Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Scuba, where did you find information about Good Year stating the tires can not be in conditions under 40 degrees? I am planing on garaging my 1LE all winter in Michigan but my garage is not heated. I was going to put it on jack stands but now I might consider taking the tire/rims off and storing them in my basement (mancave).

However, I must admit I am a bit sceptical that GM would allow tires on a car that could crack in 40 deg weather when cars are being built and shipped in Canada during the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo7 View Post
It's on the Zl1 site.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187045
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Cooley

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Dueclaws

Drives: '14 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Man I wish there were more Camaro enthusiasts in Hawaii. The 1LE would be perfect here year round. We just need a race track.
+1

Are you in Oahu?
Dueclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Wow, I had heard about issues with loss of traction etc with these tires under 40 degrees, and have had high performance summer tires on my cars for years. I've never been aware of any cracking issues. That picture on that bulletin is pretty alarming. My car will most likely (hopefully) be delivered sometime in jan or feb, and it raises questions about the dealership doing their mechanical drive test, etc.
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Soulrÿche

Drives: 2lt Camaro
Hi all ! so any decent tires for a non track use? recommended tires? i'll probably try to ebay them when i first get them. just wondering what a decent replacement might be.

(i am so getting a 1le package. i told her and waited for it... she smiled. )

thanks!
Soulrÿche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #20
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
I can't see the tires having a problem if one uses better judgement in the cold.

I'd like to know the truth as to how those tires cracked like that....I'm sure it would go a little something like this:

"I was just pooting along at 45mph in my zl1, because that's what zl1 owners do, and they just all cracked!!! I swear!!!" ...

In my eyes if I REALLY can't drive 400 dollar a pop tires because of cold, then they simply arent worth the money...and this is not to forget they sure dont last very long in the summer either, even if you're the human equivalent of veal behind the wheel.

I love the 1le car and I really want to order it soon. But this tire story may ruin it for me and make me order a 2ss and get it right on my own. Chevy should offer an ASR alternative even if it isnt as good on a track.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
A member here took delivery in Detroit and he reports after driving them in weather between 31 and 37 degrees he has seen no problems so far. Not sure how cold people are trying to push these tires, but seems another vehicle should be chosen is thats the case.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
That member was me. I have 750 miles on the car now and again, drove mostly in cold weather without issues. However, my attached garage is in the 40s when it is really cold outside, and i let them warm up a bit before i push the car a little. A week ago I drove in 28F and there were small snow flakes droppin! Lol, i was a bit nervous.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
That member was me. I have 750 miles on the car now and again, drove mostly in cold weather without issues. However, my attached garage is in the 40s when it is really cold outside, and i let them warm up a bit before i push the car a little. A week ago I drove in 28F and there were small snow flakes droppin! Lol, i was a bit nervous.
I'd be nervous too if I saw a picture of tires I have on my car cracked from being 10 degrees warmer...even if I'm not sure I buy it. ha!
I dont blame you.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
bpdcop100

Drives: 2013 1LE,
I have had the 1LE for 19 days, with 1300 miles on it. This morning it was 31 degrees out. As I pulled out of steet onto the main highway the rear tires broke loose under normal acceration. This is my 4th gen 5 camaro all stick shifts. Non had this problem with the P Zero tires. I went to my grandsons saturay class and the car sat for about 1 hour. When I left there I was on an incline and the outside timp was 36. The car spun the tire and would not move from the hill even when the traction control kicked in. I driven on the street with Michelin cups with better cold traction.
bpdcop100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
so i think i found the best source out there for tires. good old wally world has the best prices ive seen n the net so far.
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
for ideas on all season tires and deals on tires.
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote