Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #99
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #100
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
woooowww.......

This car better be at C5fest2
Actually, I'm sure all the California people here, would love to see it in person before you take it to Florida with you.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #101
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Now that the decision was made to push the engine output a little higher, we went on the prowl for fuel system upgrades and alternative. Originally we would have gone with one of the dual pump systems that a few of the Camaro 5 vendors have but as with the engine itself, as it morphed, its fuel needs did too.

This fuel system is a true dual fuel system we call "Octane On Demand". Basically, the SST engine is outfitted with 16 injectors. It is two completely separate 8 injector systems controlled by a very sophisticated engine computer. We will determine the exact injector sizing during the dyno testing but they will more than likely be 83 lbs/hr or 65 lbs/hr or a mix of the two.

How it works:

1. When the engine is in low load mode (i.e. unboosted/high vacuum mode) it will utilize the primary fuel pump which normally runs 93 octane pump gas and the engine computer tells the electronic fuel pump controller to reduce pump voltage to slow the fuel flow and keep it from unnecessary fuel heating while simultaneously unloading the pump.

2. When the engine is in medium load mode (i.e. low vacuum/low boost) the engine computer tells the electronic pump controller to kick the primary pump to full voltage.

3. When the engine is in high load mode/high boost the engine computer commands both primary and secondary pump to full output. The secondary pump is actually a higher capacity pump than the primary. The secondary pump also pumps strictly C-16 race fuel.

The driver does not feel any of this occur. This is completely automatic and 100% streetable. It also allows for some pretty spirited driving on standing miles, road courses or open highway races (i.e. Silver State Classic in Nevada) without touching the car.

[Note: For max effort drag race runs, the primary fuel cell can also be filled with C-23 race fuel and a full boost map can be quickly loaded into the engine computer.]

Here are the pics of the Octane On Demand system:
First Pic - Spare Tire/Stock Battery Location - Great low and rear location for fuel cells
Second Pic - Here are the fuel cells built to fit directly into spare tire well
Third Pic - Pic of dual fabricated fuel cells - primary 18 gallons, secondary 16 gallons
Fourth Pic - Note the baffled pickup area and that the pickup is actually a replaceable 100 micron fuel filter.
Fifth Pic - Primary fuel pump - Aeromotive A1000
Sixth Pic - Secondary fuel pump - Aeromotive A11104 Eliminator
Seventh Pic - The fuel cells installed
Eight Pic - Completed fuel cell install
Ninth Pic - Fabricated fuel fill lines and vent line for each cell
Tenth Pic - A nice touch. Top nozzle - 93 octane pump gas, Bottom nozzle - C-16 Race Fuel. The request was if possible it would be a very clean installation if they could fit both fill nozzles behind the factory gas lid. They did get it to fit. Again, impeccable workmanship - keeps it stock looking.
Attached Images

Last edited by speedster; 11-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #102
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post
omg! I'm going to learn so much on this thread!!! sooo purty!!!
Anything that will help Camaro 5 Members is a bonus !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
OMG! That is amazing! speedster, thanks for sharing all these cool images as your car progresses. This car is going to stand head and shoulders above all the others. I hope you can get some video for us when it is up and running!
There will be some videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Bruce all I can say is SHAZZZAAMMM. Complete eye candy. Absolutley looks awesome. I cant wait til you get this done and see this car in person. Keep the pics coming.
Gettin' closer everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
That intake is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest of it... Installed... Running
Nice keywords - installed & running

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER BULLITT View Post
wow i like
Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
woooowww.......

This car better be at C5fest2
Actually, I'm sure all the California people here, would love to see it in person before you take it to Florida with you.
After the engine is installed, I have to drive it around under varying conditions for a few days to get all of the part throttle maps done. Tom (Nelson) sits in the passenger seat and we just drive 'n tune. I have a couple of California C5 members going to ride around during this. It'd be fun to cruise with you guys while it is still out there. It would be an honor.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #103
racrx451

Drives: 2010 white SS
wow! speechless....
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #104
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
After the engine is installed, I have to drive it around under varying conditions for a few days to get all of the part throttle maps done. Tom (Nelson) sits in the passenger seat and we just drive 'n tune. I have a couple of California C5 members going to ride around during this. It'd be fun to cruise with you guys while it is still out there. It would be an honor.
Let us know ahead of time when the best day for you is and we'll set something up.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #105
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Speedster's car scares me...

It reminds me that there will always be a faster car...HIS!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #106
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I've seen some awesome builds over the years, even got to take part in more than a few... But THIS is some off the charts stuff! Thanks for sharing

Just your aluminum welding bill would put me in the poor house
Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #107
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Dude...thats intense! can't wait to see it!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #108
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
I am subscribing as this is an incredable build.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #109
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racrx451 View Post
wow! speechless....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Let us know ahead of time when the best day for you is and we'll set something up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I've seen some awesome builds over the years, even got to take part in more than a few... But THIS is some off the charts stuff! Thanks for sharing

Just your aluminum welding bill would put me in the poor house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Dude...thats intense! can't wait to see it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
I am subscribing as this is an incredable build.
Thanks everyone. We wanted to push the envelope of a true dual purpose car by keeping it looking and acting like a stock 5th gen Camaro, but allowing for some high performance characteristics.

Once the windows are tinted and when it has the stock rims on you really can't tell anything was done to the SST. Very minor outside cues. The only really noticeable change will be the hood because with the turbos heat extraction becomes very important.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #110
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Bruce and I have had lunch a couple time and discussed this build....

Hearing Bruce talk about the car and trying to process the level of effort that goes into a build like this from just listening to him.... It didn't really click..

I mean, you hear him say things like 1400+ HP.. 16 injectors.... one off intake... On demand fuel systems..... And you instantly know this car is something special...

But, OMG.... Seeing it in pictures..... Holy crap man... I've been around cars/show cars/race cars my whole life.... And been around some people with more money than sense who just throw money at a project and call it done...(Speedster is NOT one of them) And I've never seen something like this EVER! There is no piece, system or component in this build that hasn't been thought through.... (two fuel filler ports!!!!!!! )

I can"t Wait to see this thing in person....

Can't wait to see more....

We will not likely see another car with near stock drive-ability merged with this kind of extreme bullet proof performance....

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #111
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

Hearing Bruce talk about the car and trying to process the level of effort that goes into a build like this from just listening to him.... It didn't really click..

I mean, you hear him say things like 1400+ HP.. 16 injectors.... one off intake... On demand fuel systems..... And you instantly know this car is something special...

But, OMG.... Seeing it in pictures..... Holy crap man... I've been around cars/show cars/race cars my whole life.... And been around some people with more money than sense who just throw money at a project and call it done...(Speedster is NOT one of them) And I've never seen something like this EVER! There is no piece, system or component in this build that hasn't been thought through.... (two fuel filler ports!!!!!!! )

We will not likely see another car with near stock drive-ability merged with this kind of extreme bullet proof performance....

Wow, Thanks for the kind words Chris... I'm speechless.

There are a million different ways to make the Camaro your own and this is just one of many. I just hope that when it all comes together it gives other C5 members some ideas that they too can push the envelope a little with their Camaro.

I am just looking forward to when a bunch of us can go cruising together , then go to a racetrack and let it all hang out - and have some fun with other makes and models of cars...

So...when are you going to get those gauges ??
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #112
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

RIGHT?! I don't think he'll have to worry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

I don't think words describe exactly what this car is going to be. I know I wouldn't be able to wrap my head around it

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Wow, Thanks for the kind words Chris... I'm speechless.

There are a million different ways to make the Camaro your own and this is just one of many. I just hope that when it all comes together it gives other C5 members some ideas that they too can push the envelope a little with their Camaro.

I am just looking forward to when a bunch of us can go cruising together , then go to a racetrack and let it all hang out - and have some fun with other makes and models of cars...

So...when are you going to get those gauges ??
Hopefully I can find a way to get to where you're going to be.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo