Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #449
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
the camaro isnt a luxury car IMO,
i think more of the money you pay for it goes to performance than it does the interior build materials. however you do get a great DIC and bluetooth.
however, i LOVE the interior.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #450
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
1-Camaro
2-Mustang
3-370Z
4-Challenger

I have sat in the new Camaro, the 05-09 Mustang, Chally RT, and a 350z at the dealership.
I swear on my life, when a car is better then the Camaro,i admit it. But when i sat in the 350, even my brother said it felt very cheap. There was hard plastic all over. Now i dont know if that was changed for the 370, but the 350 was not nice at all. It looks great, but the feel was way off.
The challenger is better in person then in pics. You kind of get used to the interior, its nice but not overwhelming, I have yet to sit in the new mustang, and the Camaro, just always excited me. Nothing can beat that cockpit feel you get and i have sat in the cloth back to back with the leathers, and they both feel great. However the leather with the acrylic panels gives a very nice feel to the driver!
I sat in a 370Z about a week ago, and even had a chance to test drive it, and it is a truely incredible car. The interior is FAR above that of the 350Z, and I mean FAR.
The seats are great, and the guage lay out is good, but not perfect. Pretty roomy, and again comfortable.

I agree with you about the Challenger interior. It's not overwhelming, but it is very comfortable and well laid out. My only problem is the steering wheel. If they had designed a wheel specifically for the Challenger, more of a deep dish wheel, preferrible 3 stoke, then it would be near perfect. The pistol grip shifter is also a little bit too far forward, and at an odd angle, IMO. Other than that, I find nothing majorly wrong with it.

The mustang... well... to be honest, IMO, the 05-09 model interior sucked... VERY badly. End of story on that.

I'm really looking forward to getting a good close look and feel for the Camaro's interior. The plastic IP really doesnt bother me at all. I almost never though that area of the dash on any car.

From pictures, the only issues I have with the interior is that the passenger side of the dash is bare, and the steering wheel looks like it might be a little bit on the big side. If possible, could someone with a new Camaro measure the diameter of the wheel sometime?

Thats my 2 cents.

1 or 2) Camaro or 370Z (I'll decide when I get into a Camaro)
3) Challenger
4) Mustang
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #451
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
I sat in a 370Z about a week ago, and even had a chance to test drive it, and it is a truely incredible car. The interior is FAR above that of the 350Z, and I mean FAR.
The seats are great, and the guage lay out is good, but not perfect. Pretty roomy, and again comfortable.

I agree with you about the Challenger interior. It's not overwhelming, but it is very comfortable and well laid out. My only problem is the steering wheel. If they had designed a wheel specifically for the Challenger, more of a deep dish wheel, preferrible 3 stoke, then it would be near perfect. The pistol grip shifter is also a little bit too far forward, and at an odd angle, IMO. Other than that, I find nothing majorly wrong with it.

The mustang... well... to be honest, IMO, the 05-09 model interior sucked... VERY badly. End of story on that.

I'm really looking forward to getting a good close look and feel for the Camaro's interior. The plastic IP really doesnt bother me at all. I almost never though that area of the dash on any car.

From pictures, the only issues I have with the interior is that the passenger side of the dash is bare, and the steering wheel looks like it might be a little bit on the big side. If possible, could someone with a new Camaro measure the diameter of the wheel sometime?

Thats my 2 cents.

1 or 2) Camaro or 370Z (I'll decide when I get into a Camaro)
3) Challenger
4) Mustang

When it comes to quality of interior materials/finish, the 370Z wins hands down. Still like the Camaro as a whole better though.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #452
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
When it comes to quality of interior materials/finish, the 370Z wins hands down. Still like the Camaro as a whole better though.
Like I said, I'll make that decision when I get into a Camaro (hopefully today if the dealer wasn't BS'n me...). So far, I'm leaning toward 370Z. Material/finish are great in the 370Z, but to me the interior layout in the Camaro is simpler, and overall better.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #453
Gibb

Drives: 1967 rs/ss 396 4speed
It's a Camaro not a Caddy, Malibu, Impala or anthing else, and it is not pretending to be. There are things that sport cars do not have. A couple things the Camaro does have that most don't is torgue and speed. Don't look bad either. I'm a big fan of that.
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #454
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I still don't understand cross shopping a 2 seater against a 4 seater.
You can't buy a 370Z for $22k ,so of course the interior of the Nissan is going to be better. If the GTO had started at $22K it wouldn't have had soft touch surfaces, high grade leather all over the seats and alcantara either.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #455
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Smile Plastic!

Plastic shouldn't deter me from this car---i had a 94", ever sat in a 94? Miles and miles of plastic on the IP and dash. Took half a bottle of armor-all to shine it up. When shined up the reflection was so bad it was almost impossible to see out of the windshield. No way the 2010 will look cheaper than my old 94" did. For me, the 2010 should be a huge upgrade. Oh by the way, the 94" was Purple pearl metallic. CGM looks (At least in pics) close to that color.

L
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #456
Altrus

Drives: By God it will be a SS oneday!
heheh....My current explorer doesn't even have vanity mirrors
Altrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #457
Slvr1SSA6

Drives: 2010 1SS A6---1968 SS Camaro
I like the fuel door on the right side. How many times have you gotten out at a gas station and tagged the dor on the pump island? You dont have that problem on the right side.
512 CI BBC producing 653 RWHP @ 6400 RPM
Slvr1SSA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #458
2010SSRSIO
RSSSIOM

Drives: 2010 RS SS Inferno Orange
Challenger vs Camaro

Well, I too had some of the same issues but I really like the Camaro looks and nostalgia. My neighbor damn him brought home a new White Challenger last night. Smaller engine automatic but it sure looks good. So good I am going to go look at a Challenger tonight... orange with the Hemi 6.1 .... I very seriously doubt I would ever buy it.. My wife would kill me and I have always thought Dodge cars were crap.
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
While you read this you must know I bleed Chevy blue, however I refuse to drink the fanboy koolaid.

My past cars that I've owned:
1969 Z-28 DZ motor etc.
1970 1/2 Camaro RS
1970 Chevelle SS
1972 Chevelle SS
1983/84 Camaro Z-28 305-ho LOL!!

After those years I felt the Camaro's got bloated and sticker graphic busy. However some of the motors ran like raped apes...

Fast forward to the past 2 yrs. I wanted a muscle car. To me there are only 2 to choose from, the Chally and the Camaro. The Mustang just felt like a tin box when I drove it. Still being a Chevy blue guy all my life I could not bring myself to buy a Chally when the Camaro was coming out a year later.

So I waited.......Pre-order program started and I ordered just like the rest of us. We went by pictures and looking at the car from a distance at the shows.

Until today I only had 2 gripes with the Camaro, and gripes from pictures.

1-Gas filler on the wrong side of the car.
2-Black wire loom in the trunk.

TODAY was the BIG day!! I left the wife and kids at home so I can have peace and quiet so I can soak up all the Camaro juices...Sitting in the car brought back the good old days. There are TONS of positives about the car that we all know and agree on but there are some things that SCREAM "CHEAP" about the Interior.

Remember, I bleed Chevy blue and I will call a spade a spade. I thank the God above for my family, health and good fortune thoughout my life. I'm blessed and done well. I know the value of a buck and if I wanted a vette I would have bought one. To me 38K is alot of money. Don't tell me, "oh hey the car is cheap, its only 38K".

Today, after I sat in the car at the Ft.Lauderdale show I have 3 more gripes.

1-The ip is hard plastic, not like the cushion dash like most other cars today like the Malibu.

2-What were they thinking......If you are sitting in the passenger seat and want to let the person in the back seat out, its a 2 step operation. Even the colbalt has a 1 step slide. Make matters worse, the passenger seat is half power, only power is recline. Don't tell me the back seat is only for show, if its only show why put it there? It has a back seat and I want to use it otherwise I'd buy a Vette.

3-No light for vanity mirrors.

This car costs 38K, how much did Chevy really save by the above cost cutting measures?
Bean counters say if we save a dime here times 80,000 cars thats alot of profit. but guess what, you can cut costs TOO MUCH and there will be no volume...:(

I will return to the show tomorrow for a second look and sad to say I will spend some time in the SRT-8.

=bobby
2010SSRSIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #459
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSIO View Post
Well, I too had some of the same issues but I really like the Camaro looks and nostalgia. My neighbor damn him brought home a new White Challenger last night. Smaller engine automatic but it sure looks good. So good I am going to go look at a Challenger tonight... orange with the Hemi 6.1 .... I very seriously doubt I would ever buy it.. My wife would kill me and I have always thought Dodge cars were crap.
Take care
Don't do it!! LOL despite the Camaro's drawbacks its still miles ahead of that Hemi for sure. My friend has the SRT and man does that thing inhale gas, sheesh....He gets like 15mpg on the highway and 11 in the city.

-bobby
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #460
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
I think the Challenger looks fantastic (exterior) but man I don't like the interior, and the handling is not up there with the Camaro.
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #461
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
i think Homer Simpson put it best when he said
"Meh, whatchya gonna do"
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote