Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I've lurked on this, did the car just DIE w/o warning?? If so I'd hate to have that happen at freeway speeds or in a turn. And I hope it was just "your" cable that was "mis-routed" and not a design flaw. That would most likely spell our first RECALL.
I doubt it is a design flaw because they would have had CTF dropping like flies. More Likely human error.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Bumleb

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
I will ask for the old parts. Evidence right.... I asked the service advisor what the life of the battery should be. He said 4 years. So I said, if it goes bad in a year, it's covered, right. With this happening, speculations are that the life of the battery is compromised.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Ah, sounds like when my 69 Camaro rear starter bracket came loose shorted right on the terminal... the main issue then was being in the middle of the desert between Kingman and Phoenix at 3am! that problem took 20 minutes to repair and the battery was fine.
________
Bbw japanese

Last edited by superstockcam; 04-19-2011 at 02:38 AM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
I will ask for the old parts. Evidence right.... I asked the service advisor what the life of the battery should be. He said 4 years. So I said, if it goes bad in a year, it's covered, right. With this happening, speculations are that the life of the battery is compromised.
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Eighty-Six Z
2G1FK1EJ0A9109635

Drives: '10 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Glad to hear that is was an easy fix. Thanks for sharing the info with everyone here. I know I will be checking out my car for this potential problem once it arrives.

Thanks and I hope you hang out here with the rest of us now that you found us.
4/28 -3300
5/11 - 3400
5/13 - 3800 VIN #9635
6/16- Arrived & Delivered!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrigan View Post

I don't think I have ever had this much fun in a car...by myself.
Eighty-Six Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
I'm interested to see how long the battery will last now that it's not subject to the heat from the engine compartment.

Sounds like a new TSB maybe? Glad to hear it was a minor problem that can be fixed easily.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Had my balt since may 2005, its been through two years of buffalo winters and two years of phoenix heat, so far no problems with the stocker, still going strong and putting out good volts.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:

That's interesting - I've had great luck with Delco batteries and always use them as replacements. And I live in MA.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
z06invb

Drives: 2001 Chevy Corvette Z06
You havent lived until you have had your Delco battery leak all over the electronics on your C 5 Vette. When you own one it is one of the first things you look for. I was lucky mine did not leak but the negative terminal fell out of the battery. My friend was not as lucky.

Hopefully your Camaros wont have something like our Column Lock screw up. The final fix from GM never worked except to remove the lock. So now all you have to do with most C 5's is tie a rope to it get in and tow her away.
z06invb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #24
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:

I bought my 04 silverado new and the original battery went 118K before it didn't start one 2 degree morning.

MY 95 Camaro's delco battery went 98K and my 00 Blazer went 95K.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
Had my balt since may 2005, its been through two years of buffalo winters and two years of phoenix heat, so far no problems with the stocker, still going strong and putting out good volts.
There's a difference between starting a 2.0L v4 Cobalt and a 8.1L Big Block V8 that sits in my avalanche. GM only drops a 600 CCA battery which is the same battery they use with the 5.3L V8's that are in 1500 Suburbans, tahoes, avy's, etc. I'm sure the stock battery's are fine when they have to turn over smaller engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
That's interesting - I've had great luck with Delco batteries and always use them as replacements. And I live in MA.
No such luck here. I had the same thing that happened to z06invb happen to me in my 02 suburban. Battery leaked acid, we saw new stains on the garage floor but didn't think anything of it. Dad goes to start the car one day to come home from work and nothing happens. Everything dies, power locks, etc. When we went to remove the battery, terminals fell out, acid went everywhere. F'd battery tray - had to get a new one. (luckily that's all it damaged) Dropped in an optima - car started better, maintained voltage better, lights were brighter, etc. Great purchase and the battery still runs strong to this day.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Thanks for the update. Glad its an easy fix.. Hope you get back on the road soon.
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #27
HooliganZ

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
I had something similar happen with the stock battery in my 02 Z28. Negative terminal fell out, and the battery leaked. Luckily the resulting corrosion was isolated to the battery tray itself. I replaced it with an Optima red top and never looked back.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Sounds plausible. It would take significant heat I think from the starter. 40 miles?

Good to see your car will be good soon. I'll be looking at this on mine. Camaro5 rocks.