Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
Scottishgames
Suck'n Gas And Haul'n Ass

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS - 1936 Chevy Streetrod
Bad Heater Core

Well, my heater core went out on my 2011 so I called the dealer for a repair.
Now I know I have had the car for 5 years, but only have 28000 miles on it. I have only used the heater two times (last Sat. was the second time) and I only drive it from May thru Oct.
So, the dealer tells me it will cost me $1350.00 to repair!. WTF!!!
They have to pull the dash and windshild to replace the heater core.
I found out they have had trouble with them for years now. Why was there not a recall on it?.
There is a old post on C5 about this but not much Information.
Dealer said they will talk to GM and see if they can do anything, But I'm not holding my breath.
I still love this car but this is hard to take.
Scottishgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wow,that sucks.i just sold a 2006 pontiac solstice due to parts availability issues.there were some engineering defects as well.as much as i liked the car it was time to move on.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishgames View Post
Well, my heater core went out on my 2011 so I called the dealer for a repair.
Now I know I have had the car for 5 years, but only have 28000 miles on it. I have only used the heater two times (last Sat. was the second time) and I only drive it from May thru Oct.
So, the dealer tells me it will cost me $1350.00 to repair!. WTF!!!
They have to pull the dash and windshild to replace the heater core.
I found out they have had trouble with them for years now. Why was there not a recall on it?.
There is a old post on C5 about this but not much Information.
Dealer said they will talk to GM and see if they can do anything, But I'm not holding my breath.
I still love this car but this is hard to take.
It has been a month ... did your heater core issue get resolved satisfactorily yet?
The likely reason there was not a recall is that a leaky heater core is not deemed a safety issue.
Some folks have replaced the heater core without pulling out the windshield by cutting the two long bolts on the top back of the dash after loosening them a ways.
If not fixed yet, in your case since you just about never use the heater (2 times in five years), you could just unhook the two heater hoses and connect to a bypass tube and that would stop any leaking until you had a chance to figure out the best way to resolve.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote