Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
jdwarren

Drives: 2013 chevrolet camaro rally yellow
Question Can you add USB to stock/base radio?

Hey everyone!

I just got a 2013 2LS camaro yesterday - EVERYTHING base model. No touch screen radio.. just the regular stock boring one.

I only have a AUX port, not a USB.

I have an iPhone which makes me make/receive calls and the radio recognizes m phone but i CANNOT play music through the bluetooth - or can I? I have the 2013..

I have heard there are 2 bluetooth modules and in order to play bluetooth music from your phone on your radio you must have the USB option installed.

My questions:
1) Is it possible for me to install a USB on the base/factory radio?
2) IF it is possible for me to install the USB port, would this also allow me to play audio through bluetooth to my factory radio?

Let me know what you guys think / if you have any answers, It is GREATLY appreciated. I just got my camaro yesterday so i am new to Chevrolet, but i LOVE it so far

Thanks everyone and have a great day!!
jdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwarren View Post
My questions:
1) Is it possible for me to install a USB on the base/factory radio? Yes
2) IF it is possible for me to install the USB port, would this also allow me to play audio through bluetooth to my factory radio? Yes
You need to buy the PDIM accessory kit. You can install it yourself but you will still need to take your car to a dealer to have them "program" the car to recognize the PDIM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
DIY for the install

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
jdwarren

Thank you for the fast response!

In total the charges will be:

~ $140 for PDIM
+
~ $40 for programming

=
$180 to add USB, hmm is it worth it?!?!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
The bluetooth for phone calls should be standard on yours and works through the onstar box. The bluetooth audio works through the PDIM. I added the PDIM on my 2011 and couldn't imagine not having it. With the USB in I have complete control of my ipod with the radio. Well worth the money for me. Search around for a deal. I paid under $100 for my PDIM from the classifieds here.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
jdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
With the USB in I have complete control of my ipod with the radio.
Thanks for the reply Obzen! Which radio do you have? The stock / non-touch screen radio? Thats what I have and if I can have full control, i like that a lot!

Also,
I currently have the shitty halogen headlamps.

I would like 2 things:
1) DRL Halo's (<- is it possible to make the Halos always ON? I guess thats DRL)
2) HID's! When it turns dark, i have the "auto" headlights, so when it turns dark i want my actually headlights to be HIDs Im guessing 4,000K or 6,000K.

Now the technical stuff-
I would really like the Halo's to be on 24/7.. Even during the middle of the day, and the middle of the night when i have the HIDs turned on. Is that possible?

Do I actually buy seperate lights? Or does it all come in one? Halos + HID bulbs.

Last question:
WHERE TO BUY?
I want the CHEAPEST deal - it is cyber monday so i'm guessing i can get a good deal today.
I do not need color changing, just the standard white halo.. I just want the cheapest deal.

Can i buy a light module for a 2012 and will it work in my 2013??

Last question - Is there a way to get HID fog lights WITHOUT cutting into my car? ( I have the base model camaro, doesn't come with fog lights, it is just a piece of plastic. IF i have to cut - will that cancel my lease? thanks!)

Thank for all the replies / information everyone.

It is greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Obzen! Which radio do you have? The stock / non-touch screen radio? Thats what I have and if I can have full control, i like that a lot!

Also,

I would like 2 things:
1) DRL Halo's (<- is it possible to make the Halos always ON? I guess thats DRL)
2) HID's! When it turns dark, i have the "auto" headlights, so when it turns dark i want my actually headlights to be HIDs Im guessing 4,000K or 6,000K.

Now the technical stuff-
I would really like the Halo's to be on 24/7.. Even during the middle of the day, and the middle of the night when i have the HIDs turned on. Is that possible?

Do I actually buy seperate lights? Or does it all come in one? Halos + HID bulbs.

Last question:
WHERE TO BUY?
I want the CHEAPEST deal - it is cyber monday so i'm guessing i can get a good deal today.
I do not need color changing, just the standard white halo.. I just want the cheapest deal.

Last question - Is there a way to get HID fog lights WITHOUT cutting into my car? ( I have the base model camaro, doesn't come with fog lights, it is just a piece of plastic. IF i have to cut - will that cancel my lease? thanks!)

Yes I have the standard radio. The touchscreen wasn't available until 2013. I'm assuming the pdim works the same with the 2013 standard radio. I think you're the first to ask about it though.

The lights, everything you want is possible but its gonna take work and parts since you don't have the RS package. I'm sure someone else will chime in. There lot's of threads about all those things. I'd try a search in this forum or a seperate thread about the lights so more people can answer.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:

Also,

I would like 2 things:

Now the technical stuff-

Last question:
WHERE TO BUY?

You can do everything you want but as obzen mentioned, it's going to take some work and some extra components.

Here are a few quick questions, do you basically want RS lights or are you ok with halos and lights from say AAC? I have retrofit in mine. You can look at my build thread and I have pics of how they look towards the bottom of the first page.

Also, I wouldn't add HIDs to your fogs because they can melt housings pretty easily. If you want the "white" look, you can just go with LED fogs and that will do it. You really don't need the light output from the fogs if you get HID headlamps since those will be bright enough.

You stated you have the car leased..... I don't know how any of this is going to affect that. So yes it can be done but it's really up to you on what you want to do

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
jdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
You can do everything you want but as obzen mentioned, it's going to take some work and some extra components.

Here are a few quick questions, do you basically want RS lights or are you ok with halos and lights from say AAC? I have retrofit in mine. You can look at my build thread and I have pics of how they look towards the bottom of the first page.

Also, I wouldn't add HIDs to your fogs because they can melt housings pretty easily. If you want the "white" look, you can just go with LED fogs and that will do it. You really don't need the light output from the fogs if you get HID headlamps since those will be bright enough.

You stated you have the car leased..... I don't know how any of this is going to affect that. So yes it can be done but it's really up to you on what you want to do
Wow! Your camaro looks SICK!! i wish i had that one haha.. one day i hope mine looks like yours.

So about the lights...
All i really want is the HID lights and a " O" like a circle / halo / eagle eye..

To be honest, I can't really tell too much of a difference between the eagle eye and a halo.. so I guess i will go with whatever is cheaper.

You said you have a "retrofit"? I have no idea what that is. Is that a combination of the two? Or is that a Halo? OR eagle eye? lmao I am clueless.

btw, i really appreciate your help.. I just got my camaro yesterday and this is all new to me but i love the camaro and now i wanna pimp it out and i love those halo lights!!

All in all, since i have a lease, I want to keep my stock halogen lights and take them out to put a whole new light housing in there.

Then with the new light housing, i wanna add the HID lights (thats easy... just get a hid converter kit 6000K).

The tricky part is this eagle eye/LED halo/ RS light deal..

I guess all I really want is a "white" halo that will match my HIDs.
and i want the halo to be running all day/night when i have my car turned on.

What do you think is my cheapest option?

I saw this one... $329 and it includes the headlight housing & LED halo
http://flashtechusa.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=97

All i would do it need to add HIDs so im guessing around $399 total for my light build
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
lscamaro

Okay, so I take it you're fine with just installing the HIDs into the halogen housing. Just so you know, that's illegal. Now, having said that, many do it and hardly ever get stopped for it. If you're going to just install the HIDs into the halogen headlight, then yea, all you need are the halos installed in the housing. The link you provided seems to be colorshift ones.

A retrofit is when you add an HID projector into a reflector housing to do it the "legal" way. That's really all it is.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
jdwarren

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Okay, so I take it you're fine with just installing the HIDs into the halogen housing. Just so you know, that's illegal. Now, having said that, many do it and hardly ever get stopped for it. If you're going to just install the HIDs into the halogen headlight, then yea, all you need are the halos installed in the housing. The link you provided seems to be colorshift ones.

A retrofit is when you add an HID projector into a reflector housing to do it the "legal" way. That's really all it is.
Do you reccomend colorshift?

also check this out!
http://www.hidextra.com/h13/6000k/
Only $29.99 shipped.. 6000K or should I get 8000K because it looks less "illegal"?

Is that the correct bulb size do you think ?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
lscamaro

Yes and no. I don't like how on the colorshift systems you can't get a perfect "white". You either get a slight blue tinted white or a slight pink tinted white. If you feel you're going to use the other colors and don't mind not getting a perfect white, they are nice.

I'd also take into account that as you go higher up, you lose useable light. I have 5000k in my projectors and I like them