Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Test driving/ renting a Camaro for the young

I have been lucky enough to test drive a Camaro once since I have been interested in them.. When I test drove it.. It was only for a short 10 minutes.. Which was cool, but when you get a little taste.. You want a whole buffet! So... It's very very tough to be able to test drive this amazing car if you are young.. Especially if you are 19.. I've tried dealers and I've tried a few rental companies to allow me to drive the car for an extended period of time so I'll know exactly how it drives and how it fits me (since I am 6' 4"). Does anybody out there know of any tips and tricks on how to get around this? I know there are some young Camaro owners on this wonderful site. How did you all get test drives? Also did anybody try renting the car first before buying it? I figured that would be a good idea, but for some idiotic reason (this is what some rental companies are saying to me) you have to be 25 years old to rent a Camaro.. Dumb right?!? Some help please!!!!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
im 16 so i wasnt allowed to test drive it, i just bought it lol. there are some guys on here that are 6ft 9 and fit well in the camaro. Can u try dif dealers to test drive?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Unfortunatley alot of places aren't going to let you have free run at a Camaro just because of your age. I know not all people your age drive like asses but I know how myself and my friends were at that age and I gotta say I can't blame them for having that "rule". Good luck though....
ss=scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
ComayroLouver
{Enter Funny User Title}

Drives: Fathers '85 CJ-7 until i get my LS
Send a message via AIM to ComayroLouver
Good luck man!!!!
ComayroLouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
ComayroLouver
{Enter Funny User Title}

Drives: Fathers '85 CJ-7 until i get my LS
Send a message via AIM to ComayroLouver
wait where in Fl u from???? (@ SS SCUBA STEVE)
ComayroLouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Damn, camaroitalia. I've actually seen you on the site before but never noticed you were from B-more. Small world, I used to hang at the inner harbor alot. Spent some time in my 20's at the power plant on the weekends.... cheers !
ss=scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Just have them send a salesperson out with you on the test drive and go free rain on it. I was 21 when I took mine on a test drive and I drove her a good 30 miles with a mixture of freeway and street driving as well as hard braking and wide open throttle (empty roads of course). Find a good dealer and they'll take care of you.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
It's unlikely that you'll find someone to give you one of those "extended" test drives. They don't want a lot of miles on these cars, so they can still charge premium prices. Your best bet would be to find a lot with a used car, or at best one of the close out 2010's.

I did rent a Camaro before buying for two reasons:

1) Test drives were not even available at all when I ordered my car in May 2009.
2) I wanted to drive it overnight so I could really get a feel for the way the car drives. I have the opposite problem...I'm 5'3" so I wanted to make sure I could see out of this car, and not go around bumping into stuff. Of course I found out that it fit like a glove...LOL

Most rental car companies won't rent any car to you if you're under 25, not just the Camaro. I don't really have any good advice on the rental car angle.
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
My dealer wouldn't let me drive an unsold SS. I had my car on order with a deposit down. Most of these dealers don't want any miles on the cars!

Have your parents rent the Camaro for you!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
I have been lucky enough to test drive a Camaro once since I have been interested in them.. When I test drove it.. It was only for a short 10 minutes.. Which was cool, but when you get a little taste.. You want a whole buffet! So... It's very very tough to be able to test drive this amazing car if you are young.. Especially if you are 19.. I've tried dealers and I've tried a few rental companies to allow me to drive the car for an extended period of time so I'll know exactly how it drives and how it fits me (since I am 6' 4"). Does anybody out there know of any tips and tricks on how to get around this? I know there are some young Camaro owners on this wonderful site. How did you all get test drives? Also did anybody try renting the car first before buying it? I figured that would be a good idea, but for some idiotic reason (this is what some rental companies are saying to me) you have to be 25 years old to rent a Camaro.. Dumb right?!? Some help please!!!!
You might have better luck with a used one,
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
At our dealer here they actually had a demo Camaro with the sole purpose of allowing extended test drives without the miles racking up on their inventory Camaros.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA CHEVY View Post
At our dealer here they actually had a demo Camaro with the sole purpose of allowing extended test drives without the miles racking up on their inventory Camaros.
I wish every dealer did that! I am calling the several rental services today. I will let you know of my progress. Wish me luck!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
camaroGOODMAN

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM L99
i rented a camaro for two weeks before i purchased and my girlfriend is a manager at enterprise. you cannot rent any car if you are under the age of 25 but someone else (your parents or a family member perhaps) can rent it and add you as an additional driver.

renting it first would be your best move, by the time my two weeks was up (i went on vacation and drove it down to myrtle beach), i didnt even want to test drive the car when i got to the dealership. i declined and the salesman was speechless lol, the main reason why i test drove cars that day was to decide between three different colors... i was already sold on the RS package.

dont let them discourage you, good luck.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Momba_Maro View Post
i rented a camaro for two weeks before i purchased and my girlfriend is a manager at enterprise. you cannot rent any car if you are under the age of 25 but someone else (your parents or a family member perhaps) can rent it and add you as an additional driver.

renting it first would be your best move, by the time my two weeks was up (i went on vacation and drove it down to myrtle beach), i didnt even want to test drive the car when i got to the dealership. i declined and the salesman was speechless lol, the main reason why i test drove cars that day was to decide between three different colors... i was already sold on the RS package.

dont let them discourage you, good luck.
This helps out a lot! I was hoping to get it from Enterprise anyways. They are a wonderful service! The only negative about going to the Enterprise by my house is.... It's in the back of a ford dealership (Notice I didn't capitalize ford because it's not important ).. Oh well.. When I drive it out.. All the mustangs will bow to me!