Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #85
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
First Post on the site. This thread caught my attention because I wonder about resale since it was SOOO darn hard to locate my car in California.

Anyways, 2 things stand out here: First, the yellow color definitely limits potential buyers. Second, the mods you've made are costs incurred by you and you shouldn't expect to see any additional dollars for them. As stated by someone else, the mods further limit your potential buyers who might not want them.

Having just financed my car, my credit union offers great rates. The difference between NEW and USED rates is currently 0.4%. If you finance for 84 months, you are paying $1000 more in financing at a car in this price range. I'd personally want the seller of a used 2010 Camaro to eat that on top of a respectable loss in value. Someone threw out 32k as a respectable price, I think that's more plausible and nothing to balk at for a quick turnaround on a gently used car.

You don't want to wait too long, these cars are definitely going to become MORE available as production increases, further impacting resale value.
why does yellow limit buyer? I would never own a black car nor would any of my buddies. To hard to keep clean and swirl marks and chips stand out like a sore thumb. Fact is the same anytime you try to sell a car that new used, it's going to be hard to get what you think it's worth.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #86
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Have you tried to get a dealer to put it on consignment for you? Let the dealer worry about selling it, and they can even get the financing done for it, and they usually only charge like a $1000.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #87
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
I can't answer for any other dealer except for me regarding this. It is not meant to be insulting but just what we go by. If any customer buys a new vehicle and within months and/or a few thousand miles, we usually take the net price and then subtract approx. $3000. That's why I said the car is probably worth around $31000 wholesale. That's just a guess. Numbers vary from dealer to dealer and situations are different.

There just has to be a large enough spread between brand new and used for a new customer to consider the used car.

Good luck with the situation. Sorry the thread got off track with the title issues.

Now it's back on track.

BTW, the non-RS makes it more of a rare combo so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #88
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 View Post
I can't answer for any other dealer except for me regarding this. It is not meant to be insulting but just what we go by. If any customer buys a new vehicle and within months and/or a few thousand miles, we usually take the net price and then subtract approx. $3000. That's why I said the car is probably worth around $31000 wholesale. That's just a guess. Numbers vary from dealer to dealer and situations are different.

There just has to be a large enough spread between brand new and used for a new customer to consider the used car.

Good luck with the situation. Sorry the thread got off track with the title issues.

Now it's back on track.

BTW, the non-RS makes it more of a rare combo so I wouldn't worry about it.
Well said, take your lumbs and move on.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #89
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1ny View Post
thanks for the input everyone, that was the premise of my thread, it wasnt supposed to say "I cant sell my car for what I think I should be getting", the mods changed it to that, it was originally titled "resale value of new Camaros in the toilet" and I think everyones posts here back up the title of my original thread...............

I understand cars depreciate but you guys that seem to think its only worth $30k

Does it seem right for a car to depreciate $7,000 in only 90 days??

That seems very extreme to me, I still see 05/06 GTOs with low miles selling for close to $20k and that was only a $30k car 5 years ago......................

Its irrevelent what you paid for your M6 1SS, go on the Chevy website and build my exact car and you will see what its worth, I am asking a fair price and someone will get a good deal.................

As for people like jrboyd_1980 please stay out of my thread, the title issue is irrevelent, the original poster asked if I had the title and I stated yes, no where did he ask if I had a lein free title so please dont assume and please stop arguing a moot point and get a life.......................

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the comments and again the car is NOT my dd and I dont need to sell it so that being said comment away

The majority of the depreciation will happen in the first year. This is taking into account you don't drive some insane amount of miles or wreck the car at some point. Cars reach plateaus that they "hang" at for some time then drop again. $7,000 seems to be a low, plateau for Corvettes...anything other than that is trash. $14,000 seems to be the plateau for higher mileage, well-kept Corvettes.

4th gen Camaros and Firebirds seem to follow this same kind of trend. What you have to take into consideration is what has been posted here about the trade-off between new and used. This first year, new will probably reign supreme in a buyer's mind. From there, we are back into the 4th gen days, when it made alot more sense to buy used.

I seriously think you need to not look at what TTL and mods cost you as those are sunk costs and are gone for good. If I buy your car, I will have to pay taxes and licensing fees all over again, even though you just have, so I won't want to pay for yours also.

I've already chimed in about the mods...I'd encourage you to pull the CAI and sell it separately once you sell the car. As far as the exhaust, not sure what brand you have and if you had to cut the original system. If you didn't do any cutting and still have the original, I'd put it back on and do the same with it. You might even come out better doing this. If you've cut the exhaust, leave the aftermarket on as a buyer could see why you're exhaust has extra welds in it.

Again, good luck with both the car sale and the move.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #90
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
It has been mentioned before but have you listed your car on autotrader, craigslist or any other website to get more exposure? You may be able to find a buyer from someone in a bigger city that only sees cars listed for over MSRP.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #91
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
It has been mentioned before but have you listed your car on autotrader, craigslist or any other website to get more exposure? You may be able to find a buyer from someone in a bigger city that only sees cars listed for over MSRP.
Remember, you only need one "a$$" to fit that seat. If the buyer just blasted out of a Chevy dealer at 5K over, your Camaro is a deal and a steal.

Be patient.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #92
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
The mods are killing it, take it back to stock if can. Mods are an instant red flag for buyers.

Put it on Craigslist if you can, for some reason, I've sold everything on that place I've ever put on there.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #93
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
I understand cars depreciate but you guys that seem to think its only worth $30k

Does it seem right for a car to depreciate $7,000 in only 90 days??
Yes, it does to me, for this car, at this time, and this place. You're trying to sell a car that few people in your area can afford (since it would be seen as a 2nd car only, not a primary car), heading into winter when even fewer are thinking about performance cars, it's yellow and modded, and if a buyer does have the money, they can get a brand new one exactly how they want it. It seems right to me.

Quote:
That seems very extreme to me, I still see 05/06 GTOs with low miles selling for close to $20k and that was only a $30k car 5 years ago.....................
That may be true, but there are several key differences:
1. GTOs aren't being made anymore. If someone wants one, they have to buy used. If someone wants a Camaro, they have the option of buying one new and most would prefer that option unless the price is right.
2. GTOs have a larger back seat and are seen as more practical. This is an issue in your area since it might be considered a primary car and thus might be purchased going into the winter.
3. Those GTOs lost the majority of that depreciation in the first year, as is happening with your car.
4. As a percentage of value, assuming your statement of $20K is accurate, they've depreciated about 1/3 of their original value. The Camaro cost more to begin with and thus you should expect a greater dollar-value of depreciation.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #94
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
why does yellow limit buyer? I would never own a black car nor would any of my buddies. To hard to keep clean and swirl marks and chips stand out like a sore thumb.
The fact is that certain colors don't sell as well. I think the Rally Yellow Camaro is nice, but I wouldn't have bought one over black, red (either shade,) white, silver or blue (either shade) unless the price was quite a few grand lower. Most people's logic is: If I'm spending that much for a car, I want it to be the color I want.

As an aside, I read somewhere that if your car isn't black, red, white, silver or gray, you don't get as much trade-in because any other color is that much harder to sell.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #95
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Might as well keep it if you're not getting what you want for it..bottom line.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #96
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
The fact is that certain colors don't sell as well. I think the Rally Yellow Camaro is nice, but I wouldn't have bought one over black, red (either shade,) white, silver or blue (either shade) unless the price was quite a few grand lower. Most people's logic is: If I'm spending that much for a car, I want it to be the color I want.

As an aside, I read somewhere that if your car isn't black, red, white, silver or gray, you don't get as much trade-in because any other color is that much harder to sell.

Love them or hate them, Yellow is one of the top 5 colors, and at local dealerships they are snapped up the quickest here in AZ. Very rare to see a yellow Camaro or Z06 last on the lot too long here in AZ. Must have something to do with the SUN.........perhaps?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #97
Ammo7
I GOT HER

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs RJT
Quote:
the original thread topic was and should read :Camaro resale in the toilet?: which I guess was too "offensive" to the mods here, I guess the truth hurts that such a "in demand" car has depreciated so much in a few months...................

*Disclaimer* I love my car, it is not abused, I am not disappointed in it, nothing like that, I simply have decided I want to make a major change in my life and me and my wife want to move to the west coast and I need the money, I will not sell the car dirt cheap and worst case I keep it and enjoy it.............................

I listed my car for sale and havent gotten a single response, not a offer, nothing-

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41665

very disappointing for a car thats supposed to be so "in demand"

the car is mint with 1600 miles on it, never driven in rain, never smoked in, never eaten or drank anything in it, hell its never even been left unsupervised in a parking lot, only 93 octane run through it ect ect

the car was $37k without tax (over $40k out the door) and it has over $1000 worth of upgrades and I am asking $35k

just food for thought for those of you who might want to sell in the short term
have you had your car for more than 60 days if not give it back to the dealer for a full refund. under the gm 60day money back program.
2000, Order accepted by GM0-8/11/09
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/12/2009 TPW 09/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 08/25/09
3800, Order produced 09/12/09 2G1FK1EJ6A9145958
4200, shipped 09/14/09
5000 vehicle at dealer 09/28/09
6000 vehicle delivered to customer 09/28/09
Ammo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #98
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo7 View Post
have you had your car for more than 60 days if not give it back to the dealer for a full refund. under the gm 60day money back program.

I think that only applies to cars bought in the last week or so after that offer was released by GM