Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
You can merely open up the GM door lamps and use them. But at $18 a piece that could get costly.

Well let me tell you which 505NM is not the right one..

Optek Standard LED OVLGC0C6B9

There is a chance maybe another 505NM is correct.
Also could we do a white with a color lens to achieve it?
LOL Yeah that could get pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRS View Post
What you may not understand is I made the blue LED's match the stock lights by covering over them with a transparent yellow tape this makes them match the stock Ice Blue lights perfect. If you look at the pictures you will notice that all the lights are the same color blue. In person all the lights look Ice Blue.

This is just one way I found to be easy and verry easy on the pocket!!
I dont know much about the lights that you are using and if you can cover them with the tape I used? But if you go with changing the stock LED's you must like a challeng.
I like that in a person by the wayAlso how would you change the light pipe on the doors?If you think I can be any help let me know and good luck and enjoy the ride
I did not catch that. I had a similar idea, I may just try that. Thanks for the clarification :-) This could be great. I did notice your lights looked not as blue as my blue I figured it was just the image. Awesome,

I am a problem solver by nature and by profession (Architecture) I also love electronics and tinkering, I learned to solder many years ago, my father is an electronic technician, I learned from him. The tape idea should work perfectly for my cases.

I figured I would disect the light pipe LED to determine it's type of LED and replace it as well. I really like to 470 spectrum of blue but it would be a lot of work, and I'm not ready to blow my warranty out the window. LOL Thanks for the idea I will implement this and take photos!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
...so i know this is an old thread, but it seems to be the only one i can find on this. Did anyone replace the LED's behind the gauges to match another color of lighting? Or did yall just match them to ice blue? I've been looking on changing the ice blue lights. I dont really like the blue green color that much..
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
There's a DIY thread in the DIY forum. It's PLCC-2 LEDs and I would definitely recommend getting them from Oznium.com instead of the Digi-Key link above. Digi-Key link above has them priced at $4.50 each if I'm reading correctly whereas they were like $0.50 at Oznium.com...

Just the red LEDs:
Name:  Clifford 001.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  159.0 KB

Red and white:
Name:  Clifford 003.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  129.0 KB

Finished product
Name:  Clifford 005.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  160.4 KB

PS - I take no credit, I just followed the DIY thread. Props goes to that thread's author for posting it for us to use!

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifbody View Post
There's a DIY thread in the DIY forum. It's PLCC-2 LEDs and I would definitely recommend getting them from Oznium.com instead of the Digi-Key link above. Digi-Key link above has them priced at $4.50 each if I'm reading correctly whereas they were like $0.50 at Oznium.com...

Attachment 323287

PS - I take no credit, I just followed the DIY thread. Props goes to that thread's author for posting it for us to use!
Oznium is great for the DIY.
The LEDs I saw behind the HVAC cluster seemed a lot smaller than the PLCC-2's But I could be wrong, but the DIY is awesome nice someone did one. I plan to do all my lighting Ice Blue, I'm not going to risk soldering such small LED's I don't have the equipment for that. Plus there are Ice Blue LED's everywhere, in the window switches HVAC cluster everywhere! LOL

Here is the DIY.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=PLCC-2

Here is a video on SMD soldering. There are tons more you can cearch for.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Oznium is great for the DIY.
The LEDs I saw behind the HVAC cluster seemed a lot smaller than the PLCC-2's But I could be wrong, but the DIY is awesome nice someone did one. I plan to do all my lighting Ice Blue, I'm not going to risk soldering such small LED's I don't have the equipment for that. Plus there are Ice Blue LED's everywhere, in the window switches HVAC cluster everywhere! LOL

Here is the DIY.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=PLCC-2

Here is a video on SMD soldering. There are tons more you can cearch for.

Thanks for the video, that was pretty good. This project was the first time I had ever done circuit board soldering and it was VERY easy. I didn't even have a good soldering iron for it so I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a "Hobby Kit" where it had 3 soldering iron tips and 4 wood carving tips and then the soldering iron itself. A fine pick tip makes the job VERY easy. I wish I had the flux shown in the video, that looks like it made the job a LOT easier.

My method was to use the soldering iron to heat the solder on each side of the stock LED while gently prying to get the LED freed from the board. Once the LED was free from the board, I added a tiny drop of solder to each of the 4 points on the circuit board. Then I used tweezers to align the LED, soldered one side while pushing down with the tweezers, soldered the opposite side while pushing down so it'd lay flat, and then soldered the first side again.

It's not for the feint of heart but if you're comfortable soldering wires together, this is not hard to do at all.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifbody View Post
Thanks for the video, that was pretty good. This project was the first time I had ever done circuit board soldering and it was VERY easy. I didn't even have a good soldering iron for it so I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a "Hobby Kit" where it had 3 soldering iron tips and 4 wood carving tips and then the soldering iron itself. A fine pick tip makes the job VERY easy. I wish I had the flux shown in the video, that looks like it made the job a LOT easier.

My method was to use the soldering iron to heat the solder on each side of the stock LED while gently prying to get the LED freed from the board. Once the LED was free from the board, I added a tiny drop of solder to each of the 4 points on the circuit board. Then I used tweezers to align the LED, soldered one side while pushing down with the tweezers, soldered the opposite side while pushing down so it'd lay flat, and then soldered the first side again.

It's not for the feint of heart but if you're comfortable soldering wires together, this is not hard to do at all.
Good to know thanks for the input.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
OKBumblebee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Bumblebee edition.
Nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post

Just the red LEDs:
Attachment 323286

Red and white:
Attachment 323285

Finished product

Attachment 323287

THAT sir is totally badass. I am working on a similar thing like that at the moment. But i am trying to create white overlays for the gauges. The led mod is just what i was looking to do with the white gauges. Very Nice