Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #57
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...different strokes for different folks....I'm sure it was for your crew, it was the same for my mine as well. Collectively we have an assembled group of guys who share the same passion and interest for the Z/28. I am sure all our buddies had different cars no different than yours. We are all car guys, and appreciate bad rides. I know I did. Z/28 was and is something something special to us that has carried a deep connection with the brand throughout our lifetimes. We just want it back, as bold as it can be. Not a SS. Anything wrong with that?
I must confess. Back in the day I was dreaming of L78 and L72 Camaros.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #58
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Since the 5th Gen is inspired by the 1st Gen, when I think Z/28 I think of a 1st Gen inspired Z/28. Lightweight no frills, like rollup windows, no A/C or radio. Track suspension and lots of N/A power. Street legal racer, unlike the current COPO with no VIN.

It came from the factory with headers !!!

(they were in the trunk and the dealer installed them)
You know, it is interesting that my '69 Z/28 showed up at the dealer without any headers in the trunk so the dealer could not install them. In fact, out of all the people I personally knew that also bought new Z/28s in '68/'69 (numbering over a dozen), none of ours had headers in the trunk. Kind of makes you go...........hmmmmm? My headers were purchased at a local speed shop and were not installed by the Chevy dealer.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #59
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Actually they have a bunch of courses. I would assume that all media type events use the same track but I could be wrong....

Track Configuration
Virginia International Raceway offers 4 configurations, of which 2 can always be run simultaneously. Facilities include two separate paddocks with timing towers, covered tech bays, classrooms, restaurant, race fuel, pro shop and restrooms with showers.
Grand East Course: 4.20 miles / 6.76 km
Grand West Course: 4.10 miles / 6.60 km
Full Course: 3.27 miles / 5.26 km
North Course: 2.25 miles / 3.62 km
South Course: 1.65 miles / 2.66 km
Patriot Course: 1.10 miles / 1.77 km
Front Straightaway: 3000 feet / 914.5 m
Back Straightaway: 4000 feet / 1219.2 m
Elevation Change: 130 feet / 40 m
Aha. So the comparison of the LS Boss 302 (3:02) and 1LE (3:00-) could be apples to oranges. :(
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Very true and I wasn't knocking the Z/28 by my statement. It's just that going fast in a straight line was what we did. Now a days I would rather have the Z/28 with SS power. OH Wait, that's why I'm getting a ZL1.
...and I was too... I had an order....it has sat at 2030 since January...and honestly I had too much time on my hands to think about what I really wanted....I vasilated back and forth for the last year and a half about it....and having many second thoughts I decided to pull out and go with my gut instinct and wait for what I really wanted al along. A Z/28. I'm not going any further on this thread about it, but make no mistake, I thought long and hard about it. I beat the drum for the product pretty long and hard. But, the 2013 1LE news has me very excited....and I see a potential breakthrough in the future. Enjoy your ZL1, I'ts gonna be a swell ride!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #61
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Aha. So the comparison of the LS Boss 302 (3:02) and 1LE (3:00-) could be apples to oranges. :(
Very very doubtful
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #62
wildpaws

Quote:
I must confess. Back in the day I was dreaming of L78 and L72 Camaros.
Back in the day I liked all kinds of Chevy models and engines, there were some awesome 327cid engines out there, some great 396cid and 427cid engines too. The group of people I hung out with were almost all Chevy owners with everything from a '60 Impala 348cid with three two barrels, to a 57 Nomad with a built 327, to a ChevyII Nova SS with 327 350HP, to well just name a combination and you'd likely find it among that group. My most favorite back then was the Z/28, hence the reason I sold my '67 Camaro RS and bought a '69 Z/28.
Clyde
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #63
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...and I was too... I had an order....it has sat at 2030 since January...and honestly I had too much time on my hands to think about what I really wanted....I vasilated back and forth for the last year and a half about it....and having many second thoughts I decided to pull out and go with my gut instinct and wait for what I really wanted al along. A Z/28. I'm not going any further on this thread about it, but make no mistake, I thought long and hard about it. I beat the drum for the product pretty long and hard. But, the 2013 1LE news has me very excited....and I see a potential breakthrough in the future. Enjoy your ZL1, I'ts gonna be a swell ride!
Thanks, and I hope you all get your wish for a Z/28. Face it, GM needs to keep coming out with new product to keep the camaro fire burning.

For me, I just don't think the 1LE is quite there ,but what the heck do I know. Hope I'm wrong.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #64
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Let's correct some mis-information first, then I'll explain. First gen. Z/28 production: '67-602, '68-7,199, '69-20,302. When the Camaro was first released in the fall of '66 for the '67 model year, there was no Z/28. Some of the executives within the Chevrolet/Camaro section felt that there needed to be a unique Camaro to compete in the SCCA TransAm Sedan Race Series. Some engineers were tasked with doing this and the vehicle that resulted was the Camaro Z/28, it was almost a production racecar available from the factory, it was not available with AC or auto tranny, nor was it available in a convertible. It featured a high compression (11:1) 302cid SBC with solid lifters that was able to rev 7k+ quite easily right off the showroom floor and featured the same Holley 780cfm carb found on some Chevy big block engines. The standard rear gear ratio was 3.73 with optional ratios up to 4.56(and possibly the 4.88s were available also). It could be equipped with a chin spoiler and a trunklid spoiler and was available with the wide "stereo" stipes on hood and trunk that were initially available on Z/28 only. The Z/28 was a mid-year introduction in the '67 model year (I think the first ones were built in Dec. '66). While the first gen SS Camaros were excellent cars, their high performance was more focused on 1/4 mile and straight line accelereation, the Z/28 was purpose built to be focused on excellent handling in curves as well as straightaways. If someone wanted an acceleration focused Camaro they bought a SS, if they wanted excellent all around handling for straightening out curves they chose the Z/28. While the SS models (available with several engine configurations) had great acceleration, throw some curves into the equation and all an SS would see is Z/28 tail lights. And that is a brief history of the heritage of the Z/28 and how it came to be.
Clyde
so what you're saying is, the first gen Z/28 had the same purpose as the 3rd gen IROC... it was supposed to be a street legal version of a race car... seems legit... i kinda want to build a 302... lol

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #65
Fraxum

Quote:
You know, it is interesting that my '69 Z/28 showed up at the dealer without any headers in the trunk so the dealer could not install them. In fact, out of all the people I personally knew that also bought new Z/28s in '68/'69 (numbering over a dozen), none of ours had headers in the trunk. Kind of makes you go...........hmmmmm? My headers were purchased at a local speed shop and were not installed by the Chevy dealer.
Clyde
If I remember you could get headers, cross ram dual quad, and a cam in the Z28 trunk. (Off road package I think) Not so sure about the cam.

The hot setup for the L78 was an L88 cam, headers, and gears. With slicks these were low 12 high 11 second cars. But that big 396 lump in front affected the dynamics in the curves.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #66
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-phoenix View Post
so what you're saying is, the first gen Z/28 had the same purpose as the 3rd gen IROC... it was supposed to be a street legal version of a race car... seems legit... i kinda want to build a 302... lol
The IROC was more of a candy coated car. The original Z28 was very close to the SCCA cars.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #67
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Very very doubtful
I feel better now, thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #68
wildpaws

Quote:
If I remember you could get headers, cross ram dual quad, and a cam in the Z28 trunk. (Off road package I think) Not so sure about the cam.

The hot setup for the L78 was an L88 cam, headers, and gears. With slicks these were low 12 high 11 second cars. But that big 396 lump in front affected the dynamics in the curves.
Yes you could get all of that, the original poster I was quoting seemed to imply that they all came with headers in the trunk and that just was not so. And actually on the street the single four barrel seemed to outperform the dual quad cross ram, the two 500 cfms on it dumped too much gas. I had some "adventures" with L78 Camaros back in the day, they were excellent packages, but like you mentioned with that 396 lump in the front they did not dare to go with me on curvy roads.
Clyde
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #69
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Yes you could get all of that, the original poster I was quoting seemed to imply that they all came with headers in the trunk and that just was not so. I had some "adventures" with L78 Camaros back in the day, they were excellent packages, but like you mentioned with that 396 lump in the front they did not dare to go with me on curvy roads.
Clyde
Or stop
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #70
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Or stop
Stopping was for girls.

(Just kidding girls)