Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #141
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'd say that 392 cubic inches is pretty big (new SRT8 Challenger), and obviously ... 427 is even bigger (Z06 Corvette).
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #142
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'd say that 392 cubic inches is pretty big (new SRT8 Challenger), and obviously ... 427 is even bigger (Z06 Corvette).
lol, indeed...i mean Pontiac's 400 wasnt a big block, it wasnt a small block but it wasnt a big block haha, but my point was the T/A 400 was the last big cube motor of the oldin' days, even if it wasnt a big block.
But i would definatly love to see a new T/A, be cool to have a 6.6L motor in it too but thats wishful thinking (even though it was really a 6.5 haha, but who's picky? Besides, the 392 Hemi is really a 391 LOL) Just having a Pontiac Trans Am back would be too amazing...a T/A, a GTO, and maybe a tiny 2-seat turbo car not unlike the Solstice was only...better lol, none of that Vibe crap or G6 re-badged Cobalt stuff
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #143
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Yes, Fbodfather mentioned Firebird enthusiasts in his message....I forgot about that, when I read that it made me wonder if GM had plans to remake that model...there was a Firebird conversion done recently to a Camaro body....hmmm, quite possibly this could be the Camaro based platform then.

I will never say never---------cuz never is a long time..........

But GM bringing back the Firebird? As much as I wish we were - and yes, I wish we were..........go here for more on that: www.aintgonnahappen.com...........
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #144
Red Rider

Drives: 427 Camaro Z28
Rumour mill tells me it's a Zeta based Chevy Impala / Chevelle ala GB replacement

But I for some time have been expecting a FIREBIRD / TRANS AM variant
eg:The plant Tour coming up in June

- Camaros & Firebirds are welcome to the GM / OCC Show
(The Ontario Camaro Club has never invited Firebirds before)

It's nice to dream eh!

Last edited by Red Rider; 02-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #145
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Pontiac isn't coming back.

The Firebird isn't coming back.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #146
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Guess what movie is on TV right now... A movie that made me want to get this beautiful car. They know what they are doing.

The GM team has done a lot for us, providing us with this great new car. In return, we have done a lot for them buy purchasing so many of them. WE are on top at the moment. Do we have the fastest at the moment? Maybe not. Of course WE want to be the best, but being the BEST takes time. Be happy with what you have, I'm not sure why anyone should be disappointed. Patience. I'm pumped to see what knew car is in store, but I know I have one out in the garage I waited for, so I can wait again.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #147
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
What?

WHAT????

Dont make me dig out the front wheel drive thread.... Im pretty sure you put out some serious future product info......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #148
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:

wellnow..........let me see.........

*gets out recipe box*

*gets out cookbook*

*gets out "mom" Settlemire's recipes*

What SHALL we serve your words with............????

Hmmmmm

Perhaps a marinara sauce?

...........mebbe pesto? (one of my favorites)

........or perhaps toss them very simply with a bit of salt, pepper, and a smidge of butter.........

........and would you like fries with that?

By the way - why do you say we disappoint people?

By any stretch, the new Camaro's doing great. (and no, we're not resting on our laurels....)

The Corvette ZR1

The CTS-V

The LaCrosse

The Cruze

The Verano

The Regal GS

The Volt

The Equinox (STILL can't build enough of 'em)

.....Tidbit: Chevrolet outsold Toyota in January by over 25,000 units.......and Ford by over 4,000.

That is not meant to be arrogant - but we really ARE trying - and we really are on a roll - and America is starting to realize that we offer some of the world's best vehicles....

Chevrolet is also the fastest growing automobile brand in the world..........

.........not sure why you feel we disappoint peopile...........

Personally, I like "ARROGANCE" ....

I own 3 of the vehicles listed above currently, Camaro, CTS-V (2011) and Z06 and have 3 other GM vehicles

I love being "ARROGANT" with the 2010 Camaro.

Not to long ago, I was at an event in Orlando, called the "Festival of Speed" in which their were cars that cost in excess of $1.5 million dollars, over 120 exotics on display and a 2010 Camaro stole the show by getting 1 of 10 awards , "Chairman's Award" It wasn't the vinyl wrap that got their attention, it was what one judged commented "the lines of the Camaro, just ooze sex appeal"

And in regards to what GM is not releasing about HP / Z28 , I like it that way! It's like unwrapping a present you hinted you wanted, but don't know for sure until it's unwrapped......................
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #149
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
MO a Comin!

GM could resurrect a Trans AM under the GMC label without resurrecting Pontiac. Almost sounds like Easter doesn't it? I just want to know if / when we can start placing orders and putting in down payments with a dealer who will be able to deliver! Any dealers on the board here amongst the highest volume?

