Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #113
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
updates?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #114
Nobama

Drives: 2010 Silver 2SS Camaro
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it tonight. I just got my car last Monday and I've put 2-3/4 tanks of gas and onlt driven 607 miles. That comes out to around 12 miles per gallon!!!! Just normal everyday driving.
Nobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #115
BamaCommando
Roll Tide Roll!

Drives: 2010 2SS Black on Black
I got wind of the octane issue with the gasoline the day before my car got to the dealership and advised the dealer to fill it with premium or else don't add any at all. I was dealing with an old high school buddy and he assured me that GM reimbursed them for the fillup and that it didn't matter to the dealer if it was premium or not and that he would fill it with premium when it got in. I have only put 93 octane in it and it has about 1500 miles on it now. I went out with Mrs. BC yesterday with a stop watch and after several runs, we were consistant with about 6.1 or 6.2 zero to 60 times. I pulled the fuses and last night we went back out. The first run we hit 5.5 so I know we got a boost. We did a few more just to make sure and the best was a 5.2. I would suggest that everyone with the L99 pull the fuses and reset the ECM. It DOES make a difference.

Order number NGCC3D
1100 (Preliminary order accepted): 12/19/08
3000 (Order accepted by production control): 6/30/09
3100 (Order available to sequence):?
3300 (Order scheduled for production):?
3400 (Order broadcast):7/20/09
3800 (Order produced):7/28/09
4200 (shipped):7/30/09
HOME 8/12/09
The slowest 7 months and 3 weeks in history.
BamaCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #116
ls2gto

Drives: 2009 G8GT; 2007 Lexus LS 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm so confused.

Anyway, I was told that the fuel tables were automaticaly adjusting only one way. That it would adjust from high to low to protect the system but not from low to high. You can run high octane through the low tabled setting just fine but running low fuel through a high tabled system could damage your system.

Make sense?
It makes sense that your computer was behaving that way but that is precisely what is wrong. It does not make sense to even waste time with 2 octane tables if the engine cannot adapt in both directions between the 2. I do not own a Camaro but doesn't your owner's manual say you can run regular gas but that the engine will perform better on premium? That's what the quick reference guide for my G8GT says. If the first time you run 87, you end up forever stuck on the low octane table, then running premium will not do anything. For some reason, your "knock learn factor" is not returning to zero over time, even though no knock has been detected recently.

HPTuners knows this stuff better than most people and in case you missed it in my previous post, here is what they say right in the help section of their software that I purchased:

Main Spark Tables
The VCM constantly looks up both High Octane and Low Octane spark tables and interpolates a value between the two tables based on the current Knock Learn factor. If the engine has been operating for a moderate time without any Knock Retard then Knock Learn is zero and the interpolation favors the High Octane table, if Knock has been detected then the interpolation will move towards the Low Octane table. During MAF failure the Knock Learn is set to maximum and the Low Octane table is used (HP Tuners speed density enhancements allow both spark tables to function).

Note: Excessive spark advance will cause knock (detonation, pinging) and lead to severe engine damage. Do NOT rely on knock sensors as the only source of detecting knock during tuning.

I note that if your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor goes bad, the system defaults to the low octane table, but I would assume they ruled that out as being the problem.
ls2gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #117
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
I am pretty sure my L99 is "healthy" but just for shits and grins I'm yankin' the 5 and 20.
Maybe we should rename the thread: "The 5 and 20 Mod'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
updates?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #118
ls2gto

PS

I hate to bring this up but the fact that the computer slowly adapts to various inputs over time makes me wonder if inputs that are not octane related are part of the problem. As in, will the problem slowly come back....

Yeah I know, I need to shut up and go back to the G8 board.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #119
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2gto View Post
It makes sense that your computer was behaving that way but that is precisely what is wrong. It does not make sense to even waste time with 2 octane tables if the engine cannot adapt in both directions between the 2. I do not own a Camaro but doesn't your owner's manual say you can run regular gas but that the engine will perform better on premium? That's what the quick reference guide for my G8GT says. If the first time you run 87, you end up forever stuck on the low octane table, then running premium will not do anything. For some reason, your "knock learn factor" is not returning to zero over time, even though no knock has been detected recently.

HPTuners knows this stuff better than most people and in case you missed it in my previous post, here is what they say right in the help section of their software that I purchased:

Main Spark Tables
The VCM constantly looks up both High Octane and Low Octane spark tables and interpolates a value between the two tables based on the current Knock Learn factor. If the engine has been operating for a moderate time without any Knock Retard then Knock Learn is zero and the interpolation favors the High Octane table, if Knock has been detected then the interpolation will move towards the Low Octane table. During MAF failure the Knock Learn is set to maximum and the Low Octane table is used (HP Tuners speed density enhancements allow both spark tables to function).

Note: Excessive spark advance will cause knock (detonation, pinging) and lead to severe engine damage. Do NOT rely on knock sensors as the only source of detecting knock during tuning.

I note that if your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor goes bad, the system defaults to the low octane table, but I would assume they ruled that out as being the problem.
Hmmmmm. Well, when I say 'I was told', I'm talking about my dealers service manager who called me. She said that it was the TAC person from GM who called her about my car. (as I said, I had someone kind enough to look into it further for me) She was told by him that it was a one way deal without the dealer reseting it.

So, then, if it's is supposed to adjust both ways, GM will surely 'fix' it and update it.

BUT, look how many people on here that have benefited from the reset AND NEVER KNEW THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THEIR CAR. A few of us suspected this all along. Despite many thinking we were crazy. So if GM wanted to they could just leave it the way it is and instruct the dealers to 'fix' (reset) them should owners bring their cars in with 'slow' complaints. I think most people would never even know.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #120
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I was reluctant to advocate this as a stickey because I was asked to not 'expeirement' with the car any further. Of course when my dealer called me and told me that essentialy what I did was what GM told them to do with it, I thought the stickey was a great idea.

Quote:
PS

I hate to bring this up but the fact that the computer slowly adapts to various inputs over time makes me wonder if inputs that are not octane related are part of the problem. As in, will the problem slowly come back....

No, you're fine. It's a concern of mine too. I did more tests lastnight and got a 4.99 0-60. and another 13.3 quarter mile.

I'm gonna keep a close eye on it and in a month I'll reset it just for gp to see what happens.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #121
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
I did it last night....Pulled fuses...left it overnight....

did it work?

HELL YES IT WORKED!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #122
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
PS

I've been thinking about this too; I guess we'll all find out. I suppose, as long as GM is working on this, this simple procedure isn't too big a deal to do once-and-a-while.

IMHO - I've learned a lot from the G8 boards too, and if you contribute like this here, please don't go. I think we could all benefit from one another

Quote:
I was reluctant to advocate this as a stickey because I was asked to not 'expeirement' with the car any further. Of course when my dealer called me and told me that essentialy what I did was what GM told them to do with it, I thought the stickey was a great idea.

No, you're fine. It's a concern of mine too. I did more tests lastnight and got a 4.99 0-60. and another 13.3 quarter mile.

I'm gonna keep a close eye on it and in a month I'll reset it just for gp to see what happens.
I hear you. I feel better after reading this post because I'd hate to be one to contribute to a problem for the owners who performed this on their cars. Use at your own discretion doesn't make me feel disconnected from any, at least moral, responsibility if something were to have gone wrong; hence my leaving it un-stickied for so long. Now that we have dealer confirmation, my worry has completely gone away.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #123
ls2gto

Quote:
Hmmmmm. Well, when I say 'I was told', I'm talking about my dealers service manager who called me. She said that it was the TAC person from GM who called her about my car. (as I said, I had someone kind enough to look into it further for me) She was told by him that it was a one way deal without the dealer reseting it.

So, then, if it's is supposed to adjust both ways, GM will surely 'fix' it and update it.

BUT, look how many people on here that have benefited from the reset AND NEVER KNEW THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THEIR CAR. A few of us suspected this all along. Despite many thinking we were crazy. So if GM wanted to they could just leave it the way it is and instruct the dealers to 'fix' (reset) them should owners bring their cars in with 'slow' complaints. I think most people would never even know.
I know but I have an EE degree with a computer background and just am a little skeptical of the fix as my smart ass remark in my post above indicates. For example, what if everyone's knock sensor is faulty and says it is detecting a knock when one is not actually there? Then, the computer will slowly go back toward the low octane table and here comes that damn IS 350 again.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #124
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I've been thinking about this too; I guess we'll all find out. I suppose, as long as GM is working on this, this simple procedure isn't too big a deal to do once-and-a-while.

IMHO - I've learned a lot from the G8 boards too, and if you contribute like this here, please don't go. I think we could all benefit from one another

I hear you. I feel better after reading this post because I'd hate to be one to contribute to a problem for the owners who performed this on their cars. Use at your own discretion doesn't make me feel disconnected from any, at least moral, responsibility if something were to have gone wrong; hence my leaving it un-stickied for so long. Now that we have dealer confirmation, my worry has completely gone away.
To both.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #125
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
I disagree. This isn't a "MOD" it's a "HACK" - the digital equivalent of a duct tape fix.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #126
Tillman Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaros
Send a message via AIM to Tillman Speed
To answer, yes there is both high and low octane in the beta software with LS3/L99 calibrations pulled up. This is a great thread, and helps people understand exactly how the spark calibrations work for LSx's. Keep in mind, there are also adders and subtractors based on engine coolant temp, intake air temp, graphed with rpm and g/cyl as the axis'.

9 degree (roughly) difference should for sure wake the car up. It would be nice to get a back to back dyno with fuses pulled in between runs and after letting it sit overnight on the dyno. As long as conditions are the same.

Great thread. I don't see any harm in pulling the fuses until GM comes out with a new Adaptive calibration and gives out reflashes. I woudn't call it a "MOD" either. But I wouldn't go as far as saying a "HACK" or "DIGITAL DUCKTAPE". I'm thinking it should be referred to as a "PATCH" before the dealer is involved and can properly calibrate.

Chris
Tillman Speed is offline   Reply With Quote