Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Captainjapan
Captain SS / 2

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2/RS
L99 engine

I read somewhere that the L99 engine turns off 4 cylinders off when traveling on the highway. Is this true and how does this work? At what speed does this happen?
Captainjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Dukes117
H0TWH331S

Drives: '11 SW SS(SOLD) '12 IOM SS (order)
It happens all the time, when in park, neutral, reverse, and even sometimes when you're drag racing. The ONLY way to disable this system is to get twin turbo's. That's the ONLY way. Don't you hear the fart can noise when you're in park? That because you're only running 2 cylinders in that situation. Believe it or not, in 6th gear the car will actually run on 1 cylinder. Crazy huh.
Dukes117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes117 View Post
It happens all the time, when in park, neutral, reverse, and even sometimes when you're drag racing. The ONLY way to disable this system is to get twin turbo's. That's the ONLY way. Don't you hear the fart can noise when you're in park? That because you're only running 2 cylinders in that situation. Believe it or not, in 6th gear the car will actually run on 1 cylinder. Crazy huh.
Not so!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes117 View Post
Are you really sure about that? My L99 uses engine braking to turn the engine backwards when braking to reclaim lost gasoline. There are giant kinnifling pins in the rear axles. Mine will run on LESS than one cylinder. You must have a lemon. Mine also reclaims gasoline when it is in reverse.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Dukes117
H0TWH331S

Drives: '11 SW SS(SOLD) '12 IOM SS (order)
Ah, yes ^. My mistake.
Dukes117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Not so!
I'm sure he was just kidding.

OP:
Do a search for AFM on here and i'm sure you'll find out all you want to know about it. Basically, under a certain set of circimstances, the car will deactivate 4 cylinders in order to conserve fuel. They reactivate as soon as you put X amount of load on the engine. AFM is active in pretty much all gears so you can go into AFM cruising around the neighborhood.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjapan View Post
I read somewhere that the L99 engine turns off 4 cylinders off when traveling on the highway. Is this true and how does this work? At what speed does this happen?
Now that they are done having fun the real answer is yes it does. It runs in "4cyl" mode in certain situations to help save fuel. The L99 also has variable valve timing as well. The addition of these two items are also the reason why it's output is slightly less then the manuals LS3 and why when you want to get large amounts of power it costs more. (since those items need to be replaced with LS3 gear) Hope that helps.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The AFM and variable valve timing isn't really what loses the hp. The LS3 has higher compression, and different cam lift/timing. If the compression and cam specs were the same, theoretically the peak hp would be the same. Problem being though is the L99 must use a cam that is friendly with the AFM lifters (low lift), and piston clearance to allow for the variable valve timing.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
The AFM absolutely drives me nuts! But this is just me. Some people dont find a problem with it. I can feel it kick in and it creates an exhaust note that sounds terrible. I guess you have to understand what you are hearing. I am adding multiple bolt ons around my time off in the holiday and getting a Tune. I cant wait for the AFm to be turned off! They say once the car is tuned the L99 is a different beast.

Any questions you have feel free to roam this forum and search for topics. You will learn a lot. Great people on here and lots of experience with these cars.
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
When I had AFM (Active Fuel Management) and VVT (Variable Valve Timing) I actually didn't hate it too much. I loved the up to 33 mpg (on several occasions) I got from it. It does get annoying at times, most so when you have an aftermarket exhaust system, it really amplifies the change in noise.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), it can be active in all gears and forward moving shifter positions, all speeds, and most RPMs. Some have claimed you can temporarily deactivate it if you go into manual mode, shift up down then up again, it should stay off until you take it out of manual mode.

The only way to permanently turn it off is if you get the computer tuned to turn it off. But some problems still exist with it; the lifters it uses to deactivate cylinders are somewhat prone to failure when larger stresses are placed on the engine, and sometimes even in stock form. It's not too common, but it has happened a lot. When a lifter fails, the engine is for the most part dead in the water until it is repaired. It will usually still run, but its not a good idea to do so.

The only true way to get rid of AFM, and also get rid of the sketchy lifters, is to replace the lifters and engine valley cover, and while you're in there, might as well replace the cam too, and have an awesome sounding, performing, and feeling car!

- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Ricky11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Fact: Use the tap shifts and just press the downshift while running like at 30 mph and it will deactivate. 100% sure
Ricky11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
There is a lot of mis-information and opinions out there about using tap shift and AFM.
The above method, or any other method for that matter never worked for me. It was always active (when conditions were met), no matter what I did with the gear shifter or tap buttons. It may vary from car to car, who knows.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
JDP- I am having the AFM turned off via tune, but I have no intentions of doing a LS3 conversion, any time soon, at least... Should I still replace the the 4 lifters?

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Ricky11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post
There is a lot of mis-information and opinions out there about using tap shift and AFM.
The above method, or any other method for that matter never worked for me. It was always active (when conditions were met), no matter what I did with the gear shifter or tap buttons. It may vary from car to car, who knows.
may ur right
but it worked for me
Ricky11SS is offline   Reply With Quote