Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #99
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
I PM'd you Norm, its a long read and I had to send it in 2 seperate PM's LOL, but I think you'll like it.
Thanks, Eric. Got them last night, and realized that I'd be a whole lot better off reading them when I was fresh/wide awake/etc. And as a printed hard copy.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #100
ninjamaster5000

Drives: 2011 LT
So if I get the airbags and everything that goes with them replaced, how do I know this won't happen again?

How is it possible for this 2011 v6 to drift like this without popping airbags? (he says it's 2011 2LT/RS in another video)

ninjamaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #101
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamaster5000 View Post
How is it possible for this 2011 v6 to drift like this without popping airbags? (he says it's 2011 2LT/RS in another video)
Do you know for sure that the bags for that car weren't deactivated? For that matter, do you know that that car even has air bags in it any longer?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #102
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamaster5000 View Post
So if I get the airbags and everything that goes with them replaced, how do I know this won't happen again?

There are so many variables as to why air bags might go off or not. As Norm stated a few, also the type of pavement can be a factor. Does the pavement have potholes or patches that a tire can catch on, is it smooth so the tires slide like on glass? As I discussed with you in a PM, things like wheel hop can potentially trigger in combination with doing other things. There's no magic bullet here. Shit happens. Unless you have video of exactly what your car was doing at the time, you can only guess what caused the bags to go off.

When this happened to me, I was tracking with a Shelby club. I was the only GM in the group. After the incident a few guys came over to sympathize, while a few Ford jerkoffs said to me that's what you get for owning a GM. According to these guys (guys with Boss 302s) the Ford did not have at the time the yar rate sensor which sensed imminent rollover. Not sure if that was true then or not, but it might explain why this seems to be more prominent with the Camaro.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #103
Steve_RS_Camaro
Ain't Scared Racing

Drives: 2015 Summit White Camaro Z28
Have an RS that had side airbags deploy this weekend. All stock only difference have BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 same size as originals. Traction control/stabilititrac off shifter in the M position not using the paddle shifters. It was a hard right hand corner slightly hit the rumbles and all the wheels stayed on the ground.
Attached Images

Steve_RS_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #104
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Fix it yourself. I spent about $1,400 for parts, and $150 on the reprogram of the SDM. Dealer wanted $4,000 and then my car was flagged with a "warranty lock" because they pulled the computer info and saw I had a tune.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #105
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
This is definitely an engineering problem. So imagine your cornering hard like Steve_RS_Camaro said, but worse, your sliding off the corner.. as your doing this your airbags pop... then you actually roll over cause now your on grass... well now your bags are deflated and do nothing... So imagine trying to tell GM your bags popped first then you rolled over. It's crap. They need to fix it. I cant even go really beat on my 2010 SS with ZL1 tires now cause I'm afraid this will happen.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 PM   #106
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I have heard about this happening, but never really thought it was a reality. I regularly pull 1.7G's on the track and do not even think about it...I would be going straight to GM and demanding replacement....I would have my lawyer in tow.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #107
Pork Chop

Drives: M6 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I changed my auto insurance this year to save a boat load of money. My agent informed me that my policy covers accidental air bag deployment at no extra charge. I never heard of this type of coverage before but she informed me that this was a known problem with the Camaro and added it to the policy. Glad I have it especially if it coats 4K to replace the air bags.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #108
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
I changed my auto insurance this year to save a boat load of money. My agent informed me that my policy covers accidental air bag deployment at no extra charge. I never heard of this type of coverage before but she informed me that this was a known problem with the Camaro and added it to the policy. Glad I have it especially if it coats 4K to replace the air bags.
What insurance company do you use?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #109
Pork Chop

Drives: M6 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrulie View Post
What insurance company do you use?
MMG , Maine Mutual Group
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
side air bags warranty