Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I am sorry I forgot the most important item, Thank you for your service to our country.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Fentito5thgen
Sombra

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel Gray 2SS
Thank you all for your advices.
Keep them coming.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #17
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
First of all, thank you for your service.

Secondly, unless there is a special attachment to this car, the easiest and probably cheapest solution is ro sell it and by another upon return. You would be able to get either a really good deal on a used 5th Gen or maybe even buy a new 6th Gen.
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Storing Camaro for two years due to military orders, How to do it properly? H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Try to store it with no weight on the suspension so the springs can stay relaxed.

Bad advise. The shocks aren't designed to be hung. The springs are designed to hold the weight of the car.

Don't drive it, don't cover it. If it's going to be stored for 2 years, let it be stored for 2 years.

1 thing I forgot, a nice coat of was or preferably sealant for the paint.

Cold starts are hardest on a engine. Why subject a engine to cold starts for no reason? Don't let anyone drive it, just let it be.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
RenoSyn

Drives: Feet
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I would add some fuel stabilizer, battery tender, and if you have rodents, some steel wool in the exhaust pipes should keep them out of the exhaust. Most of all, stay safe! Godspeed!
RenoSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #20
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
You could just leave it with me and I will take care of it for ya!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #21
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
If I had to leave it outside, I would sell it. If you can put it a garage or storage room is what I would do. I know it's expensive, but keeping it out of the weather is the key (to me). Like others have said, a full tank of fuel (non-ethanol) with stabile or seafoam. I would roll up the windows and disconnect the battery and let it be. I wouldn't take the battery out, at worst you may have to jump it off when you get back. You may also be able to do a non-use affidavit and drop collision from your insurance to save money, too. As far as tires go, I would put a piece of plywood under neath them. Some say the tires will absorb moisture/oil from the cement over time and prematurely weaken the compounds. How true it is, who knows, but two years is a long time and its cheap.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
BGKySS

Drives: Cyber Grey 2010 2SS RS
Sell it.

For the next two years you would be dumping money into a losing investment that you cannot enjoy. Especially with the 6th gen probably coming out while you are gone. Yes 98% of cars are that, but for the most part it can be justified by the fact we enjoy them regularly.

Sell the car for whatever, and take the monthly payment that you would of been paying plus whatever storage fees you would have and stick it in a savings account. When you get back buy another car. By then you could buy a matching car for less money and pocket the difference or throw it into mods that you could do with your son.

Plus look at it like this, this is saving you now from the eventual headache of having to hear that the front lip was ripped off in a parking lot.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 AM   #23
oustaz

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKySS View Post
Sell it.

For the next two years you would be dumping money into a losing investment that you cannot enjoy. Especially with the 6th gen probably coming out while you are gone. Yes 98% of cars are that, but for the most part it can be justified by the fact we enjoy them regularly.

Sell the car for whatever, and take the monthly payment that you would of been paying plus whatever storage fees you would have and stick it in a savings account. When you get back buy another car. By then you could buy a matching car for less money and pocket the difference or throw it into mods that you could do with your son.

Plus look at it like this, this is saving you now from the eventual headache of having to hear that the front lip was ripped off in a parking lot.
This! ^
oustaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #24
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
It comes down to your attachment to it. If it means that much to you to hang on to, then you have gotten some good advise here. Full tank, Stabilizer, battery tender, tires 5 over, cover, and if outside steel wool in the exhaust and dryer sheets inside with moister control. If in a controlled environment, then the last things may not be necessary.
Otherwise, sell it, it makes financial sense to do this.

Thanks for your service, I wish I could shake your hand.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #25
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
That stinks no advice for you but thanks for your service, Semper Fi
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
Fentito5thgen
Sombra

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel Gray 2SS
Thank you all for all the advices. That is the number 1 reason I like this forum so much.

I came to the decision of selling it. I will save the money of the payments and get me a used ZL1 when I return.

My son, well... he'll be ok picking up his own 2010 1LS when he graduates.

I will keep in touch for the next two years as I enjoy so much reading CAMARO5 every day.

And, If I end up with a ZL1, you will be the first ones to see the pictures.

Thank you again.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Good luck and be safe.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #28
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentito5thgen View Post
Thank you all for all the advices. That is the number 1 reason I like this forum so much.

I came to the decision of selling it. I will save the money of the payments and get me a used ZL1 when I return.

My son, well... he'll be ok picking up his own 2010 1LS when he graduates.

I will keep in touch for the next two years as I enjoy so much reading CAMARO5 every day.

And, If I end up with a ZL1, you will be the first ones to see the pictures.

Thank you again.

Good plan.

Thank you so much for your service. Look forward to hearing from you and your new ZL1!!!!
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote