Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
martinezj454545

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6
Exclamation Curb Damage/Steering Wheel Alignment

Okay so my driver front tire blew and basically i lost control and ran into a curb going around 40 mph hitting a sign and messed up my driver side front and rear rims and bellow is the outcomes of the damage. I replace my rims back to stock but i noticed some problems after i did.

1) after i put my stock tires i noticed that in order to go straight on a straight road i had to tilt the steering wheel to the right and if i put the steering wheel where its suppose to be (straight) the car would lean to the left. I checked under the car nothing seems to be bent of broken, what can i do to get this problem fix ASAP.

2) After the minor accident i noticed that the driver side front wheel was hitting the inside of the wheel well ( the inner liner) every time it hit a good bump but only did it to that side and that's it. Could it be that the shocks got messed up when i ran up the curb?

3) I also noticed all these light come on after i run the car a couple feet on the road and none of the lights come off. I check the manual and it said it need service but is there something i can check before sending it in to the dealer? Thanks for the help in advance.
Attached Images

martinezj454545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
martinezj454545

No one Really?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
The reason why your service stablitrac is on cause most likely that your steering wheel angle sensor is out of wack.. Or you bent the shit out of your suspenion. You hit the curb hard!
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
I slid on some leaves a while back, and bent my rear toe bar. It through the stabilitrak warning on. After replacing the bars (With aftermarket!) I had it aligned and problem solved.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
martinezj454545

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrown562 View Post
The reason why your service stablitrac is on cause most likely that your steering wheel angle sensor is out of wack.. Or you bent the shit out of your suspenion. You hit the curb hard!
I went under the car and nothing seemed to be bent, cracked, or broken unless im not looking at the right place..
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
martinezj454545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
I slid on some leaves a while back, and bent my rear toe bar. It through the stabilitrak warning on. After replacing the bars (With aftermarket!) I had it aligned and problem solved.
TOE BAR? where is that located for i can check it out and see if its bent or cracked.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Kid

Sorry, I just realized the damage was up front. I hot my rear wheel into the curb. The toe bar bolts to the front of the hub carrier, and bolts on the other end to the main rear pod assembly. It adjusts the toe for the rear wheels.
You probably just knocked your tie rod out of whack. If it's not bent, a simply alignment will fix it. Make sure they do a 4-wheel alignment.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
martinezj454545

Quote:
Sorry, I just realized the damage was up front. I hot my rear wheel into the curb. The toe bar bolts to the front of the hub carrier, and bolts on the other end to the main rear pod assembly. It adjusts the toe for the rear wheels.
You probably just knocked your tie rod out of whack. If it's not bent, a simply alignment will fix it. Make sure they do a 4-wheel alignment.
alrightill take it in to the shop today and see what they say ill post results.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
similar thing happened to me, 2 shops suspected bad tie rod. And even after I told my dealer to replace it, they just acted like they did and I still have most of the same problem. They cant reach alignment specs without first fixing the issue which I was told was the Tie rod is bad. Its not bent, but Its not good anymore after hitting this huge pot hole. My dealer or the guy I deal with is incapable of fixing it. I may have to bring it somewhere else.

But I was told you can tell its the tie rod if you turn the wheel left and fast and hear a click. There should be no noise at all.
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
martinezj454545

Well just took the car to the shop and i was totally wrong, everything was bent once i put it up on the lift and unfortunately it was not just on one side but both side. So im going to have to get the insurance to pay for all this since its going to be a lot more than i was anticipating, but one thing that came good about it was that the shop and insurance is willing to buy the ZL1 front bumper and install it without me paying anything out of pocket, So instead of the V6 bumper which i wasn't to happy about now i get a ZL1 bumper and all the dings and scratches off the car. So i guess something good did come out of this. Plus they are going to fix the Aftermarket wheels and put on new tires.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Kid

While the insurance is feeling generous, try and get some aftermarket suspension parts. They're much beefier, and possibly cheaper than factory!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
While the insurance is feeling generous, try and get some aftermarket suspension parts. They're much beefier, and possibly cheaper than factory!
THIS. Get some Pedders.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBC View Post
similar thing happened to me, 2 shops suspected bad tie rod. And even after I told my dealer to replace it, they just acted like they did and I still have most of the same problem. They cant reach alignment specs without first fixing the issue which I was told was the Tie rod is bad. Its not bent, but Its not good anymore after hitting this huge pot hole. My dealer or the guy I deal with is incapable of fixing it. I may have to bring it somewhere else.

But I was told you can tell its the tie rod if you turn the wheel left and fast and hear a click. There should be no noise at all.
If you would like to provide me with any details about the issue you are experiencing, please feel free to contact me at any time. I would like to look into this further for you. Along with the details, I need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage and involved dealership.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Tags
accident, curb, damage, rims, tires