Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
kyle757

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls
2012 Camaro Ls Burning excessive oil

Okay here is the lowdown. I purchased my camaro in april or may of 2012. Had 120 miles on it. I changed my oil with penzoil fully synthetic around 5000 miles.
Now last week i was driving and the check engine light started flashing, a horrible knock was coming from the engine and then the engine died. I parked the car and had it towed to the dealer i bought it from. Mind you the camaro only has just barely hit 10000 miles.

They check out the engine and say that my engine had absolutely no oil, but in fact i checked my oil a couple days before this incident and the dipstick read that it was within a normal level. The next day the call to tell me my car had 2 quarts of oil in it, and here is where the problems start. So they tell me that i need a receipt to prove i changed the oil. I told them i didnt have the receipt and the service manager told me we could have the oil analyzed to check if it was a different type of oil because what i put in it was not what they use. Next day i get a call that they're going to tear the engine apart to see what actually went wrong, and a gm rep is coming to inspect my car. GM rep inspects my car, determines that because it only had 2 quarts i must of blow a cylinder and orders the dealership not to tear apart my car, and then also says that having the oil analyzed is not sufficient enough to prove i changed the oil. So now im stuck.

Now ive seen a few posts of people having this oil problem. But burning 4 quarts of oil just seems ridiculous to me, what would be causing this. Also, what should i do about this GM rep completely shutting this whole thing down like this?
kyle757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
There are many complaints on here about the V6's consuming oil, theres a good possibility being these engines have a defect within them either with the rings or the valve seals using synthetic oil made the engine use more oil then regular conventional motor oil because its more slippery and can get through tight areas more easily in any event the engine shouldnt have used that amount of oil in that period of time, They will turn this into rat race with the oil you used to try and get out of any warranty work dont let them jerk you around, The engine had a problem from new and it lead to its demise period.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
marcajrfan

Drives: 2012 crt lt 1 rs,silver stripes
same problem with my 2012 bought April of last year 21000 miles! also 2010 same deal but check engine kept coming on.dealer said it would be 900 to fix. traded it in.next will be v-8 or new turbo in 2014
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
From my experience, with moderate to aggressive driving you will burn about a quart every 3,000 miles. Since you changed it at 5,000, and went another 5,000 it sounds like without adding oil, I'd estimate you were already down 2 quarts off the jump. It seems that the lower the oil gets the more it heats up and you burn even more. Being 2 quarts down easily puts you in the danger zone so the additional 2 quarts of burned oil probably happened from the engine failure.

Happened to me man so I know how it feels! I was only down 1-2 quarts though and I had a receipt for my oil change from a dealer. Sucks but I believe on a new car you should have the dealer handle the first 15,000 miles of oil changes to save yourself in a situation like this.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS SLP ZL427 View Post
There are many complaints on here about the V6's consuming oil, theres a good possibility being these engines have a defect within them either with the rings or the valve seals using synthetic oil made the engine use more oil then regular conventional motor oil because its more slippery and can get through tight areas more easily in any event the engine shouldnt have used that amount of oil in that period of time, They will turn this into rat race with the oil you used to try and get out of any warranty work dont let them jerk you around, The engine had a problem from new and it lead to its demise period.
You might be onto something here.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Do you have a good catchcan on it?

Here is what the pistons look like over time w/out one and the rings are not able to move freely so they cannot seal properly and it compounds the oil issue.

And what your valves look like with no can on the left, and a average can on the right:

RX can eliminates it all.

There is much more to this disscussed in other threads.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Bumping this up.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle757 View Post
Okay here is the lowdown. I purchased my camaro in april or may of 2012. Had 120 miles on it. I changed my oil with penzoil fully synthetic around 5000 miles.
Now last week i was driving and the check engine light started flashing, a horrible knock was coming from the engine and then the engine died. I parked the car and had it towed to the dealer i bought it from. Mind you the camaro only has just barely hit 10000 miles.

They check out the engine and say that my engine had absolutely no oil, but in fact i checked my oil a couple days before this incident and the dipstick read that it was within a normal level. The next day the call to tell me my car had 2 quarts of oil in it, and here is where the problems start. So they tell me that i need a receipt to prove i changed the oil. I told them i didnt have the receipt and the service manager told me we could have the oil analyzed to check if it was a different type of oil because what i put in it was not what they use. Next day i get a call that they're going to tear the engine apart to see what actually went wrong, and a gm rep is coming to inspect my car. GM rep inspects my car, determines that because it only had 2 quarts i must of blow a cylinder and orders the dealership not to tear apart my car, and then also says that having the oil analyzed is not sufficient enough to prove i changed the oil. So now im stuck.

Now ive seen a few posts of people having this oil problem. But burning 4 quarts of oil just seems ridiculous to me, what would be causing this. Also, what should i do about this GM rep completely shutting this whole thing .down like this?
Wow! I'm terribly sorry to hear about your story kyle757. We want our customer's vehicles to definitely operate as designed. There may be some options I can explore in this case. Feel free to private message me your information, such as full name, phone number, VIN number, and vehicle mileage. I'd like to investigate this situation further if possible.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Thanks William for being here to offer help.

The issue is the #1 warranty related complaint with these (and other manufacturer's today) and all the cause, the further compounding causes, and the general bandaid fixes only postpone further issues for a short time.

If you want all the technical info explained from each step after it leaves the factory just PM me and I will give you all the info of the intial cause, what makes it worse, how it contributes to even greater consumption down the road, and how to prevent it all.

This from a former GM tech with over 38 years of doing this. If your not interested (we understand your very limited in what you can or cannot post in public) just say so. But knowledge is a great thing.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
mattiejean

Drives: black with white strips
Well i have the same prob with my 2010 v6 camaro ! .. n i have already replaced the motor once and i jus had my oil changed on the 1st of april n today the tow truck came n got it again cause there was no oil in it !! so i am almost positive this is a factory defect in the v6 motor !! and i am tired of my car being in the shop !!
mattiejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiejean View Post
Well i have the same prob with my 2010 v6 camaro ! .. n i have already replaced the motor once and i jus had my oil changed on the 1st of april n today the tow truck came n got it again cause there was no oil in it !! so i am almost positive this is a factory defect in the v6 motor !! and i am tired of my car being in the shop !!
Are you still experiencing issues? Let us know the status of your concerns. Here to help.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
optimus67

Drives: camaro 2012 ls
Hey, just read this and same thing happened to me last week. The morning I checked my oil and everything was good. When I left work, I noticed my car was kind of back firing and then went on engine power reduced mode. I towed my car home cause garage was closed l, checked the oil and it was nowhere to be seen on the dips tick. So I went to buy some synthetic oil, put half the bottle in, still no oil on the dip stick. I towed the car to a gm dealer since it wouldn't start anymore. They said I was missing lol 4 quarts of oil. I have a Chevy camaro 2012 ls with 57000 km, not miles. Now tomorrow an inspector is coming and see the car. I bought an extended warranty and there's still the 5 years 160000 km warranty. I did my oil change as required. They have to open up the engine and waiting for tomorrow to have an answer if they gonna cover it or not. This is ridiculous
optimus67 is offline   Reply With Quote