Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Pfadt suspension accommodates GM Manufacturing Change for Camaro

Hello all!

It has surfaced recently that there has been an upper spring isolator change for the Camaro, by General Motors. Quite frankly, we didn't see this as a big deal when we heard about it, hence why we never addressed it on the forums like other manufacturers have. We thought everyone had done enough engineering development to have this not be an issue. We just want to let everyone know, that our Pfadt Drop Springs, Coilovers, whatever...has no problem fitting with this recent spring isolator change from GM. Other companies are scampering to get some product revision to the market that accommodates this new part from GM. This means you will need to let them know what year car you have, take off your wheel and see what color isolator you have...makes NO difference to us at all! We just want to know if you have a Camaro!

Bottom line: Pfadt Racing has you covered. All of our springs/coilovers are unaffected by this change. Take a look at the pics below.

New isolator on left, old one on the right

Our Existing Drop Springs Fit Just fine with the new GM part

And, obviously since we discard any isolator in our coilover installation procedure, our coilovers still will work just fine. Our upper spring mount fits on the OEM strut top, which does not change.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 04-27-2010 at 12:01 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
bluedevil02

Drives: 2LT/RS
interesting....i wonder if we could attribute this change to the sounds & issues, myself and other members have had in regards to the front suspension...what do u guys think?
bluedevil02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
bluedevil02

Drives: 2LT/RS
pfadt...do u have a link or any more info on this change?
bluedevil02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil02 View Post
interesting....i wonder if we could attribute this change to the sounds & issues, myself and other members have had in regards to the front suspension...what do u guys think?
This certainly could be part of it, but I am not speaking from any inside info at all. In my experience in working directly with GM on race programs, a large percentage of changes were cost-driven. So, this may have been a combination of that, and customer/dealer feedback. Killing two birds with one stone, by taking a cross-over part from another vehicle, and also changing material/dimensions to a different spec.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil02 View Post
pfadt...do u have a link or any more info on this change?
The change was brought up to us by a Chevrolet dealer, in regards to their current supplier of drop springs being poor quality and not fitting. They informed us of the part change, and the front spring changing as well. Besides the part numbers that have already been posted on the forums, we really don't have any more info than what was brought to us. Is there something you want us to find out?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
from the looks of the new part in the pictures, i don't think many brands with quality springs will have any issues. it looks more like a change of material than a change of design.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
from the looks of the new part in the pictures, i don't think many brands with quality springs will have any issues. it looks more like a change of material than a change of design.
We agree. But the material change now consists of a part with two materials, rather than just being simply a rubber piece as before. This change resulted in a piece that is slightly thicker, in all three directions because of the nature of the design to begin with. This could affect other manufactures negatively...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post

Pfadt, do you think the redesign will solve the problem being described here?

-Funk
Thats an excellent question. Thank you for pointing me to that thread. This could very well be the reason for the change! I can't confirm for sure, as we can't verify any noise difference between the old and new parts on a stock setup anymore due to our car being heavily modified with our own products on it. If you are looking for a solution to clunking on your front end, it may be a good idea to call your local dealer and get the new parts. The part number that was sent to us 20859337. Not sure as to the cost. BUT with that said, the dealer also informed us that the spring changed, presumably to the OEM Buick Lacrosse spring (just a hunch). So, depending on what springs you have, they may/may not fit to begin with. If you have our springs, they WILL fit for sure.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
+1, extremely pleased with my pfadt setup.
Thank you! Glad to see you are posting your experience!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
So there was a spring change to accommodate the new isolator?

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
My Pfadt lowering springs have been perfect and make the car even more fun to drive. They have been very consistent and I like them a lot better than the other ones I had on my G8
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
So there was a spring change to accommodate the new isolator?

-Funk
I can not say 100% for sure this is the case, because I myself have not had them in my hands. But from the information given to me by the Chevrolet Dealership we are currently working with (which I trust), yes, the springs have changed. Again, we have not verified the accuracy of this info, but we trust that they know what they are talking about!

Do you have the OEM springs on your Camaro?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
My Pfadt lowering springs have been perfect and make the car even more fun to drive. They have been very consistent and I like them a lot better than the other ones I had on my G8
Fantastic! Thank you for posting!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
You should spend more time in suspension threads... They all poke at each other. Now that I think about it, I don't recall Pete ever doing it
No disrespect, but you will NEVER see someone from Pfadt comment in a competitors thread unless directly addressed, or it's relevant. We do not poke at anyone, and will always be on-topic. This is the standard we uphold.

Everyone, please keep this thread on-topic.

Tags
coilovers, drop springs, isolator