Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
'71 Camaro build

I figured I should start a dedicated thread for the build progress since it's speeding up a bit now.

Currently the plan for her is a LS1/T56 combo to make a bit more power than stock and much better fuel economy. Have to put in a cage of some sort since I do plan on doing some racing here and there, probably just straight line until the suspension is all sorted out but either way I don't want the roof to rip apart. I'll probably drive her for a little while running black primer (no not rattle can) and debate whether or not to do light grey primer stripes, cheesy I know but I don't have a very large budget and she'll get parked in a high school parking lot until the end of may. I do plan on keeping the front end non-RS, at the most if I can find some cheap bumperettes I might put those on but I prefer the non-RS look. I may end up making a reverse opening fiberglass hood (corvette style), I was also thinking about trying to find a wrecked C6 and make the door handles work for a smoother look. Eventually it'll probably turn a dark blue (something along the lines of IBM maybe a little darker) and equally dark grey stripes (CGM mixed with black). That's all I can really think of for know, I know there's more but I can't think of it.

This is how it started when I first got it, have more/better pictures up soon

Here's her new heart, a LS1 out of a '98 Camaro. The kid who owned the car drove it with little/no oil and blew a good sized hole in the side of the block, came with a '99 block with good rotating assembly to put the '98s top end on.

How the body looked saturday (11/13) stripped to bare metal

put the subframe back on today now that the body is primed and the firewall and underside is painted black. She got her first new shiny pieces, red poly. body bushings.

Last edited by 09'Z28; 12-04-2010 at 02:17 AM.
09'Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
DarthNacho08
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1999 camaro
Send a message via AIM to DarthNacho08
good luck, cant wait to see how it turns out d('.')b
DarthNacho08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
i just love the second gens. the 70 through 73 was always my favorite. definetly keeping up with this build. are any of these pictures with the stock rims? was just wondering. keep us updated for one day i want to rebuild a second gen like this.....
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Here is a little motivation from 1973 to keep you going. 2nd gens rock!
Attached Images

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 1LE
definitely going to keep an eye on this thread going to be a very nice build

I love the 2nd gen Camaro's

shadow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
I've been a little sidetracked these last two weeks, been repainting my miata before winter really hits and bad, rusty things start to happen in a couple of spots (one of the dangers of running slicks and living on a dirt road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthNacho08 View Post
good luck, cant wait to see how it turns out d('.')b
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
i just love the second gens. the 70 through 73 was always my favorite. definetly keeping up with this build. are any of these pictures with the stock rims? was just wondering. keep us updated for one day i want to rebuild a second gen like this.....
All of the pics with wheels are the wheels that came on the car when I got it, the front two and the rear drivers side are just stock steel wheels and I'm not sure what the rear pass. wheel came from but it seems familiar. I do have a full set of rally wheels that will act as wheels to use when I want to have a little smokey fun. I'll do my best and good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Here is a little motivation from 1973 to keep you going. 2nd gens rock!
Thanks. That car looks great, gives me some ideas on where to put an intake and how to make it stand out a little more from the others that seem to be showing up around here.
Also, if you happen to know someone with an extra one of those hoods laying around, I'd take good care of it... just saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow09 View Post
definitely going to keep an eye on this thread going to be a very nice build

I love the 2nd gen Camaro's
I sure hope so

Last edited by 09'Z28; 12-04-2010 at 02:47 AM.
09'Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote