Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #295
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
I also hear the whine - and yes you need headphones.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #296

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think it's just too obvious that it's an LT-4....That is a ZL-1 hood that is designed to be high enough and provide clearance for the supercharger....If anything the Z/28 may have a taller, wider supercharger...

I just don't think if it were another non supercharged, normally aspirated engine, that they would put the ZL-1 hood on it for deception purposes and do testing at the Ring.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #297
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think it's just too obvious that it's an LT-4....That is a ZL-1 hood that is designed to be high enough and provide clearance for the supercharger....If anything the Z/28 may have a taller, wider supercharger...

I just don't think if it were another non supercharged, normally aspirated engine, that they would put the ZL-1 hood on it for deception purposes and do testing at the Ring.
They used a different grill than from the ZL1, not sure if it would make any difference for airflow.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #298
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

It's obvious, but it makes no sense. You will have to Camaros stacked right on top of each other. Unless they got more power out of the Z28 LT4, there's no reason to buy it. You think the 5th gen Z/28 sold poorly? Just wait until you can get the same power, with more comfort and features. They might as well make this the ZL2 option package.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #299
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
At the 34 second mark the car would be off the throttle and setting into the turn. At most, a part throttle corner entry. As stated, blower whine is generally heard at WOT. I find it hard to believe that you could hear a SC at that point at the distance this video appears to taken from. Of course it's possible, but doesn't seem reasonable to me. Time will tell.

Wasn't Al O or Mark R quoted somewhere stating smaller displacement, higher RPM return to the original mindset? LT4 is neither.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #300
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I just noticed something, if you look at the ZL1 grill and this one the ZL1 appears to be bigger and the grill itself is definitely different. So maybe not the LT4?
I think the opening is the same but the grills are different.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #301
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Seems to me that he is slowing down into the turn when we hear the whine. Either the photographer is far away and we are hearing the whine before he gets on the brakes or its just tire noise we are hearing. I'm saying NA as well if this is the Z28 we are seeing.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #302
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
At the 34 second mark the car would be off the throttle and setting into the turn. At most, a part throttle corner entry. As stated, blower whine is generally heard at WOT. I find it hard to believe that you could hear a SC at that point at the distance this video appears to taken from. Of course it's possible, but doesn't seem reasonable to me. Time will tell.

Wasn't Al O or Mark R quoted somewhere stating smaller displacement, higher RPM return to the original mindset? LT4 is neither.
It was along the lines of "what made the original Z/28 special? Small displacement, high RPM small block" and people immediately went apeshit on that thinking that ABSOLUTELY MEANT that the new Z/28 was getting not only a high RPM screamer but a 302 also!

Then there's the incessant rumors of the 5.5 race motor going into the car.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #303
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
nah, as Bhobbs said you can hear the whine at 0:34, listen closely right as he's entering the turn..... it's most likely supercharged
Agreed. Def whine at 34 seconds. But, as someone mentioned. 2 different cars in the video. Or, they keep messing with us with those Orange hash marks. haha.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #304

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It's obvious, but it makes no sense. You will have to Camaros stacked right on top of each other. Unless they got more power out of the Z28 LT4, there's no reason to buy it. You think the 5th gen Z/28 sold poorly? Just wait until you can get the same power, with more comfort and features.
I don't think they are worried too much about the Z/28, this gen or last, as being a big seller. If it looks like they are just "stacked", I don't see that as a concern.

The Z/28 will be at the top of the stack. It had a unique engine, normally aspirated last gen and sales stunk. Maybe they don't want a repeat of that.

All the howling for normally aspirated didn't translate into a big selling 5th Gen.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #305
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Car is N.A. there not going to add 100LB to a track car.
They did to the Z06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
Nice observation on the hash marks. The car with the whine @ 34 seconds doesn't have the orange hashes.
The non has mark car is definitely a manual. In its shot leaving the driveway you can clearly hear (Throttle off/clutch in) engine decel between gear switches. Not a seamless drop in RPM like an auto would have.

The hash mark car after pulling out of the roundabout at 2:35-2:55 makes at least 3 maybe 4 gear changes up seamlessly from maybe 10-35mph never seeming to exceed 2k rpm. This definitely smells of 10 speed auto to me.

I also think both drivers were well aware they were being recorded and were mindful to try and not make it obvoius if the car was an auto or manual.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #306
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
They did to the Z06.

And Tadge has all but admitted that they were completely wrong in doing that. Pissed off the ZR1 customers and the Z06 customers all at once.

If you guys here SC whine in a braking zone then its magic. The LT4 has little SC noise to begin with but off throttle whine? That makes no sense.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #307
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm predicting an LT4 with a larger blower. I'd like to think they'd look into an NA Gen V, but don't know that they'd devote a special engine only to Z/28... Unless it also makes it into ZR1... I don't think they'd bump the boost in LT4 because I thought I read somewhere it's pretty much spinning as fast as it can before getting out of efficiency. It seems to me, they don't have hoodline constraints, as they would in Z06, and LT4 is already in ZL1, so if they want more power, keep the camshaft tame, add larger rotors in the SC, drop the boost and heat in the charge air, and get closer to 700-horse. That seems like the simplest way to get more power, but at an expense of mass... More power means more mass in the rest of the drivetrain, too...

BUT... I can also see that maybe they tickle the valvetrain a little more aggresively in LT1, get rid of AFM at VVT, add forged pistons (which I think they ONLY did in Z/28 - not in any Z06 variants), retune in the intake manifold for more volume and flow, and get closer to 550 NA. No charge air heat from boost, no additional weight from the cooler circuit and blower, and the response of a good NA powerplant. I suspect Gen VI Z/28 will be lighter than SS, too, so getting closer to the GT350R's weight, and increasing power above it, seems like a logical step, to me. Less torque than LT4 could mean SS-type driveline, lowering weight (below ZL1), too, like they did in Gen V Z/28.

OK - I really don't see a blown engine in Z/28; I DO see a lighter, more powerful "LS6" or "L88" NA engine that will be shared with a C7 mid-engine Corvette we've all been reading speculation about though Wouldn't it be SO COOL to see another 427?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #308
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
GM doesn't care anymore about "N/A heritage"...that went out the window with the Z06

They're selling the LT4 as a track ready engine, and that's what they're going to go after with a LT4 Z/28.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote