Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
Dilmma!

i kinda need some advice, there's this dealership i found with a pretty nice camaro and i'd be totally and could buy it BUT! there's a dilemma i have to deal with, i'm making payments on my impala, it'll be atleast a year before i'm finished paying for it, but summer is around the corner and what better way than in a camaro :( so getting to the point here's my question

Should i buy the camaro, i like how it looks n all but i havent test drove it, but chances are its going to be great! Or.. do i pay my impala as fast as humanly possible and save for a 5th gen? or just pay my impala reguardless? i'm sure i can handle 2 insurances and the car notes, but...is it worth it? i'd have to do alot of number crunching and maybe work a little O/T, but i really like the car...

personally i've been told at work, "pay the impala" and "save for u'r new camaro not a used one" but its so sexy! so i want u'r guy's and ladies's imput thx
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Pay off impala, buy 5th Gen Camaro...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Pay off impala, buy 5th Gen Camaro...
+1^^^^

Be patient my young grasshopper!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Good things come to those who wait.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
Tell us a little about this Camaro on the lot if you want an honest opinion. By you not even telling the color, I think you know your answer :p

It really depends on what you want. Having multiple cars is soooooo worth it so I'm tempted to tell you to hold out, but I know how tempting a shiney new Camaro sitting there staring at you can be. We have the collection to prove that
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
As nice as the 4thgens are, I'd tell you to stick with the Impala for now, and hang on for another few months. The 5th gen is just around the corner. You know you won't be sorry with that purchase.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I agree... stick with the Impala for now. That 5th Gen will be here before you know it... and it will be worth the wait!

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Buying a camaro now will make it harder to afford a new camaro next year. so if you think it may be possible somehow to maybe afford it all, you probably can't. If you have the money just sitting around its a different story.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I know how tempting it can be....but really...you have less than a year before the 5th Gen is on dealer lots.

Pay off the Impala. If the dealers around you hike up the price on the 5th Gen you want, hold off a couple more months (saving money anyway since your Impala is paid off) and put down a nice downpayment on the shiny new 5th Gen a short while later. I realized a while ago that I MUST have the wifes Kia paid off in order to get my 5th Gen (can't afford two car notes).

Oh...and don't EVER put yourself into a situation where you MUST have the OT in order to afford something....NEVER. Work the OT now and either bank that money for the new car, or make payments to the principal of your Impala loan (save a couple bucks in the long run on those payments!)....pay it off sooner so you can start saving earlier.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:28 AM   #11
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Oh...and don't EVER put yourself into a situation where you MUST have the OT in order to afford something....NEVER. Work the OT now and either bank that money for the new car, or make payments to the principal of your Impala loan (save a couple bucks in the long run on those payments!)....pay it off sooner so you can start saving earlier.
Tag your a smart man! My wife and i started a policy 10 years ago to never pay for anything with credit (except the house) cash only. And never buy a car new but at least 2 to 3 years old...Let me tell you, it was the very best thing we've ever done in our life’s.

We have Zero bills (except house stuff/gas/elect...ect)
We paid the house off. paid cash for our last two car (we drove the two previous cars into the grave to do this) 2006 H2 (mine) and 2003 covert VW Bug (wife).

You might think we have no kids...well let me tell you we have 4...I’m not trying to brag...but when you buy with credit...your just giving the bank about 30% more than your getting...and that adds up.

Yes I work overtime...but the overtime goes into the savings account and we budget the base salary.

If i can stress enough the importance to stay any from the extra debit...I know I want the first Camaro on the block and it might be the first new car I've bought in 15 years...but it'll be worth it!

So now I'll get off my soap box...but if you can do it...you'll never be happier.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 AM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
[

Tag your a smart man! My wife and i started a policy 10 years ago to never pay for anything with credit (except the house) cash only. And never buy a car new but at least 2 to 3 years old...Let me tell you, it was the very best thing we've ever done in our life’s.

We paid the house off. paid cash for our last two car (we drove the two previous cars into the grave to do this) 2006 H2 (mine) and 2003 covert VW Bug (wife).

You might think we have no kids...well let me tell you we have 4...I’m not trying to brag...but when you buy with credit...your just giving the bank about 30% more than your getting...and that adds up.

Yes I work overtime...but the overtime goes into the savings account and we budget the base salary.

If i can stress enough the importance to stay any from the extra debit...I know I want the first Camaro on the block and it might be the first new car I've bought in 15 years...but it'll be worth it!

So now I'll get off my soap box...but if you can do it...you'll never be happier.

I've been saying the same thing all along. Unfortunately I'll be taking on an insane amount of debt in 2 months time (almost none of it mine) and my formerly positive net worth that I was so proud of will go straight into "better off dead" territory. Debt is a horrible, horrible thing. Because of it, I won't be getting a new Camaro. When I found out about what I was taking on tonight, I watched that dream shatter into a million pieces. Avoid it all at costs. Have fun with your Camaros. I sure envy you all.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
[

I'm so jealous. We are about 1 year into a similar plan. I can't wait to get there... Good for you!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post

I've been saying the same thing all along. Unfortunately I'll be taking on an insane amount of debt in 2 months time (almost none of it mine) and my formerly positive net worth that I was so proud of will go straight into "better off dead" territory. Debt is a horrible, horrible thing. Because of it, I won't be getting a new Camaro. When I found out about what I was taking on tonight, I watched that dream shatter into a million pieces. Avoid it all at costs. Have fun with your Camaros. I sure envy you all.
Im sorry to hear that, but you sound like you know whats up...and Im sure the debit your taking on is worth it.

Sounds like to me your getting married, and yes that can bring on more debit than a single man is used to.

I wish you best of luck, and just keep the faith...and if you follow the guide lines of "Rich Man, Poor Man" You'll get the Camaro you want someday.

Just wait about 2 to 3 years and you'll be able to pick up a camaro (hopefully a "SS") from someone who' couldn't afford it and you'll save 10k to 15k or more. that has been my game plan for some years now...and it works well.

Just as an example, we baught my H2 last month...its a 2006, had 16k miles on it, its the Luxury model with all the EXTRA'S (jumpseat, ect.) And it looks like its brand new...We paid 38,250 cash from a dealership (Ebay) which buys at auction and sells at great prices. When we got all the orignal paper work, it sold new in June 2006 for 58k and some change (so 1 1/2 later) We saved 20k + using the "Rich Man, Poor Man" buying method. Its been a live saver for us.