Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
Whitey0817

Drives: 2013 2SS
Sunroof is stuck open...help!

2013 2SS, shouldn't matter as far as the sunroof goes. First new post, and yes I have been searching this forum via google for some help with no luck. Here is problem...went to close my sunroof the other day, it slid forward just fine to the vent position, but will not sit down to close at all. It'll slide back and forth all day, but just won't sit down. I cannot hear anything like a motor struggling or any kind of binding, grinding, etc...it just stops moving, like it thinks it's closed or something. Track appears to be clean and greased adequately with nothing broken as far as I can tell. Obviously the fuse is good since the motor is working. I replaced the sunroof switch (OEM) today thinking that may be the issue, but that didn't work. Any ideas? The car has only 19K miles on it and this shouldn't happen. It's not a daily driver and it's garage kept, but its pop-up storm season and i'd like to drive/wash it!

Thanks, Dan
Whitey0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey0817 View Post
2013 2SS, shouldn't matter as far as the sunroof goes. First new post, and yes I have been searching this forum via google for some help with no luck. Here is problem...went to close my sunroof the other day, it slid forward just fine to the vent position, but will not sit down to close at all. It'll slide back and forth all day, but just won't sit down. I cannot hear anything like a motor struggling or any kind of binding, grinding, etc...it just stops moving, like it thinks it's closed or something. Track appears to be clean and greased adequately with nothing broken as far as I can tell. Obviously the fuse is good since the motor is working. I replaced the sunroof switch (OEM) today thinking that may be the issue, but that didn't work. Any ideas? The car has only 19K miles on it and this shouldn't happen. It's not a daily driver and it's garage kept, but its pop-up storm season and i'd like to drive/wash it!

Thanks, Dan
Have you disconnected the battery. That might reset everything. You'll probably have to redo the window settings also.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Whitey0817

Just did that. Didn't work. Had to reset my driver door window, so I know the computer reset. This is frustrating...
Old 06-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Have you tried a GENTLE push? Maybe get someone to help you work the switch and you can push it so you know how much force is applied? Nothing crazy, just a little 'help' getting it to try and seat. Not enough to break anything, as most of the track parts are plastic.

When you posted it this last night I went through a ton of posts to try and find others with the same issue. A few were able to get it down like this. Others had issues with the tracks, switch, etc. I am sure you read the same stuff as me. I didn't find any that were stuck in the vent position like yours.

One time I tried opening mine and it was stuck closed. It would open a very tiny bit and then would stop, like it was jammed. I would reclose it and try again and nothing. Then a day later I tried again and it worked perfectly fine like nothing ever happened. I never figured it out.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
There are tests for voltage and resistance and Diagnostic Trouble Codes but I didn't think you'd be doing that, a relearn might fix it
Attached Images

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
Whitey0817

That worked! Held the switch closed for about 10 seconds and boom. Works like a charm now! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

This forum is great. Nice work silversleeper.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 06-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
This forum is great. Nice work silversleeper.

I figured it was worth a try instead of going through all the pin voltages and codes looking for a short or sunroof control module or body control module replacement.
That info was burried in about 20 pages, just on the sunroof, of the 10,000 page service manual.

The idea is if we can figure out if something works then the next guy or girl who has the same problem can and fix it too.
At least OP had the courtesy to say it worked. I hate it when we spend our time trying to find a solution and 3 out of 4 times they don't even report back if it worked or was something different. That's fine if they paid for an answer but we're just trying to help each other here.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post

I figured it was worth a try instead of going through all the pin voltages and codes looking for a short or sunroof control module or body control module replacement.
That info was burried in about 20 pages, just on the sunroof, of the 10,000 page service manual.

The idea is if we can figure out if something works then the next guy or girl who has the same problem can and fix it too.
At least OP had the courtesy to say it worked. I hate it when we spend our time trying to find a solution and 3 out of 4 times they don't even report back if it worked or was something different. That's fine if they paid for an answer but we're just trying to help each other here.
Yeah that manual has helped me plenty of times. Even when using CTRL-F to search for something, you still have to page through a ton of unrelated duplicates. But I would rather that than not have it at all. I saved the pdf on 4 separate hard drives just in case one fails lol.

I also agree on the follow-ups. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I found a good Camaro5 thread concerning my issue from years ago only to have it go cold in the end when the original person didn't update it. When you do your own work on these cars it doesn't take long to realize just what an invaluable resource this forum can be.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post

Nice work. You saved the op some money trying to troubleshoot and fix the problem. And yes you're right about people not coming back.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
I am hopping on this thread hoping y’all might be able to tell me why my sunroof doesn’t work.
Quick backstory: Own a 13 ZL1 without a sunroof. Wrecked it, kept it, transferring all non-broken parts (all electronics) to a ‘12 shell (it was an SS with a sunroof). Picked up a used working sunroof, switch, controller, and harnesses.

I used the diagram above to check all connections to the main harness from the overhead switch as well as the harness to the Sunroof control module. The control module has power, and the switch wiring is connected and shows resistance for both directions. I’ve also checked the motor by giving it power to ensure tracks move in both durations. What I haven’t figured out is why the control module doesn’t initiate movement of the motor.

Any thoughts?
And thanks. DJ
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
don't ya miss the days when the sunroof control module was your finger a switch and a relay?
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #13
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
don't ya miss the days when the sunroof control module was your finger a switch and a relay?
I know right.
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #14
silversleeper
Big Crow

Because the Body Control Module wasn't programmed for a sunroof?

https://rapidgator.net/file/b6b0d388...anual.pdf.html