Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
I think the old clay bar is obsolete. The Nano Skin towel and sponges are really easy to use.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #16
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I think the old clay bar is obsolete. The Nano Skin towel and sponges are really easy to use.
I doubt the claybar will ever be obsolete. They're cheap and easily available at any Walmart, Target, or auto parts store. I do like that you get much better feedback from claybar, in that you can actually see what you're taking off vs speedy prep.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #17
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I doubt the claybar will ever be obsolete. They're cheap and easily available at any Walmart, Target, or auto parts store. I do like that you get much better feedback from claybar, in that you can actually see what you're taking off vs speedy prep.
I totally agree with this after using the speedy prep towel a couple of times. With the towel being so dark, you can not see it grab onto any particles as opposed to the lighter colored clay bar. This is my only beef with the towel though, as it makes quicker work than the clay bar.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Claying is not for amateurs, as mentioned, you damaged (scratched) your paint with contaminants embedded into the clay. Seek professional help.....your welcome!
Lol I let my 5year old help clay, there's nothing difficult or pro about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
OP, Looks like its time for some M205..
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
There's way more feedback with the towel. Its just more auditory and tactile than visual.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
There's way more feedback with the towel. Its just more auditory and tactile than visual.
I'm not talking about feel feedback. I can feel my CG claybrick picking up particles and can feel the smooth surface. It's the looking at the clay and SEEING what's being picked up, that is missing. We're guys, visual is 95% of what we do.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
You can spend a couple hunnert $$ for tools and materials and learn to polish yerself, or pay a couple hunnert $$ to a professional to do it for you.
If you go the first route, it will be a long and arduous process with a learning curve, the many outstanding instructional vids on youtube notwithstanding, and you may have acquired a new hobby.
If you go the second route, you will have a well done job with minimal fuss and less stress and backaches. Learning how to maintain the freshly polished car is paramount, as is finding a good and reputable detailer.

Been there, done that on both counts. I now favor professional craftsmanship.

Last edited by RiCorvette; 08-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
I'm not talking about feel feedback. I can feel my CG claybrick picking up particles and can feel the smooth surface. It's the looking at the clay and SEEING what's being picked up, that is missing. We're guys, visual is 95% of what we do.
Polishing must be a bitch for you. You're not able to see the clear on the pad that you're removing.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitwhitess View Post
I washed my car today and while it was still wet I used a turtle wax clay bar with spray lub they supplied. I followed the instructions and made sure the area was well sprayed . I was actually happy on how it work taking off all the contaminates from the paint. After I did the whole car I hose it down with water and dried it. That's when I notice a lot of fine and a bit heavy scratches on my paint that was not there before . Why did this happened , and how would I be able to fix it without going to a bodyshop plz help.
I am no expert, but you said you washed the car and while it was still wet you used the clay bar. I thought you should dry the car before you clay bar. You could not have finished the car before it dried. Is it possible that there was some dirt that dried on the car and you ground it into the paint with the clay bar. Like I said I am no expert, and if I am totally wrong let me know. Just my .02 worth.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #25
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I am no expert, but you said you washed the car and while it was still wet you used the clay bar. I thought you should dry the car before you clay bar. You could not have finished the car before it dried. Is it possible that there was some dirt that dried on the car and you ground it into the paint with the clay bar. Like I said I am no expert, and if I am totally wrong let me know. Just my .02 worth.
Some people clay the car while still wet. It's a technique, personally I am not a fan I dry the car, then clay, dry again then continue on.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #26
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Did you drop the clay bar on the ground.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #27
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Polishing must be a bitch for you. You're not able to see the clear on the pad that you're removing.
But there's not a option for a pad that will. I can definitely see the difference from panel to panel though.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)