And, with all the emphasis on performance from F & C I believe that, now that their financial handcuffs are off, and GM admittedly playing catch up, we will probably start to see them moving faster and gaining momentum on a broader spectrum of products. Can't wait for Wednesday!

The Big Mo is coming!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #150
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
GM could resurrect a Trans AM under the GMC label without resurrecting Pontiac. Almost sounds like Easter doesn't it?
I can't even begin to tell you how wrong that statement is. Absolutely not. No.

Not trying to be mean. Just sayin'.

Lack of brand direction is partly what got GM into trouble in the first place. Selling a performance coupe under a brand that has already been established for selling mid-level trucks, SUVs, and CUVs is a terrible idea.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #151
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Plumb crazy is an 'interesting' color - and I'm anxious to see how many of them get built and sold.........I'll bet you dinner that the numbers will be very low.......and while this is very subjective, the only ones I've seen are in shows or on dealers' lots.......I have yet to see one being driven..........
Not to disagree with you, but... My mom owns a Plum Crazy SRT8 and drives it to work every day except when its snowy/icy or if there's going to be a LOT of rain.

I'll stick with my camaro though, and let me say... Synergy Green is an amazing color! I've been heavily debating spraying it onto my 4th gen!
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #152
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Well -- I'm sorry that you feel the Camaro is a disappointment (maybe I'm not quite understanding everything you're saying.....)
Quote:

We could have 'rushed' the car -- but that wouldn't be the right thing to do. Yes -- you saw the Camaro in Transformers....let me assure you that the whole idea of putting the Camaro in Transformers was hotly debated.

On one side - there's your argument: Show the car longgggg before it will hit the streets.

The other side was to say "No thanks -- use a Mustang or a BMW or a VW".......

Can you imagine? I'm glad we put the Camaro in the movie (as, I think, most enthusiasts agree) and I will also venture to say that it's one of the reasons the Camaro has been so successful. (every child sees a Camaro and sees "Bumblebee!"...)
fbodfather,

First, please understand that I do NOT feel that the new Camaro is a disappointment. To the contrary I feel it is the best built car in its category in the world and if taking time to get it right was what it took, then touché. My point is that during this process and the bankruptcy us Camaro enthusiast felt disappointment with all that was happing in the “F” and “C” world throughout the wait. Darn it was a long and hard time having to take smack from those “F” and “C” owners till the Camaro came out. This was the reason for the disappointment.

Oh God yes I agree that a Camaro in Transformers was the best, no, the only choice! But taking smack from those other guys while waiting was really hard and you must admit there were many professionals in the automotive industry that felt disappointment that the Camaro was not out sooner.

Quote:
Yes - Chrysler beat us to the punch - but when you look at the differences between a Challenger and Charger versus a Camaro and the Holden Zeta - you'll see that we essentially have a new car in the Camaro - everything from the cowl forward had to be clean-sheet......plus a whole lot of other stuff..........

I agree completely, again please do not misunderstand my comments. I know the Camaro is a completely new and much better car then the “F” or “C” models. But, I have to be honest standing by watching these models come out was extremely disappointing. The proof is in the fact that I waited for and purchased a Camaro and not an “F” or “C” model. On top of that I give the general credit for having the insight to use the current chassis, the “F” models solid rear axle will never make it a competitor to the Camaro and according to them it would cost an additional 4 to 6 thousand dollars a car to copy the Camaro. So dollar for dollar the Camaro is a much better buy too, dare I say steal…now don’t get any ideas about increasing prices….lol

Quote:
-- keep in mind that we were still trying to support 8 Divisions back in 2006- whereas Chrysler had three. I'll put the current GM Portfolio up against Chrysler's current portfolio -- and I think you'll agree that we invested a LOT of money in the past 4-5 years -and that's why our products are winning in the marketplace......(count the number of new cars and trucks that Chrysler has introduced since January 9, 2006 and today - versus GM............see what I mean? And lest we forget: The Mustang is Ford's Corvette. The Challenger is Chrysler's Corvette. (for now) I will be more than happy to take them to Spring Mountain with their best - and introduce them to something called a Z06 - or a ZR1..........(and we ain't done yet!)

Your points are right on and again I am not disappointed in the products just the timing which as you have so eloquently pointed out was just the way it turned out to be. We are all just very glad that the general is back!

Quote:
I have yet to see a Challenger convertible - so I have to assume that the Challenger owners are 'disappointed' as well. Yes, Mustang has a convertible....

