Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
Leaving The Top Down?

I'm so paranoid that someone is going to mess with my car when I'm out that I always put the top up when I leave the car unattended. That's a major pain in the butt as I like having the tonneau cover on when the top is down and taking that on and off is annoying.

Do other people just leave their tops down?

I know there are a lot of factors like where the car is being parked, how long your going to be gone, threatening thunder clouds, etc., but I think I'm being overly cautious.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
When I had my grandsport I would always put the top up if the car was left unattended for more than 5 minutes alot of crazy jealous people out there.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
1fastmf

Drives: SBM G8 Gt
I would be more worried about a bird taking a crap on my interior then some one messing with the car. Top up
1fastmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
10 mins or less usually leave top down

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmf View Post
I would be more worried about a bird taking a crap on my interior then some one messing with the car. Top up
Or dust or leaves or trash blowing in. Hell I wont leave a window open i hate dust.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Now see, I am the other way. If I am going in somewhere, and I know the weather is not going to be an issue, then I leave the top down, windows up, and locked. I have gone hiking for a few hours with the car this way, and have not had a problem. Of course, I probably will now that I mentioned that ;>) I am somewhat leaning towards buying one of those covers that fit the car with the convertible top down, there is a separate thread on it.. Looks kind of interesting and to the OP, it may be your answer.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353958

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
If I'm on post, I'm fairly comfortable with leaving the top down. However, when I'm making a run to the local supermarket or drug store, I'll usually put the top up.

OP: I don't think you're being overly cautious at all. There are just too many people who, for some reason, have to mess with someone else's belongings.

And, yes, definitely what NYCamOwner stated above. If leaving the top down, windows up and doors locked - always!
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 06-02-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
I use to have t tops back in the day. Always put tops on unless at store I could view my car at all times and I had alarm with motion sensor so if someone reached in it went off.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
iCandi

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS vert m6
Definitely depends on where it will be parked and for how long.

I like to leave the top down and, as mentioned above, windows are up and the doors are locked. I've never had a problem. I don't keep anything visibly laying around the interior either.

I do have one of those interior covers as well though. I like to use it if I'm going to be parked for awhile with the top down, mostly because the seats get extremely hot with the sun beating down on it.

iCandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I don't leave anything valuable in the car and usually leave the top down. I would rather something be stolen than some one damage the canvas top. That top is worth about $1K and another $1K in labor to replace. With all of the top problems, I would rather not have any work being done on the top. Mine is kind of a garage queen with only 19K miles on it and it being a 2011.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
If I am at my family's house or my house top down.
If I am in a store where I can see my car at all times yeah I'll leave the top down.
If I am in a place of buisness, or can't see the car, or am going to be more than 5 mins I will put top up.

But honestly my car is a DD and the only time I put the top down is if I'm in that mood or have girls with me. Even then they complain about their hair lol
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
I am like the op, if I have the tonneu on, I don't want to put the top up. frankly, if I am only going to be gone a half hour to an hour, I leave top down, roll windows up and lock the car. I have done this at walmart.
but a lot depends on time of day, and where you are going too.
probably at night, a person could leave it down without as much worries as being dark and a black car, it wont be as noticeable. a lot is just using common sense and know where you are taking the car.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #13
ChevyAV03

Drives: 03 Z71 AV PM; 14 Convert 2ss/rs AGM
Top down unless I know it's going to rain. There are more expensive cars that leave theirs down as well. Mine stays in a garage at home and is not a daily driver. If someone wanted to steal my car it wouldn't be hard to do being a rag top. not much protection top up or down. I never leave anything valuable in the car except the car itself.

Trunk won't open when the doors are locked and the glove box you can lock as well. So you have places to store stuff with the top down. just don't leave it in the easy to access areas.
ChevyAV03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
adamsafe

Drives: 2014 2SS Manual Vert
Put your EZPass in locked glove box

Otherwise, for 30 min or less, you should be OK. I usually top it if longer or weather unpredictable.
adamsafe is offline   Reply With Quote