Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Just blows my mind that GM has not done anything to fix this. It isn't a new issue and it affects other vehicles besides Camaros. WHY NOT MAKE A CHANGE IN THE DESIGN ?????

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Just blows my mind that GM has not done anything to fix this. It isn't a new issue and it affects other vehicles besides Camaros. WHY NOT MAKE A CHANGE IN THE DESIGN ?????

-Mark.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
@Suplex: You are so right... I thank my lucky stars I didn't hurt myself or someone Or the car for that fact.
That says it all right there, I am glad that YOU told us this story and not someone else...in your memory. This way YOU can get back to enjoying that car as soon as possible.

What a family this forum has become, can't ask for any better than that.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
mdsbuc
Love American Muscle

Drives: Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
Sorry to hear about your car...hopefully its as good as new when you get it back..I agree with what other people have mentioned...it sucks we have to worry about this stuff on brand new cars...i know some of you will defend gm till the end but c'mon...I'm a mechanic for a living (work on bmws) and some of these issues that we have with these cars are unacceptable for being close to 40k dollars. This is my second camaro and my whole family drives gm products..its just how i grew up...but seriously..I mean this isn't a 9k dollar Hyundai....okay sorry for the rant...good luck man and I'm glad they are taking care of you
Really just about all cars have some common "niggle." In fact I would guess that the less expensive the car the fewer the issues that occur. Since you work on bimmers, you know that their high pressure fuel pumps are failing miserably. With BMW the problem went on for years with no real fix. They'd just replace one bad fuel pump with another identical pump that could fail at anytime. Hopefully GM will find a better oil pump and resolve the problem for good.

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6MT Brembo Sport
mdsbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Thanks everybody.. it's funny I can't win the lottery but the Heart of my engine goes bad LOLOL
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post

-Mark.
Especially with such an important part-THE ENGINE,not like it's the a/c or something stupid like that....
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Exactly... I mean this is something I didn't odon't want to see a TSB for ya know.. NO ONE DOES
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=oil+pump

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72458
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
I know a guy with a heavily modded car and the same thing happened to him! Oil pump replaced under warranty because it is a known issue!

I even have had warranty work done on my tranny with mods, just really depends on your dealer and service dept I guess!
Mine failed...GM refused to acknowledge the issue at all and left me on my own. I expected to be responsible for any issues that were related to my modifications...but not issues related to parts with known issues.

GM never followed up with me, other than a nice person in South Asia that told me the issue was resolved from their perspective.

If you're working on your car and have the timing cover off for any reason, do yourself a favor and replace the oil pump with a quality part.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i find my self looking at my oil PSI gauge more often now lol. i wish we had a certain mile point that it can happen at or maybe a mile point when you can say you are safe for the most part.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Really just about all cars have some common "niggle." In fact I would guess that the less expensive the car the fewer the issues that occur. Since you work on bimmers, you know that their high pressure fuel pumps are failing miserably. With BMW the problem went on for years with no real fix. They'd just replace one bad fuel pump with another identical pump that could fail at anytime. Hopefully GM will find a better oil pump and resolve the problem for good.
I agree..but I will tell you that anything that breaks on a new bimmer will be covered...regardless if it has a long tubes or an intake...not something that we can say for sure about gm. These motors are not new...how many have to fail before they open there eyes? I don't want to hear that my cold air intake or longtubes caused my oil pump to fail...that's bs. Don't get me wrong..I love my car..but what the Hell is so hard about making a reliable oil pump? If you don't make anything reliable atleast make the oil pump reliable so the motor has a chance of making it past 10k miles.
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #26
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
This has been happening to V8 cars and trucks for way too long now.

Stop engine production, identify the root cause, address it with a bullet proof fix, resume production... at least that's what I'd do.

Apparently there is a powertrain engineer responsible for the oil pump that instead of fixing it a couple years ago has chosen to stick his thumb up his ass.

A round valve sticking in a bore? Gee, I wonder if the tooling is wearing out and not being maintained/quality checked often enough? A first year mechanical engineering student could probably solve this one in his dorm room.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
2SS 2011, I hope everything comes out ok and you can get back to enjoying your vehicle. Hopefully this doesn't become the trend. If you need any further assistance let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #28
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
This has been happening to V8 cars and trucks for way too long now.

Stop engine production, identify the root cause, address it with a bullet proof fix, resume production... at least that's what I'd do.

Apparently there is a powertrain engineer responsible for the oil pump that instead of fixing it a couple years ago has chosen to stick his thumb up his ass.

A round valve sticking in a bore? Gee, I wonder if the tooling is wearing out and not being maintained/quality checked often enough? A first year mechanical engineering student could probably solve this one in his dorm room.
Then just stop over at the Tech Center and tell them how to fix it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote