Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #43
ac223mal

Drives: car
Quote:
Today 05:40 PM
80Zedder
Good sir, not trying to be a jerk, but methinks you need a pair of spectacles. Re-read my post old spice.
Ive read and re-read even before I posted and did indeed see the "impossible" in your post.

Since I am not a paint guy and know next to nothing about paint, just wondering what would cause what I have experienced on my car.

Just looking for your expertise and opinion.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #44
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
"ANY non metal parts on your camaro WAS NOT painted at the factory. we dont paint plastic just the bodies."

Again, any issue with soft paint or whatnot you can direct to your dealer, but since we do not paint the front and back bumpers, a third party company does, example "AGS or Ventra or Flex N Gate"

Although we "management and engineers" can call up said companys and sent people over to see about paint quality or paint prep on the parts, we have no direct touch with these parts.

Your picture is disheartening, and i would be suuuuuuuuuuuper pissed if that was my car and DAMAND nothing less then a new bumper.

IF YOU RAISE enough of a stink, you will get what you want, or comparable.

The 3M diamond dust polish is what we use in the plant, it comes in a gray and white. We use it to buff out the wetsand marks in the polishbooths. Interestingly enough, it also works to just polish the car, take of scrape marks on plastic peices "bumpers and the like, not black peices it will burn them!" and it also takes out scratches in windows and all glass " to a point, a deep scratch is out of the question"

You can probably find it at any autobody store, but it is quite expensive.

If anyone wants to know what it looks like i can take a pic of it later on.
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #45
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
you're a genius and I think I love you!
if thats you in the picture im in love with you to . we all f up in our spelling who cares .
Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #46
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
Ive read and re-read even before I posted and did indeed see the "impossible" in your post.

Since I am not a paint guy and know next to nothing about paint, just wondering what would cause what I have experienced on my car.

Just looking for your expertise and opinion.
You're going to find this flat front end is going to eat quite a bit more bugs and rocks than the 4th gen cars...I've noticed the same concern on our C6 vs. our C5 vette...Rock chips are going to happen...and if you live in the deep south...even the bugs are big enough to do damage on those flat surfaces. Hope you can get the dealer to fix it as I can understand how disheartening the first ding, dent, scratch can be.

As far as soft paint, I'm guessing you took a pretty sharp pebble to the bumper, I'm sure thrown by a truck maybe even car lengths away. I still remembering watching a small rock get tossed by a dump truck 10-15 car lengths ahead of me...hit at least two other cars before smacking my windshield...gotta love the crap on the roads!
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #47
sooner25

Drives: 1985 Iroc Z, 2010 2SS/RS
I have used the clay bar and put a few coats of zaino on it, and there are some weird little pits in my paint. I'll try to take some pics but i think they are too small. Any one have any idea what they could be? Each little spot has a discoloration around it and they are all over the car.
sooner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #48
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I think it's from rail rust, but a few pictures will be needed to confirm.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #49
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
I think it's from rail rust, but a few pictures will be needed to confirm.
rail dust "should" clay off.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #50
sooner25

Drives: 1985 Iroc Z, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
rail dust "should" clay off.

exactly. I've clayed cars several times and the rail dust has always come off. It just seems like something different.
sooner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #51
GangGreen

Drives: Victory Red LT RS Born:3/3/09
Paint flaking off :(

I lifted the hood to get a look at the engine compartment and noticed some wax build up under the front of the hood near where the hood latches to the car. As i wiped the wax off with my finger, the red paint came off in chips down to the metal. There are some spots under there with bubbles, and when you touch them the paint flakes off. I'm not so happy about this, but Chevy promises it will look factory new when done. For their sake, I hope so!!! I own too many guns to piss me off. Oh yeah, the service writer tries to blame the unions for this. I think he was drunk or on some meds.

GangGreen
GangGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #52
ac223mal

Quote:
Today 01:52 PM
80Zedder "ANY non metal parts on your camaro WAS NOT painted at the factory. we dont paint plastic just the bodies."

Again, any issue with soft paint or whatnot you can direct to your dealer, but since we do not paint the front and back bumpers, a third party company does, example "AGS or Ventra or Flex N Gate"

Although we "management and engineers" can call up said companys and sent people over to see about paint quality or paint prep on the parts, we have no direct touch with these parts.

Your picture is disheartening, and i would be suuuuuuuuuuuper pissed if that was my car and DAMAND nothing less then a new bumper.

IF YOU RAISE enough of a stink, you will get what you want, or comparable
80Zedder, thank you for coming back and taking the time to reply. Any advise that you could give to help in dealing with the dealer would be helpful, if you can that is.

I really want to thank you for your time and I hope I didn't offend or piss you off, by asking the questions. I was really hoping you would chime in on this issue. Again thank you!

Quote:
Today 04:12 PM
GaryTucker
You're going to find this flat front end is going to eat quite a bit more bugs and rocks than the 4th gen cars...I've noticed the same concern on our C6 vs. our C5 vette...Rock chips are going to happen...and if you live in the deep south...even the bugs are big enough to do damage on those flat surfaces. Hope you can get the dealer to fix it as I can understand how disheartening the first ding, dent, scratch can be.
This is true, I guess, dang it...I guess the cause of my stress is that I have two other rock chips that took a little paint and clear off, but they didnt go all the way to the bumper. The area around those chips is hard to the touch and they don't look they will peel away. The chip that is in the picture the paint was like a skin, soft and plyable. I was afraid that it would peel away from the bumper. Now that the skin has been pulled away from the bumper it is no longer soft but hard and brittle. That is the cause of my stress.

Like I said I know next to nothing about paint, but that seemed odd to me.

Ill head down to the dealer next week on Monday and see what they say, Ill let you guys know.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #53
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Hope I didn't come across as too harsh, just trying to help out. I know how hard that first scratch is! I can still tell you right where it is on the Vette...unfortunately.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #54
ac223mal

Quote:
Today 07:36 AM
GaryTucker
Hope I didn't come across as too harsh, just trying to help out. I know how hard that first scratch is! I can still tell you right where it is on the Vette...unfortunately.
Absolutely not! And you did help me out, what you described was exactly what was going on in my head. The stess of that first blemish, man I was sick to my stomach. Even worse is I had tried to stay away from roads with heavy traffic and those crap roads.

I haven't had a new car since 1997 (for myself), so it seems I am out of touch so to speak with some of the things that are used these days. The new cars have been my wife's daily drivers that I never really worried about, I took care of them, but never planned on keeping them.

This car is a keeper and just want it to look good 10 years from now, heck 20 years from now.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #55
ac223mal

Cleaned the car today and found another chip an inch away from the one in the picture, this one is a little worse. It is ll the way through and no skin left to try and cover the chip.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #56
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
okay, so now we need to start the battle against rock chips, any ideas other than bras?