Yep most likely those one or two buyers are still disappointed and maybe the “C” is not too worried about them. But the tens of thousands of future Camaro convertible owners are no longer disappointed…

Quote:
I beg you to go drive a Mustang Convertible and then a Camaro convertible - there is simply no comparison.......(ask any of the Camaro Disciples that have driven both...or read the road tests from auto journalists)

I will get my chance; the Camaro convertible is the next ride in my garage.

Quote:
Plumb crazy is an 'interesting' color - and I'm anxious to see how many of them get built and sold.........I'll bet you dinner that the numbers will be very low.......and while this is very subjective, the only ones I've seen are in shows or on dealers' lots.......I have yet to see one being driven..........
Quote:

Houndstooth? Very retro - and available thru SLP.
Color and interior, while important to a few of us, is not a deal breaker for the majority of current or future Camaro owners. And speaking as a GM stock owner I would rather have sales.. As a Camaro enthusiast though, I am still disappointed that the retro Hugger Orange has not yet made it into the cards.

Quote:
Will we tell you everything that's planned? Absolutely not - simply because, as you point out - this is a very competitive business.....and we are not going to show our cards before we need to.

Here is my point about communication. When I first learned of the new Camaro I knew from the start that I wanted to experience the 5th generation of the car I grew up with as a teenager; a Hugger Orange, Z28 Camaro Convertible… So when the 5th Gen Camaro was released to my disappointment neither the convertible nor the Z28 was available. So I waited patiently and faithfully, subscribing to all of the auto blogs and forums, visiting all of the dealers, attending all of the auto shows where I would ask any GM rep I could find to ask; when is the convertible due out? When is the Z28 coming out? And all throughout this time the answers I received and read about were all over the place. One day GM is doing a Camaro convertible, one day they are not. One day GM is doing a Z28, one day they aren’t. It really began looking like neither was going to happen, so in April 2010 I went and purchased the closest thing to it, a 2010 Inferno Orange coupe just to get a Camaro, because it was killing to see them on the street and me and my faith sitting by waiting for a model that GM themselves could not, or would not confirm they were even building. So now less than 12 months later there is finally a convertible and next year maybe, with even more faith, there will be a Z28 but who knows and it’s too late for me because I now own an Inferno Orange coupe. So now that the convertible is out, GM has once again placed me in the “what if” game. Should I buy a convertible now or watch as everyone around me drives one while me and my faith wait for a Z28 that might never come to be. All this would be no problem if I could just afford to buy and sell a Camaro each time I get closer to that original dream of a 5th Gen Hugger Orange Camaro Convertible…

Quote:
Please pay attention to the sites on Wednesday from Chicago. I don't think you'd be 'disappointed'......
Quote:

I think Challenger and Mustang owners may be disappointed - esp. because the Camaro is outselling them - and January once again showed that there is a preference for Camaro.

Now - I don't mean to belittle your points or to take them lightly. To do that implies that we are invincible - and we are not.
And I in no way meant to imply that the new GM was anything but an outstanding, innovative and caring company. I met most of the Camaro team at Carlisle last year and I can tell you that they are the most dedicated team I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I was really impressed that most brought their families with them and the amount of time they took out of their lives to meet and greet the Camaro owners.

Quote:
Rest assured that the last thing we want to do is to disappoint our customers - that said:
Quote:

We would much rather 'disappoint' you by taking longer to bring you the best products - rather than 'disappoint' you by producing and delivering an inferior product.

Lastly- as Number 3 points out - we also had to deal with Bankruptcy.......

I will say this for the 20 millionth time:

Have Faith.

I don't believe I've steered the Camaro Enthusiast community wrong yet - and I don't intend to..........

Let's chat Thursday!
Joe
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #153
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Again, "keep the faith" with Pontiac, its never too late, as for a GMC Trans Am?...i knew i should have mentioned GMC along with Buick and Chevy when i made the T/A / Cuda comparison LOL...but hey, at least i can say im partially responsible for getting the website for further details out of fbodfather! Im gonna be studying it religiously all night O_O
I'll keep you all posted....

SOOOO with no Pontiac which means no T/A or GTO id hope for a Chevelle, even though im fairly certain its a Camaro, i would love to see a Chevelle, itd be pretty awsome to be able to have some choice when it comes to muscle from GM, more than just which trim model Camaro you want ya know?
But if this is what is going to be announced, and you dont have to say yes or no, but i just wanna say, if it is and is meant to compete with the Charger...it should have a 2-door option haha
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #154
zora2mac8
Deano

Drives: Cyber Gray Metallic SS
AWD car to battle with the evo's and that other trash

HTML Code:
http://ny5thgen.com/ZORAMAC8%20Z.htm
zora2mac8 is offline   Reply With Quote