Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
"Re-charging" a Roto-Fab filter

Has anyone done this successfully? I went ahead and purchased a kit, but all I hear is people having issues with the oil. I've done this same procedure with all my previous vehicles and have never had a problem so I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to know before I try this.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
xXSicSicSicXx

Drives: 14 1LE
just follow the instructions from their kit. oil down the splines after it dries then go around and do touch ups. easy.
xXSicSicSicXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
big key is to not overdo it. Otherwise, that oil will get on your MAF sensor, and your car will run like crap. Let it dry nicely, and you'll be golden.

I took an alternative way....ordered a brand new filter, so now I have 2. I pull off the dirty one, replace with new one, and then clean the dirty one. Toss it in a ziploc bag, and then when the time comes, rinse and repeat!
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Has anyone done this successfully? I went ahead and purchased a kit, but all I hear is people having issues with the oil. I've done this same procedure with all my previous vehicles and have never had a problem so I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to know before I try this.
Recharging a filter is easy.

Step 1. Remove - Remove the filter from your vehicle and ensure that no dirt or other debris enters the intake tube while the filter is off.

Step 2. Pre-Clean - Using your hand and/or compressed air (no more than 100 psi using a standard air nozzle) remove the larger visible debris from the outside of the filter. When using compressed air keep the nozzle at least 6” from the filter media.

Step 3. Clean - Spray the outside of the filter with the cleaning solution until the entire outer filter media is evenly saturated. Allow the filter to rest so the solution can soak in for 15 minutes.

Step 4. Rinse - Rinse the filter with warm water by running the water from the clean side of the filter thru to the dirty side of the filter, so that the water can flush the dirt out and off of the filter.

Step 5. Dry - Allow the filter to air dry naturally. (DO NOT use heat sources in attempt to dry the filter faster as this may damage the filter media fibers and/or shrink them.)

Step 6. Oil – Once dry, apply the oil solution to the outside of the filter media using 1 spray for every 2 square inches of filter media. DO NOT OVER OIL

Step 7. Dry – Allow oiled filter to dry for 30 minutes so that oil can soak into and “recharge” the filter media. You should be able to handle the filter without the oil coming off on your hands. If excess oil is on the filter, blot it with paper towels until you no longer pick up oil. Once this is the case your filter is ready to be reinstalled.

Step 8. Reinstall – Properly reinstall your recharged filter and make sure all connections are tight.

Step 9. Drink A Beer
- Figure that one out on your own.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Recharging a filter is easy.

Step 1. Remove - Remove the filter from your vehicle and ensure that no dirt or other debris enters the intake tube while the filter is off.

Step 2. Pre-Clean - Using your hand and/or compressed air (no more than 100 psi using a standard air nozzle) remove the larger visible debris from the outside of the filter. When using compressed air keep the nozzle at least 6” from the filter media.

Step 3. Clean - Spray the outside of the filter with the cleaning solution until the entire outer filter media is evenly saturated. Allow the filter to rest so the solution can soak in for 15 minutes.

Step 4. Rinse - Rinse the filter with warm water by running the water from the clean side of the filter thru to the dirty side of the filter, so that the water can flush the dirt out and off of the filter.

Step 5. Dry - Allow the filter to air dry naturally. (DO NOT use heat sources in attempt to dry the filter faster as this may damage the filter media fibers and/or shrink them.)

Step 6. Oil – Once dry, apply the oil solution to the outside of the filter media using 1 spray for every 2 square inches of filter media. DO NOT OVER OIL

Step 7. Dry – Allow oiled filter to dry for 30 minutes so that oil can soak into and “recharge” the filter media. You should be able to handle the filter without the oil coming off on your hands. If excess oil is on the filter, blot it with paper towels until you no longer pick up oil. Once this is the case your filter is ready to be reinstalled.

Step 8. Reinstall – Properly reinstall your recharged filter and make sure all connections are tight.

Step 9. Drink A Beer
- Figure that one out on your own.
Basically like any other filter I've ever done...beer included

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
big key is to not overdo it. Otherwise, that oil will get on your MAF sensor, and your car will run like crap. Let it dry nicely, and you'll be golden.

I took an alternative way....ordered a brand new filter, so now I have 2. I pull off the dirty one, replace with new one, and then clean the dirty one. Toss it in a ziploc bag, and then when the time comes, rinse and repeat!
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing...what did a new filter run you?

Old 08-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Basically like any other filter I've ever done...beer included
Exactly.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing...what did a new filter run you?
Just found my invoice from the order - after tax/shipping, total was 45.31

Don't go to RotoFab website and buy - they're going to give you this exact same filter, but charge you an extra $15 or so for it after you factor in shipping costs.

Here's what you need - sbfilters.com, and the part number for the SS rotofab filter is R0927...make the order, they make the filter (apparently they don't keep them stocked, they make them as ordered) and they'll ship it to you 3 days or so later. This is the exact same filter that you already have, you're just getting it straight from the mfg

Yank old off, put new on! Then you can take your time cleaning/prepping, and always be able to just swap straight away without having any downtime
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
Just found my invoice from the order - after tax/shipping, total was 45.31

Don't go to RotoFab website and buy - they're going to give you this exact same filter, but charge you an extra $15 or so for it after you factor in shipping costs.

Here's what you need - sbfilters.com, and the part number for the SS rotofab filter is R0927...make the order, they make the filter (apparently they don't keep them stocked, they make them as ordered) and they'll ship it to you 3 days or so later. This is the exact same filter that you already have, you're just getting it straight from the mfg

Yank old off, put new on! Then you can take your time cleaning/prepping, and always be able to just swap straight away without having any downtime
I really appreciate the info thanks

Old 08-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The Apex post covers it well. You can dry with a fan to speed the process. 'The most important things to know are the "don't do" things.

Don't use forced air to dry-it separates the media and leaves gaps for dirt to enter.

Don't use heat to dry-like a cotton shirt, the media can shrink which can cause it to pull away from the ends. Again, this causes a gap for dirt to enter.

Don't over oil- the safest thing is to oil very sparingly leaving large gaps between the areas you oil. Allow the oil to wick outward for 5-10 minutes. This will give you a better idea of how much oil to use on the next pass. Oil the filter only enough to achieve the oil color on all of the media.

The instructions with our cleaning kits are accurate. I just list the above points because they can't be emphasized enough.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Order the Precision II kit from Amazon.com for a slight price cut. I got one for $29.95 recently and was able to even get blue oil. (Looks VERY good on an ABM car, in my opinion.) Just follow the instructions and you'll be set. This is the first filter that I have ever re-oiled and it is working out perfectly. With the Precision kit you will need to research the amount of oil to add. On Roto-fab's page they recommend 56 grams of oil.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Pluto

Just got my filter cleaned up and oiled. It's been sitting about 20-30 minutes after I finished oiling it. I'm going to put it back on and go for a test drive....and hope for the best. It was pretty dirty for only 10,000 miles on it...does it get dirty quicker with a scoop installed?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
Pluto

Just went for a test drive to be sure and all was well. Piece of cake just like any other filter.
Attached Images