Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
zachking100

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LT
Performance Upgrades

Hey guys I am trying to build up my camaro I have a 2014 1LT Convertible, and I am trying to find the best way for it to sounds nicer. I have heard that you can drill holes in the muffler but I'm not sure how that would work. I am trying to get more into cars since there are endless things that you can do with them, I have been looking into borla exhaust, magnaflow, or a bullet muffler. Also if there was a way to change the headlights to halo headlights I was thinking of a green color that would be awesome. If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Thanks so much,
Zachy
zachking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
Put the drill down and back away from the car! Just kidding and welcome to the forum. Do some searching and reading all the answers are here somewhere.
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Venomous

Drives: 2015 Silver Camaro 1lt RS M6
Go to the Apex website and have a look around. Good folks there and you can rely on them for any help you need. A nice cold air intake would be a good place to start. I don't think I would recommend drilling holes in your muffler. Me personally I haven't heard a good exhaust for a V6 but lots of people here really like the sound so you may want to search around. Search is your best friend on here.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Bobs of FL

Drives: 2010 2SS Black/IOM
Welcome to the forums, it sounds like you have a ton of ideas in your head and I hope your car turns out the way you hope!

As stated.. put the drill down! With any luck, you can resell your stock exhaust for some cash to use on a future mod, assuming it doesn't have holes. My recommendation is to check out YouTube sound clips of your exact trim level/aftermarket exhaust. That will give you the best idea of what each will sound like, but not an exact note (some things just don't carry over from real life to video). If you're lucky, someone in your area will have the combination you're seeking and will let you hear it then

As for the halos, it sounds like you would need to upgrade your housing (and this is where my knowledge thins) to be able to hold the LED rings (you're describing a multi-color or even color shifting rings). I've been fond of Oracle products but there are multiple companies that sell this particular items. Search around the Sponsor/Member Classified sections.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help

Edit- And I complete forgot about the performance aspect of your question. A great place to start is with a Cold Air Intake, Headers (I have Kooks Long Tubes/Hi-Flow Cat and love it), and an exhaust. I have all of those and a tune from Janetty Racing and love the combination so far.
Bobs of FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Halo's can be done, you can either get them already installed or save some money and install them yourself. It is a pain to get the fixture apart in order to install them(just a warning) as i did it on mine. I actually took out the original Halo and installed the Oracle Halo's that i can program whatever color i want.

As far as exhaust goes, no headers for you, 2012+ LFX engine will not allow headers, however you can replace the rest of the exhaust for more power and sound. Brands to choose will be personal preference. Personally i would suggest one that doesn't cause drone while cruising.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
zachking100

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LT
Hey thanks so much guys for all your help I was planning on doing the cold air intake already I just wanted to find out if there was anything else that I can do to the car myself I know some things about cars, and I am trying to learn more since I want to become a mechanic but I don't have any of the tools sadly to do any of this myself plus my family would kill me.

Thanks so much again for all your help I will definitely start looking things up.
zachking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The biggest band for the buck is an upgrade to an outboard mount rear sway bar. It is a HUGE gain! HUGE.

You think you went out and bought a new car when you turn your first corner with the ZL1, 1LE, Z/28 style big boy rear bar.

http://www.jpssonline.com/#/jpss-black-magic-sway-bars/

FYI - JPSS makes the only outboard mount rear sway bar to fit a V6

Some people just can't wait, so we had to do a parking lot install at CamaroFEST Bowling Green.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
My kinda vendor!

+1 on going to outboard sways!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
tamphuong

Drives: Convertible 1LT RS , SOLO cat back
Location: BMR sways, Toe arms, Bushing for street, KW v1 coil over, VTC, Oil catching can. Air filter, BT
Get this Mach-X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust Kit
#993961 by Solo
Fits 2011-2015 Camaro LS/LT V6 Convertible from www.phastekperformance.com.

Sound real good.
tamphuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
My kinda vendor!

+1 on going to outboard sways!

-Don
Grab a wrench, a beer and get to work!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
Jmann356

Drives: White 2013 2SS/RS L99
From what ive heard a resonated X-pipe and muffler delete sounds pretty good on the V6's. Go on youtube and do some looking around, you'll find something you like eventually
Jmann356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann356 View Post
From what ive heard a resonated X-pipe and muffler delete sounds pretty good on the V6's. Go on youtube and do some looking around, you'll find something you like eventually
We've gotten a lot of good feedback lately on this combination with the 11386 Tru-X muffler (also called the resonated X-pipe). This forum post has some clips of it on forum members' cars and while we know well that exhaust really should be heard in person to get the full effect, these are pretty good examples:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419447
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #13
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
We've gotten a lot of good feedback lately on this combination with the 11386 Tru-X muffler (also called the resonated X-pipe). This forum post has some clips of it on forum members' cars and while we know well that exhaust really should be heard in person to get the full effect, these are pretty good examples:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419447
It probably helps to post a link to the part number.

http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partnumber=11386

And here's a cutaway, just because it looks neat.

Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote