Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
... That is the beauty of detailing, we can all use what we think works best for our paint. After all its supposed be enjoyable.
Now THAT I'm in agreement with 100%. I wouldn't bother doing it for any other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword5 View Post
I just knew "The Junkman" would get in on this one!
After over two years here, you all know how passionate I am about some jacked up paint on a nice car.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I had my 2010 Camaro covered with my CarKing cover all winter. This was after I corrected the paint. I followed AJ's videos on correction as well as Waterless Wash with the Calf Duster and finally how to remove the cover and didn't have as much as smudge in the paint. I think I've put about 2000 miles on it since uncovering it and with regular washes and proper care and check the paint regularly. Still no scratches. I would recommmend the Junkmans process from first hand experince, but I've also just received my sample of the blackfire WW to compare it against Adams. I'll let you know the results
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

I don't think you can go wrong with either product when you understand the purpose of the product. Some people actually attempt to wash their car with that stuff as if it was ONR. That's how WW products get such a bad rap and cause so much damage.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Junkman, I would have used the WW products myself to clean my car before I watched your videos and tips. I now know to remove the dust or as much of it as you can before using these products. I also know that when the car gets a film on it, it's time to wash and not dust and wipe. Getting ready to order a PC, so I'm hoping this only makes the car look even better. Thanks for all of the help here in the forum.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

You my friend have picked up on some key points of when and when not to use a WW product. Kudos to you. When you get your PC and have watched my PC videos enough times, go at it. I'm here if you have any questions.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I would only add that any product, when used incorrectly, presents a risk to maintaining a swirl free, high-gloss paint finish.

Just like the proper use of a duster is being champoined, the proper use of a waterless wash should also be used. In the pictures above, there was a more than a light film of dust on the car, and by using the right technique with the right towel and product, the dust was removed with out dulling the surface of the paint (at all).

Long before I got into product development and education I was an obessed high-end detailer. I have had the pleasure on working on, polishing, perfecting (and keeping perfect) cars that have won awards at some of the most prestigous car shows in the world. I have detailed exclusively for Bugatti, worked with car manufacturers, been featured in magazines, and many of the techniques I have used are now industry standard. One thing I have learned, is that any product, when used incorrectly (regardless of name or brand) can damage the paint that we all take so much pride in.

Every tool and product does have limitations. A properly designed waterless wash is going to provide far more lubricity to the paint then dry mopping dust off the paint. This isn't to say that both products cannot achieve a desired result, but the risk is far greater when you are using a yarn made mop to dry wipe abrasive material from the paint.

Ultimately we are all going to do what we feels yields the best results and proper technique will always trump product selection. Either method, used incorrectly, is going to leave the owner frustrated. However, using a plush microfiber towel and a quality waterless wash is going to offer, at the very least, a larger margin of safety against abrasion. When used correctly it will offer additional benefits as well.

Luckily my job provides me with great opportunties to test products as thoroughly as I can and this is some area, particularly as developer of car care products, where I have been able to test repeately.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as perfect paint, zoom in far enough and you are going to find scratches on the paint's surface that refract light (even if you cannot see visible swirl marks). Literally anything that touches the paint is going to impart some level of scratching on the surface (even if it is so microscopic you cannot see it).

So when testing effective methods of dust removal we test extremely (extremely) soft and scratch sensitive paint systems. If we can safely remove dust and dirt build up from these surfaces with out creating visible damage then we know we are not dulling the surface of regular, OEM applied, factory paints.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash will remove moderate amounts of soiling with out causing any visible damage on extremely soft paint finishes. We also found that some materials, such as wax impregnated yarn, can cause some surface dulling (again on extremely soft paints) even when the surface is moderately clean. It is a simple matter of abrasion caused by friction. Just because you cannot see the damage on a harder paint system doesn't mean that it is not occurring and that it will not add up over time.

Ultimately, Califorina Dusters are excellent tools, we sells 1000s of them. You cannot beat there use of use, but by using proper chemicals and technique I feel you can definately improve upon the safety margin.

As long as we are happy with the shine of our ride and the convenience of use, there is never a wrong or right answer, just what works best for us!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I think one thing we can all agree on separate from the resumes is the passion!

The real question is how do we get the wives to understand it!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
I think one thing we can all agree on separate from the resumes is the passion!

The real question is how do we get the wives to understand it!
When you find out, let us know please.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

What is this "wives" thing you all speak of?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
You guys don't realize how much damage to you paint a car cover can do....@Angelo, you will be taking care of scratches/swirls constantly if you were to put on/remove a car cover every day.OP I recommend not going with a car cover. It is your choice, but I'm sure others will chime in. A California Duster, Adam's Waterless Wash or even some other product from another company will do better than a car cover.
THIS. Just putting a car cover on my car a few times scratched the paint.

Get the california duster, OP.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

If you use a quality car cover at the correct time and in the correct manner, it won't do any damage. The only time I ever cover my car is right after I have washed it. If it has been driven down the driveway right after I have washed it, I now consider the car dirty. I never cover a dirty car.