Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 AM   #1
Juventus

Drives: Convertible White Camaro 2SS/RS 201
Very loud at low speed (Borla S Type)

Hello everyone,
I've been exploring this amazing forum and searching for the best exhaust for my 2014 2SS convert (Auto). After reading so many opinions and watching clips, I decided to go with Borla S Type. The reason I bought it was because I didn't want it too loud but still wanted better sound than the stock.
I had the system installed today and loved the start up sound, but once I started driving the car it was so LOUD at low speed (I mean LOW from 10-40 KM/H basically taking off at very low speed and lowest possible RPM to get the car moving). I guess it's what's called DRONE (very annoying loud buzzing). I know LOUD is different from one person to another. But this is really loud considering the speed. I want to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong with the system or the installation. I bought the Range AFM disabler (which I don't think is working since I can't feel the difference in driving).
Please if anyone had the same experience or know anything about this HELP!! as I don't want to get rid of the system but I want to be able to drive the car at least in low speeds or RPM.
Juventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #2
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
Theres no drone with the S type that I have until you put it in 6th and are between 72 and 82 mph... in a manual at least.

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
k818mn1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS, Garnet Red
I had the S-type and it wasn't loud at low rpm, it only got a bit louder than stock with large throttle openings. Appears to me that yours wasn't installed correctly.
k818mn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
The buzzing from AFM will cause a drone like sound at lower speeds (you will get that with any setup, without Jpipes and no tune). But that should go away with the Range hooked up.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
MaNiaK

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS RS
No drone or buzzing at all with my Borla S Type.
MaNiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Mine has a drone at between 1800-2200 RPM no matter what gear I'm in. I just try not to stay in that range too much. It will sound a little after a few hundred miles.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
J-pipes = drone Murderer.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
get everything double checked, including sending in the Range device for a possible update. the Borla S is not suppose to be THAT loud.

good luck.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Dynamat or sound deaden the trunk... If you pull up that carpet and look you will see nothing but bare metal to help amplify that sound into the car
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I don't get it. I have no mufflers (but do have a J pipe) and mine is barely louder than stock until I really get on it. Does the Borla S type exhaust include high flow cats? Or is it just an axleback?

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Very loud at low speed (Borla S Type)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Does the Borla S type exhaust include high flow cats? Or is it just an axleback?

J
Borla sells cat-back or axle-back. No cats if you buy the cat-back version.

OP, are you 100% sure you have the S type and not the Atak? I'm asking did you receive the right mufflers. They look the same. And you checked every joint to make sure there are no leaks?

I put on a cat-back system with the stock manifolds then later long tubes with cats. I would not call either loud except with your foot in it. The drone I have is around the RPM range mentioned above, peaks at 75 with LTs. With the stock manifolds it peaked at 70 MPH. Drone is annoying but to me doesn't sound like a loud exhaust note. Without a recording it's hard to judge what yours sounds like, good or bad.

I don't have the auto so no experience with AFM. Does it get better when you are in a higher RPM range that AFM can't kick in?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
Juventus

I love the sound when in higher RPM, it's what it should sound like. I am not really an expert so I wouldn't be able to locate the problem. I guess I will have to deal with RANGE first to make sure its working and I will have to take it in for second opinions. I just wanted to make sure this is not normal for an S type CATBack.
by the way, how can I tell if its an S type or ATAK?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus View Post
by the way, how can I tell if its an S type or ATAK?
I know on the s-type mufflers there are no stamping or labels to indicate what type. I've seen pictures of the Atak mufflers and they look exactly like mine. So you can only hope what was sent to you is right. Maybe call Borla. They helped me replace one of my mufflers after an accident.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
Juventus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I know on the s-type mufflers there are no stamping or labels to indicate what type. I've seen pictures of the Atak mufflers and they look exactly like mine. So you can only hope what was sent to you is right. Maybe call Borla. They helped me replace one of my mufflers after an accident.
So is it normal to have drones at low speeds? or is it totally related to the RPM? excuse my lack of knowledge
it seems worse between 1600-2000 RPM which is what most people are saying here.