leave my NPP in track. Other than that it doesnt bother me at all.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
My trifecta tuned V6 only switches to V4 mode when i am in touring. If i change to Sport, it never goes into V4 mode.

I like it. My best 50 miles mpg is over 40. Awesome sauce. It makes a difference if you let it and it doesn't get in the way of performance when you dont want it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Just wait until your powertrain warranty is over and then pick up a handheld tuner and Flash that AFM away. If I have disabled in my Sierra for more than a year with no issues
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

This is worst.
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
Glen e

No Big deal, when it comes, there will be a switch to turn it off if you're that upset. And until you turn it back on , it will always stay off the more you restart the car. Per BMW and MB. On perf cars, it will always be a user selectable option.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
AFM is totally invisible in my car.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
that start stop nonsense is an extra couple seconds of hesitation when the light turns green. Aint nobody got time for that.

I'm glad the current gen camaro doesn't implement that garbage. Hopefully by the time i drive my car into the ground we'll be on electric drivetrains and I can skip that entire mess.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
that start stop nonsense is an extra couple seconds of hesitation when the light turns green. Aint nobody got time for that.

Not My experience ....the MB System is virtually instantaneous. I really don't want it either, but it's being way overblown as a problem. As your foot comes on the brake, before you can get to the gas, no better how quick you try, the engine is restored.

Tags
afm, fuel economy, mpg, v4 mode