Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
HPDE Summit Point and VIR

Wondering if anyone would be interest in joining me this fall for some fun at the track for an HPDE course. For those that are not familiar, HPDE stands for High Performance Driving Event or Education. It's a mixture of classroom time and track time with an instructor. This is great for anyone at any level.

I went last year for the fall finale and had a blast. What an exhilarating experience. I was the only camaro there though. It would be fun to gather up a handful of C5ers and cruise up and share some great experiences.

Your car doesn't not need to be modified to do HPDE. It's a great chance to really pick up some valuable lessons and key skills to help give you confidence in driving and in your car. Also, its a chance to really push the car and have some fun!

I know this post is early, but after all the summer shows I. Going to be hitting up HPDE at VIR's Octoberfest (Oct 11th - 13th) and then the Fall Finale HPDE at Summit Pointe. (Nov 3-4).

There is a chance I'd do the Summer Breeze event at Summit Pointe as well (Aug 17-18) but not sure yet.

Here is a link to the HPDE through NASA, they run a really great program.

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=88
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeko View Post
It would be fun to gather up a handful of C5ers and cruise up and share some great experiences.

Your car doesn't not need to be modified to do HPDE. It's a great chance to really pick up some valuable lessons and key skills to help give you confidence in driving and in your car. Also, its a chance to really push the car and have some fun!

I know this post is early, but after all the summer shows I. Going to be hitting up HPDE at VIR's Octoberfest (Oct 11th - 13th) and then the Fall Finale HPDE at Summit Pointe. (Nov 3-4).

There is a chance I'd do the Summer Breeze event at Summit Pointe as well (Aug 17-18) but not sure yet.

Here is a link to the HPDE through NASA, they run a really great program.

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=88
I will be at Summit Point a few times this year and at VIR a few times. I have the Oct 11-13 date and the Nov 3-4 dates on my calendar already, though I have not yet registered. Should be a blast.

If I can get my car reassembled in time, I am scheduled to go to FATT at Summit Point on March 8th. One day event, at the SP main circuit. Should be a blast. So, I'm in! If you are thinking of any earlier events let me know, I'll coordinate on other stuff I am hoping to do.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
I will be at Summit Point a few times this year and at VIR a few times. I have the Oct 11-13 date and the Nov 3-4 dates on my calendar already, though I have not yet registered. Should be a blast.

If I can get my car reassembled in time, I am scheduled to go to FATT at Summit Point on March 8th. One day event, at the SP main circuit. Should be a blast. So, I'm in! If you are thinking of any earlier events let me know, I'll coordinate on other stuff I am hoping to do.
I would be interested. Car is under the knife and will be pushing alot more horespower in about 30 days.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post

Sounds good, I'm not registered yet either, going to wait until early spring, just to make sure everything is in the clear. I'll let you know if I decide to hit up any others. I'm actually trying to find a course where I can get some skid pad time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
I would be interested. Car is under the knife and will be pushing alot more horespower in about 30 days.
Sounds good. Will be fun to run some of these with other Camaro Owners and share notes.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Hey guys, I am an instructor at Summit Point and help organize FATT, our in-house HPDE that Sssoon attended (I gave the classroom and walked the line checking car and drivers). I will attach the link to our FATT website as it has all the dates for our program this year. We also have a Twilight at the Track that we do in the summer months that was a great time last year. We can accommodate 12 cars at Twilight and it runs from 5-8 or a little later depending on start time. It is less formal than FATT, our classroom is intro to instructor in the lot and off you go! Most get more track time at Twilight than at a FATT for similar price.

http://www.summitpointfatt.com

You can also follow or like us on Facebook, as I keep that updated with upcoming events and specials.

https://www.facebook.com/summitpoint

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Tribute

Thanks for the info! I might need to try this out. I love that it includes skid pad time and in your training cars. I'm going to review the link more and post questioni may have here so that the others can see both Q and A.

The rest of you please through up some questions as well!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
I am also interested. I have another visit to SLP scheduled but would like to consider this adventure. I recently participated in a Hook on Driving experience at Daytona International Speedway........this should be a blast!
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWM View Post
I am also interested. I have another visit to SLP scheduled but would like to consider this adventure. I recently participated in a Hook on Driving experience at Daytona International Speedway........this should be a blast!
Awesome! I'm liking the idea of FATT. I'd like to compare it to my NASA HPDE experiences. When is your car going to be done? I'm going to plan to take a Friday off and give this a go. I read their site last and it seems like a great program.

Would be fun LWM!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
With the weight and horsepower of the modern muscle car, I highly recommend that anyone considering an HPDE of any sort first change the brake fluid to a quality high temp performance fluid like Motul 600 or ATE Super Blue or equivalent. Also a set of performance track or autocross type of brake pad. Check with others who have tracked their car to see what is working for them. The stock fluid and pads are just not up to the job on a track for extended abuse.

I discourage people from adding horsepower and suspension mods before tracking a car. Get to know the vehicle as is, work on your own consistency before you make a change. Making a change to anything other than the brakes will not improve YOU as a driver. You won't know if you are any faster because you improved if you change things before you are consistent in hitting your marks, and you may find nothing needs changing to kick some high end sport car butt!

Just as a point to consider, my Boss 302 is bone stock except for the changes I suggest above, and it does great!

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
With the weight and horsepower of the modern muscle car, I highly recommend that anyone considering an HPDE of any sort first change the brake fluid to a quality high temp performance fluid like Motul 600 or ATE Super Blue or equivalent. Also a set of performance track or autocross type of brake pad. Check with others who have tracked their car to see what is working for them. The stock fluid and pads are just not up to the job on a track for extended abuse.

I discourage people from adding horsepower and suspension mods before tracking a car. Get to know the vehicle as is, work on your own consistency before you make a change. Making a change to anything other than the brakes will not improve YOU as a driver. You won't know if you are any faster because you improved if you change things before you are consistent in hitting your marks, and you may find nothing needs changing to kick some high end sport car butt!

Just as a point to consider, my Boss 302 is bone stock except for the changes I suggest above, and it does great!
Great post and words of wisdom! 100% agree! A guy on the ZL1 forum argued with me about swapping to ATE super blue brake fluid because it "wasn't necessary". Yeah, his argument was the factory fluid was fine and I made the comment about factory fluid not being special at all. Brakes are key to confidence and consistency at a road course!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Tribute

Agreed, all great advice. I'm running DOT5 Brake fluid to handle the high temps as well.

Lost Pony - you might see a small handful of us C5ers there at FATT. What's your first name, so we can say hi and introduce ourselves.

I'm going to come up one of the main circuit days. I need more time on that course. Also, I really look forward to some skid pad time!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeko View Post
Agreed, all great advice. I'm running DOT5 Brake fluid to handle the high temps as well.

Lost Pony - you might see a small handful of us C5ers there at FATT. What's your first name, so we can say hi and introduce ourselves.

I'm going to come up one of the main circuit days. I need more time on that course. Also, I really look forward to some skid pad time!
Not to be a downer but DOT 5 is a no no for our brake systems...stick with a DOT3/DOT4
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231380
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Not to be a downer but DOT 5 is a no no for our brake systems...stick with a DOT3/DOT4
No worries, not a downer, I appreciate the note! I saw your posts about VIR and using ATE Blue.

Last edited by Tribute; 03-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote